New CRT shader from Guest + CRT Guest Advanced updates

Nice, time to do a little tweaking them post up my preset. Thanks once again for this amazing shader

2 Likes

@guest.r, thanks to fix the PrescaleX with TATE. The value 3 is good for MAME. What is the filter name?

The Vignette Strength parameter is no longer working in the ntsc shader.

2 Likes

You are welcome, i guess this update makes more authentic presets possible, and also nicer looking. :smiley:

:+1:

Thanks for testing the versions, i will update the shaders soon.

Edit: guess i found a vulkan/glcore or driver bug, since the “pre-shaders pass” with the ntsc-fast version refuses to be read as linear and the vignette is pixelated. Works normally with D3D11. Maybe does it work with nVidia gpu (vulkan or glcore) if someone could test…

4 Likes

I just finished posting my preset. I tried out your preset up there, I like it but I ended up using your other preset that uses the mask 10 slot mask combo, I just love that preset way more. I managed to reduce the moire some simply by defaulting the “scanline saturation/mask falloff” parameter. I wanted to keep it the way you had it tweaked but that moire was getting to me lol. It’s somewhat still there but not like how it was before. Other than that I like how it came out, hopefully the guys will like it too

2 Likes

On Linux with an nvidia gpu, vignette works fine in the ntsc-fast preset, but has no effect in the normal ntsc preset.

This is with glcore and vulkan.

3 Likes

Thanks, current AMD gpu drivers are a bit wonky i guess, i could fix the issue indefinitely on my side. :grin: Normal ntsc version has a small bug tho, is fixed now.

2 Likes

I now also compared performance in the latest update to the previous one. Performance is better on my GPU.

(Note that when testing shader perf using fast-forward, you need to disable “Fast-Forward Frameskip” in RA in “Settings->Frame Throttle”, otherwise the results will be completely bogus as the shader will run at the same framerate as without fast-forward.)

Previous version / New version

crt-guest-advanced: 185FPS / 200FPS
fast: 315FPS / 326FPS
fastest: 660FPS / 660FPS (same perf, maybe some bottleneck elsewhere)
hd: 292FPS / 315FPS
hires: 147FPS / 162FPS
ntsc: 134FPS / 177FPS
ntsc-fast: 285FPS / 300FPS

These are results with a severely underclocked GPU (a trick to stay passively cooled when not playing anything demanding.) With unlocked GPU clocks, framerates are in the thousands with a lot of FPS fluctuation making benchmarking kinda impossible.

3 Likes

Thanks for testing again. I assume the proportions between calculations and memory bandwidth could be better with the new versions, also deconvergence was reworked. Faster results are good news nevertheless. :grin: Fastest version was not re-hauled as it works differently from before.

New Release Version (2022-02-06-r1):

Notable changes:

• deconvergence reworked, works as intended now (== much better) (general release info)
  • vignette bug with ntsc version fixed
  • ntsc fast version: scanline gamma added, gamma tweaks, filtering tweak
  • ntsc shaders: linearize option removed as not needed
  • some duplicate parameter (smart) cleanup

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/5oQ1RIbA#MdB-KoHNCx10lwCoAqOqb3mws_XATFnWk2L8kKQ26-M

12 Likes

@guest.r, what option and value can i change the white point to 75k?

1 Like

In /shaders/guest/advanced/grade folder is a version of grade, which you can use to replace the pre-shaders-afterglow.slang pass. Is included with newer versions. Then you can set the White point temperature to 7504K.

2 Likes

New Release Version (2022-02-06-r2):

Notable changes:

• deconvergence reworked, works as intended now (== much better) (general release info)
  • vignette reworked with all versions
  • new trinitron LUT png’s

Download link:

https://mega.nz/file/80g2zaiI#xa6QO6008tvJFbDu7EfPWXQvSl3ER7hU6PEkhHn8Agk

9 Likes

@guest.r, your shader is not working properly with the flycast emulator…

In many CRT masks the image stays bluish.

crt-guest-advanced + standard setup + mask 0 = OK

crt-guest-advanced + standard setup + mask 1 = bluish

crt-guest-advanced + standard setup + mask 6 = bluish

1 Like

Do masks 1.0 and 6.0 work normally with other cores? Does this happen with new version only?

Normal with other cores.

Mask 1

Mask 6

I don’t know which version. But the problem was already in the previous one.

You can try crt-lottes with mask 1.0 to see if it happens with other shaders too. Maybe could it help to try another video driver. I don’t use flycast, so i can’t test.

1 Like

crt-lottes masks 1, 2 and 3 OK. Mask 4 bluish.

Mask 1

Mask 4

I changed vulkan to glcore driver and it worked!

crt-guest-advanced + mask 1

crt-guest-advanced + mask 6

Thanks!

3 Likes

Is there anyway we can get this new breakthrough Slot Mask pixel pattern in CRT-Guest-Advanced? @guest.r @MajorPainTheCactus

Sony PVM HDR 4K Shader

1 Like

1x4 slotmask works quite nicely at 1440p, even at 1080p with milder scanline setups, should do much better with 4k. The idea is not to double the slotmask size parameter, but to align the width with actual mask size and to select an appropriate height.

Example:

Slotmask4k

4 Likes

I think the area for improvement might be in the thickness of the black gap between the tiles. Isn’t @MajorPainTheCactus’s mask pattern thinner (and closer to the real thing) at least in that regard?

1 Like

This is a screenshot made in Retroarch, it would look differently when taking a photo and adjusting the brightness settings. Thickness of the ‘gap’ in general cannot be adjusted otherwise as in a pseudo manner by adjusting the slotmask intensity.

1 Like