Official release thread for WindowCast core

it works with lauchbox so i guess its a matter of config for these ^^

2 Likes

Thx @p3st Is it possible to share how you config to work with launchbox please ? I don’t get how to have both PC emul and RA running in background at the same time to apply shaders Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

I mean if I use an emul via a frontend ; sorry if wasn’t clear and for my bad english

1 Like

that what works for me is to use the txt file for WindowCast like a game and run the game itself as an extra app that starts before the ROM/WindowsCast in this case

so my ROM path look like this

F:\Roms\WindowCast\partials-example.txt

this launches via retroarch

and as extra applikation

E:\Games\GAME\GAME.exe

and set it to start before the game :sweat_smile:

this works for me

6 Likes

Thank you so much for your help ! will try with Hyperspin and keep you posted here (I really have to manage to take some days off :nerd_face:)

2 Likes

Sorry to bother again ; I think I really don’t have you’re knowledge @p3st

Is it possible to explain how to set RA to start before the game please ?

Do you think is it possible to use the same setting to use this with a modern emulator like Yuzu for example or Xenia ?

Thank you in advance for your help !!

so this is how it works with other emulators or games for me in Lauchbox

1. be sure your game/emulator is running in a window and chose a not to crazy resolution ^^

2. go to emulator , edit retroarch like this for every emulator/plattform you want

3. now this take a game you want to start and edit the metadata

A. go under launching and change the path to the partials-example.txt

B. than under additional apps you have to add your emu/game and it should look like this

C. at last check if under emulation it looks like this

4. When you now start the game it should laucht the game first , don´t mess with anything like the window or alt+tab just wait till retroarch also runs (and loaded the shader if you use one)

DONE

it works with every emulator/ regular pc game i thrown on it as long it has an window mode

notes for some emus like yuzu (starts the game in another window)

enter the right window name in your partials-example.txt you will have to run the game first to see the name

if you just name it like the emu itself it will show you the main window and not the game.

only downside it that it don´t lauch at the same time , you have to wait till retoarch loads and maybe miss a bit of the game intro videos

hope this helps you and other folks :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Thank you so much for this deep process @p3st !!!

I will try to reproduce the same using Hyperspin and maybe Retrobat (I’m not experienced as much with this one)

1 Like

Do you happen to have experience with Shaderglass for comparison in terms of lag?

Heya @IHQMD the download link is no more! I’m literally craving for next release, I hope you’ll share some news :innocent:

In the meanwhile here’s some modern NOITA with Mega Bezel charm

5 Likes

Hi All,

Sorry about the broken link. New links have been posted in the first post.

7 Likes

I’ve been messing around with the windowcast off and on. I can get it to work sometimes if I launch manually with the partial.txt through RA if the target window is running first (although it seems to freeze up completely at times if I load a shader). If I follow the instructions to run through launchbox, the target window will run (I tried TeknoParrot and some other apps) but RA always freezes up on the taskbar. Not sure if any of this info is helpful to development, but that it what I have run into so far.

strange for me it works like i said …hmmm did retroarch or something takes the focus away ? so you maybe have to mess with some options there …the game must be the active/on top window till retroarch starts with the core loaded , otherwise it does exactly what you said when it has not “Target” it stays there ^^

1 Like

Hmm… I wonder if Launchbox itself is interfering with it. I’m pretty sure that the target window is opening on top of it, but I’ll have to check now.

maybe the reason is the start screen from lauchbox i have it enabled and set to max time and hind mouse cursor

1 Like

Just tried it with SSF, I can only get a frozen screen and hear the sounds in the background, the bottom bar is visible and the LED blinks, it’s the only part that seems to be displayed properly.

Below is SSF with reshade, which works fine, but I’ll try SSF in Retroarch in the future, there’s also a bunch of Win9x era games I think will benefit a lot from this core.

1 Like

That’s a good thought, but I have never used the start screen.

1 Like

that why i thought maybe that is the reason it works for me ^^ you could give it a try i thought :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh haha… right then! I will check into that post-haste. :shushing_face:

I set up the start screen with max time so that it would have longer to start before RA launched. It did get the yellow border on the target window, but RA still just freezes up. It was a good idea though… worth a try.

hmmm …than i have mo clue cuz a friend of mine also get it to work the way i wrote yesterday :thinking: