New sonkun crt guest advanced hd presets thread

Yea did that, says the same error. Your previous version works fine though.

Setting Blue-Green Tint from 0.02 to -0.01 greatly improve colors on my side. Setting Gamma correct from 1.45 to 1.00 improves contrast.

This is from 1080p-guest-advanced-hd-slot-mask-rgb-sample-07-14-2024

Blue-Green Tint -0.01

Blue-Green Tint -0.01 & Gamma correct to 1.00

The preset still too bright for me but I think that’s probably due to monitor’s brightness difference.

here my aperture preset, most probably will look dark on your monitor but fine on mine.

3 Likes

I see the look you’re going for. From what I see we’re aiming for slightly different looks. If you notice the blue sky in my preset shot you can kind of see the little small “greenish” subpixels popping out, in your shot it’s a strict blue sky. Same for my reds, if you look close between those dark “squares” you can see the subpixels popping out there too, I guess you can call that the rgb subpixels? But yeah I’m aiming to bring those out.

As for our displays that’s a whole different wild card. I’m sure both mines and yours differs from not only each other’s but probably every else’s on here. I tweak on a standard plain old 65 inch 4k TV with all the settings left at factory settings. I try not to turn on or off anything within the tv menu settings. With that said I don’t know the brightness difference between mines and yours, it might not even be much of a difference. I just go out of my way to brighten up my presets because things look dark on my end after maxing out crt mask strengths, using the scanline mode in guest at 2.00 etc and other things that darken the image up.

3 Likes

Yes, those are popping out to allow the “blue” to go to a lighter tint -> light blue

also notice that in the raw image coming from the core the sky is actually more purple then blue!

So yes, at the end is all about personal preference/interpretation and the display tech we see those images on! :nerd_face:

4 Likes

That blue green tint setting actually helped me solve a case I’ve been having literally since the beginning of making presets. In the game Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter I specifically remember on the night time stage where it has the police on the right side of the stage there was this dark purplish area but the mask looked like a pixilated mess in that area, simply tweaking that one setting up two values fixed it to where I can actually see the “mask” there. I’m not home atm so I can’t show you a shot of what I mean. But that’s what got me started in really messing around with those tint settings.

You may have to show me a screen shot of how you got everything set up, I’m not sure why you’re having errors if everything was placed where it should be.

3 Likes

Ok round 4 of my tweaking craziness on the hunt for a new look. Couple of changes for this pack is I re arranged the sharpness in composite presets, made them, from what I see just a tiny bit sharper, lowered bloom distribution (they’re still bright as hell but has been lowered nonetheless) and retweaked saturation settings in grade plus other minor tweaks.

All images are composite:

Try the pack here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/qi1ceu43oou5c8d/sonkun-crt-guest-advanced-preset-samples07-20-2024.zip/file

Extract the pack, go into the folder and copy all the presets of choice and paste them directly into the shaders folder, not shaders_slang for them to load up. This pack also works exclusively with guest.r’s latest shader update (2024-05-18-r1, you can also simply update your slang shaders through RetroArch as guest.r’s updated pack has been added to the repo as of this posting), so please make sure you have that first before using this pack.

Also one other thing I should probably have mentioned since the beginning is make sure your pc (or whatever you use) display dynamic range is set to “full” or “Full RGB” or whatever it’s called on your system and not set to “limited”. My presets are made in that display mode so that will help in making all the difference on how they’ll look on your screen.

4 Likes

There are good news about the guest-advanced version. The official Libretro slang repository was recently updated to the latest, so the users can update it through the Retroarch online updater and are set to go.

Just to mention it to the users which could struggle a bit with manual updating.

4 Likes

That’s excellent especially when for when I’m ready to release a full pack. Users will be able to just dive right in. I’ll probably still tag the release that I’m using though in case you release a update in the future.

1 Like

Damn man that looks c r i s p :fire:

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it. I tried my best to squeeze out as much sharpness as I could for composite without breaking blended dithering or breaking details in pixels. Plus thanks to @Hari-82 feedback on the last sample pack I adjusted brightness a bit. Hari I hope this is better for you lol.

Standard composite:

Megadrive rainbows enabled: (meant to include these in the pack but was getting late and I was tired)

Maybe this is the look I should go for on the full release? Let’s see what you guys think.

4 Likes

Sonkun, idk why but the brightness looks off when I use your sample presets. Am I doing something wrong? Because what you have shown looks way better than what I see in real time.

2 Likes

Post up a screenshot let’s see how it looks. Two things I should mention and will update in my main post once I release a new full pack is my display mode is RGB 8-bit Rec. 709, my system doesn’t display standard srgb and that my dynamic range is set to “full” "or “Full rgb” as I’ve seen around on pcs. If your set up is like that it should help in seeing the image how I see it, it’s pretty much how I also put together my presets as well.

On my TV I have the color temp set to normal and “dynamic contrast” set to off. There’s not too many settings on my TV since it’s a standard 4k TV. The most important thing is definitely having having full rgb set to on, without it or with it set to “limited” everything will look washed out with the brightness looking weird as well.

2 Likes

Try to update your slang shaders in Retroarch. I accidentally tried it with the old repo version and brightness was way off.

4 Likes

I will try that, Guest. Thank you.

Update: It works perfectly.

4 Likes

Please tell me how to do it correctly so that guest.r shaders work with crt-guest-advanced.

I downloaded this pack:

I read here that these two shaders are interconnected and you need to install them correctly. Are there instructions? https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroArch/comments/184ptd5/new_sonkun_guest_advanced_presets_shaders_pack/?share_id=oLgMy2amtv2rtnppSj7Vo&utm_content=1&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_source=share&utm_term=14

1 Like

Yes my presets directly use both the guest hd and ntsc shaders. You can find easy 3 step instructions on how to install them right in my first post in this thread at the top. If you have any trouble just let me know.

Just to let you know that pack, even though it’s the only current pack available at the moment is outdated, I haven’t replaced it yet because I’m working on a new look. You can try out a sample pack of what I’m working on at the moment by scrolling a few posts above. For that sample pack you can simply just update your slang shaders within RetroArch and then follow the instructions in that post.

I’m also about to release another sample pack maybe tonight so be on the look out for that as well. I’m currently in my experimental phase.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I saw this new pack:

I’ll try to find instructions. By the way, are your presets suitable for Snes games or only for Mega Drive?

2 Likes

Yeah that’s the post. And these are the instructions:

The composite presets are for pretty much all the mainline systems from Atari all the way up to Dreamcast/PS2. The “Megadrive Rainbow” preset is specifically for that system though for that special composite “rainbow” effect.

Also meant to say the pack on my main page specifically uses a older guest.r shader pack as well as that’s what was available at that time, I’m not sure if his current shader pack through the RetroArch updater will have any different effects on my main release pack.

3 Likes

I didn’t have a guest folder in the “shaders” folder, I just moved it from the downloaded archive.

1 Like

Ah ok. If you’re just using my latest samples from a few posts above then yeah all you need is to move my presets into the shaders folder, update your shaders through RetroArch then they should load up just fine for you.

1 Like