New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

Now that my latest pack is out I decided to do the one thing that I love, and that’s go back in the lab once more lol. Previously I was messing around with the upscaling shaders that guest.r made possible in his recent updates, I still would like to “smooth” the pixels out on my presets without having to rely on any upscaler shader and I think I found an alternative while keeping the original look of the pixels right in the guest shader itself with an unexpected setting I haven’t tweaked in a while:

Both the horizontal and vertical glow sigma when raised has both the benefits of adding a bit more glow and smoothing pixels at the same time. My presets currently have both settings at .30

Here’s my current preset:

Here’s with both glow sigmas turned up to .40:

Current preset:

Both glow sigmas at .35:

At .40:

I think I like it at .35 the most but .40 looks good on the older systems, anything above .40 looks too blurry to me. I’m not even sure what I’m going to do with this information myself, just something I discovered and wanted to share.

4 Likes

:wave: @sonkun! Nice shaders you have here — I wanted to try them out on my Odin 2 Android handheld, but I’m having trouble loading them (the message failed to apply shader preset kept popping up)

I’ve attached the log from Retroarch here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10qSDbrGjrPQYGmAMPGDejMvHS0G7hPND/view?usp=drive_link

[Vulkan]: Failed to load LUT "/storage/DE74-B556/retroarch/shaders/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/lut/trinitron-lut.png".
[Vulkan]: Failed to create preset: "/storage/DE74-B556/retroarch/shaders/sonkun/aperture-grille/flat/1080p/01-1080p-crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-aperture-grille-u-normal-rf.slangp".
[Vulkan]: Failed to create filter chain: "/storage/DE74-B556/retroarch/shaders/sonkun/aperture-grille/flat/1080p/01-1080p-crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-aperture-grille-u-normal-rf.slangp". Falling back to stock.

Using Vulkan and FCEUmm core for NES.

Appreciate the help! :pray:

1 Like

:man_facepalming: I got it working! I had to move the sonkun directory into the shaders_slang directory for it to work. /ignore me — now gonna experiment with them! :tada:

1 Like

Nice, glad you got it working. I wonder how they look from your end, these presets were put together on a 65 inch TV plus I make them bright as hell. I hope they don’t blind you on such a small screen lol.

how in the world did you got it working to move them in the shaders_slang directory? cant’t access the directory because it’s protected from android… tried a lot of things to get access to that directory.

could you explain how you did it? would be very much appreciated

1 Like

I made a post a few months ago that should answer your question to the T dealing with the root folder and shaders on Android.

I did what @sonkun linked above. I’ve placed all my shaders, saves and states into my SD card, update the shaders directory to refer to the custom shaders directory, redownload Retroarch shaders and then load the custom shaders there.

1 Like

I just posted that link in my first post for all Android users going forward as well.

1 Like

So far, it’s not too bright! It looks good from my end :slight_smile: :tada:

I’m using the curved 06-4k-crt-guest-advanced-hd-aperture-grille-u-normal-s-video.slangp shader on both my NES and SNES games:

Does this look good for you as well, @sonkun ? Also, any other tweaks that you can recommend for these two consoles? These are the only TV consoles on my Retroarch (PS1, GC and N64 are standalone emulators). :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m unfamiliar with the Odin 2 but from a quick Google search it says that the display resolution on those are 1920×1080. Try loading up a 1080p preset instead of 4k and post another pic up, the phosphors look too big in those shots.

Also for the FCEUmm core, switch the Color Pallette setting to “FBX’s NTSC Hardware” in the core options, I designed my ntsc presets with that palette.

1 Like

Thanks! It is a 1080p resolution display (sorry, forgot to mention earlier :stuck_out_tongue:)

Try loading up a 1080p preset instead of 4k and post another pic up, the phosphors look too big in those shots.

Here are the screenshots after the suggested changes:

Also for the FCEUmm core, switch the Color Pallette setting to “FBX’s NTSC Hardware” in the core options, I designed my ntsc presets with that palette.

I’ve made the update and here’s the screenshot for it (doesn’t look much different though):

2 Likes

I see the difference right away. The phosphors are blown up and look way too large loading a 4k preset on a 1080p display. With those updated shots they now look the way I intended them to look.

On another note not bad at all, I love seeing how my presets look on different types of screens on various types of systems, the Odin 2 seems to be able to handle the 1080p presets perfectly, I wish the Steam Deck’s display was just like that. I say you’re good to go right there my man.

1 Like

I see the difference right away. The phosphors are blown up and look way too large loading a 4k preset on a 1080p display. With those updated shots they now look the way I intended them to look.

Awesome! I’ll continue using this (and also play around with other shaders in the pack based on certain games).

Thanks for coming up with this! You’ve got another fan! :tada:

1 Like

I appreciate it and I hope you have fun with all your favorite games using it!

Thank You Guys. I wasn’t aware of that Link. You are awesome! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Remember when you mentioned that there is no real S-Video Sega Genesis / Mega Drive, I was reminded of the Wonder Mega which has S-Video.

The problem is that I have never seen Sonic myself on this Wonder Mega and it is not up on YouTube very often.

I cannot determine if the waterfall is blended by the afterimage caused by the LCD, or if the waterfall is also blended by the S-Video.

Hmmm…
This video seems to be connected by composite…Wish could find a Wonder Mega + S-Video + SONIC waterfall video…

In the case of this video, only white and red cables are visible, so I assume the video is connected via S-Video.

1 Like

Though it is not an image through a Wonder Mega, I don’t think there’s a huge difference. Check out the video in the 6:11 mark. In general I think S-Video doesn’t blend the graphics as RF or Composite.

3 Likes

Never knew this console existed, man Japan always has the coolest stuff. As for the footage it’s hard to make out, I can see the rainbow effects in the waterfalls but they also doesn’t seem to look fully blended either. Either way I’m glad to know about the existence of this obscure console.

1 Like

Since the Victor brand is supposed to be well-known abroad, I am surprised that this Wonder Mega was not available abroad.

There are three variations. These three have S-Video.

Sega Wonder Mega
Victor Wonder Mega
Victor Wonder Mega M2

Victor Wonder Mega/Wonder Mega M2 both feature were never sold in game or toy stores. They were sold in stores specializing in consumer electronics, televisions, or music, along with Victor’s game software. Its successor became the V-Saturn.

Victor overseas would be X’eye. However, I have heard that these do not have S-Video.

ps
By the way, Hi-Saturn was a Sega Saturn where the RGB terminal exists.
Hi-Saturn=Hitachi Ver Sega Saturn.

2 Likes

Amazing. Never knew about that version of Saturn as well and that’s my favorite system of all time followed by Dreamcast.

1 Like