New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Yeah, seeing it. No blend and transparency :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Sonkun, for the preset with Megadrive-Rainbows. Why does the screen shake like that? Anyway to change that in settings.

1 Like

Sorry, sorry, I’ve been out with a nasty cold the past few days, had me damn near bedridden so I was resting up but everything is good now.

As for the md rainbow presets yeah it’s been like that since the beginning, it comes preloaded that way. You can stop it by turning off the “signal offset” setting that’s a few settings down but for some reason the whole image becomes nasty looking once you turn that setting off. It’s the main reason I used that old mame ntsc shader instead of the default new one that “garbled” pixel look. You’d have to see it for yourself to know what I mean.

Then I won’t mess with it at all. Plus you got the other mixed signal so I’ll roll with that? I just think it got stronger for some reason.

1 Like

I plan on putting out a update soon where I adjusted the intensity of the md-rainbow presets. Couple other changes included as well.

New Version Release (11-11-2023)

Changes Made

• Uses guest.r’s latest shader update version (2023-11-12-r1).

• created a new “composite-standard” preset that gives basic dithering blending without any rainbows and artifacts:

• Composite presets that have rainbow artifacts have now been labeled “composite-artifacts” bringing the total presets up from 54 to 63.

• reduced “greenish” looking tint from the overall image on all presets giving whites and skin tones a overall better look so we’re going from this:

To this:

• Small tweak on sharpness settings.

• tuned down rainbow intensity on md-rainbow presets.

Grab the latest link in the first post.

9 Likes

Awesome stuff fella :partying_face:

2 Likes

@sonkun Wondering if you have any idea why the 4K presets aren’t displaying correctly on my Nvidia Shield. The Shield’s resolution is set to 4K 59.94, and I am using the latest stable 64-bit version of RetroArch straight from their website. The 1440p presets look amazing on my PC, so I was hoping to use these on my TV. This is the flat composite 4K slot-mask, but all of them seem to be doing this.

1 Like

I know what’s going on there, Shield TV isn’t in true 4k mode even though you have those settings activated.

If your home screen looks like this:

Then it’s being scaled down to 1080p still.

For true 4k mode go to settings/device preferences/developer options then look for this setting:

After turning that on reset the Shield then your home screen should be in true 4k mode like this:

Just to let you know though that the Shield simply isn’t powerful enough to run the 4k presets, here I am getting 24fps:

And this is on a overclocked Shield with cpu, gpu, ram maxed out in performance mode, still struggling. You’re better off just using the 1080p ones on Shield.

Oh wow, I had no idea! The performance this thing pushes out makes a bit more sense to me now, at least. I was always amazed this little device could push out 4K emulation the way it does. Now I know it actually doesn’t!

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I’ll try out the 1080p shaders this evening!

1 Like

I think the reason why it’s like that is because some apps don’t work right in 4k so I guess nvidia made it to where if anything looks messed up in 4k, it falls on you for choosing that mode.

By the way are you using the 2019 Shield TV? If so can you tell me if you get full 60fps when using the composite standard preset? I know the md rainbow presets will bring the Shield to its knees unless it’s overclocked.

1 Like

Yep, 2019 Shield TV Pro (bought it in 2020). I’m getting full speed on everything I’ve tried so far, but admittedly haven’t used many emulators yet. The most demanding I’ve used would be BSNES and MESEN. I’ll be messing around with it more today.

I was getting a lot of crashes with it when I saved 1080p slot-mask composite as a global preset, typically a second or two after the games had loaded. I set a 500ms offset in RetroArch for when shaders kick in and that seems to have solved the issue.

1 Like

Yeah I assume for cores like nes, master system, snes speeds should be good. I’m curious about systems like psx and n64.

That’s good information to know here. Those pics I took the other day were from the original 2015 Shield Pro which is why I’m curious about if there’s any difference between yours and mines as far as shader usage goes.

New Version Release (11-15-2023)

Changes Made

• Uses guest.r’s latest shader update version (2023-11-14-r1).

• Tweaked and raised Bright Boost Dark Pixels setting from .25 to .50. Dark scenes were looking too dark to me so I gave that area a little brightness boost.

Grab the pack in the first post.

Small update but it works towards the bigger picture. I think I’m more or less satisfied with how the current presets look at the moment. Still playing around with “smoothing” techniques without relying on the “smooth edging” shaders like scalefx but that’s another topic for another time.

6 Likes

New Version Release (11-19-2023)

Changes Made

• Uses guest.r’s latest shader update version (2023-11-18-r1)

• All composite presets use the improved NTSC Chroma Scaling/Bleeding setting to further reduce bleeding in 2-phased games giving colors more punch and the image more sharper:

Previous composite preset with chroma scaling at previous 2.25 setting:

Current look with chroma scaling set to the new max value at 4.00:

More before and after pics:

Previous look:

Current look:

Previous look:

Current look:

• Composite “megadrive-rainbow” presets have been sharpened a bit to try and match the current look of the new composite presets.

Grab the link in the first post.

@Millisar this update is for you my guy.

6 Likes

Amazing work as always! Looking forward to trying these out!

2 Likes

Thank you man I appreciate it. I hope you like the new look on all your Genesis/Megadrive games with the new composite presets.

1 Like

I was sick all week. I want to test this ASAP. Your post showing the clarity of the sonic sega into logo with max chroma sold me. That and the waterfall in the pic above looks really good.

1 Like

I’ve been going through my whole Genesis collection just trying out different games with these new presets, everything I throw at it looking sexy. Try it out when you can

2 Likes

Feeling experimental. Wanted to try sharpening my composite presets up while still keeping the dithering benefits:

Try them out and see what you think. Should I replace the current composite presets with these or keep them how they currently look?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yid8y9b6cxnx5wl/sonkun-sharp-composite-samples.zip/file

Place presets directly in the Shader folder.

5 Likes