Official release thread for WindowCast core

Also, I’ve been using WindowsCast a little less often now that more and more games are slowly getting to run on LRPS2.

Is LRPS2 still being updated from time to time to improve compatibility and accuracy? It would be great if RA could complete everything.

2 Likes

Was there an update on LRPS2? AFAIK, there are a few different sources where you can get a PS2 core, the one in the buildbot being the worst and the best one is bugged and doesn’t work on Windows.

I don’t know either.
However, there are a few game titles that I used to have to rely on WindowsCast+PCSX2 to play, and now I can play them on LRPS2. The number of them is quite small, though.

1 Like

there is an pre compiled version of the pcsx2 core that runs really great and suports vulkan …downside …it has no options atm

also i always run apps/games in window mode with windowcast so i can´t help you with that for me that works best and so far nothing wouldn´t work this way

and some standalone emulators like pcsx2 and yuzu change their game title if running a game

maybe this must be added to the partials file that the wrapper creates should be inside win32 folder it creates inside the game folder

i didn´t try standalone emus with this method tbh

3 Likes

I’ve been using ShaderGlass for a while, it’s been great on PCSX2, at least till the RA core gets updated.

GitHub - mausimus/ShaderGlass: Overlay for running GPU shaders on top of Windows desktop

as i say the precompiled version runs great give it a try vice city as example runs flawless wit mbz shader on vulkan

but a few games that normally need some patches from pcsx2 like path of neo still have visual bugs cuz you can´t turn on fixes

that is the most up to date core you can get so far i know , keep in mind that retroarch maybe overwrite this core if you use the update all cores option

3 Likes

I’m using the original software only version and the windowcast core is working but everytime I try to load a shader preset retroarch freezes. any fix?

update if i load the preset MBZ__3__STD__PASSTHROUGH it works but whenever I load and ADV preset or cyberlab variation retroarch will still freeze

What graphics card are you using? How much VRAM does it have? Have you tried the potato presets or other MBZ__3__STD presets?

rtx 2080 super 8gb of vram, 5800x AMD cpu 32gb of ram. It’s not my system

@Cyber ok I did some further digging and found out what works and what doesn’t with windowcast for both your presets, Duimon, and HSM. MBZ_1- 5 work. MBZ_0 SMOOTH doesn’t work. That is for HSM

Now for your presets. Any preset you base off of MBZ_0 SMOOTH won’t work. Your presets in the MBZ_1-5 section will work. What won’t work in any section though is your NeoGX presets.

Most Duimon presets seem to work though I haven’t checked handhelds. The Duimon presets aren’t based off MBZ_0 SMOOTH which is why they work. I’m not sure if it’s my system or not so I won’t assume. I just figured I have a good system so it can’t be me.

If i’m just using retroarch and the built in PCSX2 based core any preset will work including MBZ_0 SMOOTH, NeoGX etc. the resolution I use for the emulator core is standared res 1x.

If I use retroarch with windowcast core + PCSX2 standalone standard res 1x I can’t use MBZ_0 SMOOTH presets or NeoGX.
Hope this helps.

1 Like

This helps a great deal. It’s very possible that your GPU is running out of resources (specifically VRAM) when running the shaders that perform upscaling in conjunction with the WindowCast core.

Perhaps @HyperspaceMadness or @IHQMD might be able to elaborate.

Try changing your desktop resolution to 1080p and see if that makes any difference.

@Cyber found something else too. If I load a preset that’s standard I go into sharder parameters and tick show resolustion info the windowcast core is reporting a res of 3840x2160 and sampling res is 61456x2160 but the PCSX2 standalone is standard res for PS2. I think if the window cast core will report the same res as the standalone emulator it might fix it

1 Like

I did a test of lowring my screen resolution to 640x480 and that didn’t work. MBZ_0, CyberLab NeoGX or anything based on MBZ_0 won’t load. I’m wondering if there is a specific shader that doesn’t play well with windowcast

1 Like

I have a feeling that someone with a better understanding of how these things work might be able to offer an explanation. So perhaps if we wait a bit, @HyperspaceMadness or @IHQMD might respond. I wouldn’t be surprised if they found this information useful.

1 Like

I did another test with window cast. I loaded the MBZ_1_ADV preset from HSM and ticked the parameter to show resolution. The sampling res of 61456x2160 wasn’t there but when I load your preset MBZ_1 / 4k / computer monitor smooth the sampling res of 61456x2160 shows in res info.

HSM’s MBZ_0 still doesn’t load.

I also made a copy of the preset I was using inside retroarch for the pcsx2 core and I turned off a bunch of things in shader parameters. I turned off deconvergence, fxaa, scalefx, and sharpsmoother. just to see if it would load with those off for windowcast but no dice. It’s a pickle

1 Like

Have you tried the different versions of the WindowCast Core? For example the experimental v2.0 or the Vulkan blitz version?

You can also try setting the Vulkan/OpenGL present method to Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain or Prefer native if it’s already set to Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain?

2 Likes

ahha. I loaded MBZ_0 but just inside retroarch with the pcsx2 core and clicked show res info. the core reads 512x416 but there is still a sampling res 3072x416. MBZ_1 does not show a sampling res, but if I load cyberlab mbz_1 / 4k / computer monitor smooth that sampling res is shown at 61456x2160.

I tried the vulkan blitz version. When I downloaded experimental 2.0 version the core file name structure isn’t a .dll / it’s a .so file and retroarch doesn’t see it

1 Like

I have nvidia control panel set to prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain yup. I followed those instructions

1 Like

In the old days MBZ__1__ADV did some upsampling in the Shader pipeline to allow for the use of things like ScaleFX. Subsequently this was taken out of the MBZ__1__ADV performance tier and limited to the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV performance tier.

It’s possible that the Computer Monitor Smooth Preset is referencing the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV base preset.

One giveaway is that it has Smooth in the filename. There are other presets with Smooth in the filename which don’t use the MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV_GDV base preset and don’t use ScaleFX for upscaling. Those use Super-XBR instead which is supposed to be in the MBZ__1__ADV__GDV performance tier.

1 Like