New sonkun crt guest advanced presets thread

Oh yeah I see that difference even on interlaced content. That was my aim right there, to still keep the image bright and vivid but lower the effects of the contrast a bit. It was a bit too much but now I think the image looks more “balanced” color wise.

I just did a little razzle dazzle here and there lol. Thank you man I appreciate it. Thing is even though I just posted this update up my job still might not be over. Both guest and dogway just upgraded their shaders and I pretty much use both of them so I’ll be playing around with them when I get some time later. In the meantime I’ll let this current preset update pack make its rounds a bit.

4 Likes

Great work here matey :beers::beers::beers:

2 Likes

Thank you I appreciate it. This should hold over for a bit.

2 Likes

Man each day I get more enthusiastic for crt and your presets, maybe one day of these I’ll begin a research of crt and it’s history to make a video of both crt and your presets, but it will be in Spanish to bring it up for the crt Spanish fans, and also It Will be my first video

2 Likes

That would be awesome if you did that and if you do please share a link here. The more people it reaches the better so everyone can enjoy.

By the way everyone I tested out guest.r’s latest shader update and using it didn’t change anything with my presets even with the new sharpness setting, at least from what I can see. So I updated my above post to link to the latest guest shader update.

2 Likes

Is it really recommendable to update?

I’m near to end a 1 hour video about history of crt and which are good and where to find them It,'s quite interesting how sony became unbeatable for 30 years and how shadow mask struggle for a very long time, also pvms bvms and pro monitors are so much different that they seem like completely different technology

2 Likes

You don’t have to if you’re still on the previous guest update, I only recommend it if you just want to be “up to date”.

Yeah there’s so many different types of displays that you could make a long detailed video about it. I’ve never personally played retro games on any pvm/bvm in the 90’s nor did I know anyone that did back then either. To tell the truth I don’t care much for the pvm/bvm look so I didn’t miss out on anything imo.

2 Likes

I have a question, can I assume that the D terminal is equivalent to RGB? Also, is the PS1/PS2 AV multi-cable also RGB?

Regarding the D terminal, if it is outside Japan, it is a component cable. If this is recognized as equivalent to RGB, the D terminal should also be RGB …?

2 Likes

I think they’re similar but not 100 percent sure since I’m not too versed on that connection cable. I think d terminal was mainly used on HD electronics.

As for the second question I believe the AV cable ps1/ps2 were composite cable connections.

When I purchased a ps1 in the 90’s it came with this cable:

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply.

My recommended case use with these shaders is rf/composite for all systems from the 4th generation consoles and below (nes, snes, genesis, atari, turbografx etc.), s-video for 5th and 6th generation consoles (ps1, saturn, n64, dreamcast, ps2, gamecube) and rgb for arcade.

Your recommended combination is roughly correct, but there was a niche combination in Japan. For example, the FC (NES) Sharp TV has an RGB connection.

Or SFC (SNES) had the existence of RGB cables only in Japan.

Was this multi AV cable deployed outside of Japan?

And the shaders for your hard different are great. Thanks again.

However, personally, I think it’s a pity that the niche part that existed only in Japan is not distributed overseas and is not recognized much.

3 Likes

Germany (EU) had AV cables too, but with SCART connection and ability to connect in RGB I believe. SNES had this too, but SNES wasn’t true RGB I believe (there are many contrary informations and most people don’t know it either), but PSX might be true RGB output. At least for the SCART connection we had.

3 Likes

yes.
I remember that the Nintendo RGB cable was actually an image like the S terminal. In the past, something like RGB fraud spread in Japan… :joy:

It’s a little cleaner than the S terminal, but I’ve heard it’s worse than when the console is directly modified.

3 Likes

I didn’t even know such a tv existed that’s amazing that Famicom had a TV specially made for it.

You’re welcome I try to keep improving them as I go along. They’ve come a long way from when I first started doing this.

Yeah it is a pity would’ve been nice to see some of those of Japan exclusives distributed worldwide, Japan always has the best stuff.

2 Likes

I remember having my snes connected to the RGB scart socket on the back of my 14” trinitron as a kid. Can’t vouch for the actual snes outputting true RGB as I was only a kid but from what I remember the picture quality was very good in that setup :+1:

2 Likes

Edit: I just realized you were talking about the Famicom/NES. But this link should be interesting nonetheless I guess.

Have a look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Famicom_Naizou_TV_SF1

4 Likes

That’s amazing wow. I’ll check that out.

3 Likes

off topic.

In the case of SFC and RGB, the image quality of the early model (non-1CHIP) is poor, and the image quality of the latter model (1CHIP) is reasonably good as RGB.

I don’t know if SNES has a 1CHIP version.

1 Like

Perhaps the Japanese Wikipedia has more information, so I think it’s better to look at the Japanese Wikipedia while translating it into English.

This design, the same CRT as the Sharp X1.

5 Likes

I’m in the UK and I think the snes had been out a few years before I got one. So there’s a good chance it could have been an improved/later model.

2 Likes

The RGB cable for the SNES never came out of Japan. The first RGB cable marketed outside of Japan was the GameCube one.

Most people get confused because they had their SNES plugged in the SCART connection of the TV, the same the RGB cable use, but SCART is not RGB. Simply, they had their composite cables inserted in the SCART adapter, and everything in the TV. So we’re talking about cables and connections, two different things.

Also, the first versions of the SNES came with the RF cable (mine has it, for example), the one you had to connect to the antenna out.

3 Likes