Official release thread for WindowCast core

Hello. I’m running into some clipping when using HDR with the WindowCast core. Can anyone replicate this problem?

raw PCSX2, Silent Hill 2 map screen:

gsdx_20240306150514

Problem: in Retroarch when using WindowCast, all the greys/whites are clipped. Adjusting settings via the HDR menu in Retroarch doesn’t fix it

1 Like

try turning off hdr. that might fix it

wanted to report that scalefx or superxbr won’t work with windowcast core

Unfortunately, the clipping remains even when disabling HDR in Retroarch

check the core settings to make sure it’s not cropping the image

this is the specific preset I’m trying to get to work with window cast. unfortunatly no luck. If anyone can that would be great.

#reference "Mega_Bezel_Packs/CyberLab/MBZ__0__Smooth-Advance_Full_Reflections/CyberLab_Neo-GX_4K_Presets/CyberLab_PSX_Composite_CyberTron_Neo-GX.slangp"
post_br = "2.999998"
HSM_GLOBAL_GRAPHICS_BRIGHTNESS = "100.000000"
HSM_STATIC_LAYERS_GAMMA = "1.000000"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MODE = "0.000000"
HSM_INT_SCALE_MULTIPLE_OFFSET = "0.000000"
HSM_BZL_USE_INDEPENDENT_SCALE = "0.000000"
HSM_BZL_INDEPENDENT_SCALE = "82.970001"
HSM_BZL_WIDTH = "70.000000"
HSM_BZL_HEIGHT = "70.000000"
HSM_FXAA_ON = "1.000000"
SUPERXBR_ON = "1.000000"
HSM_INTRO_WHEN_TO_SHOW = "0.000000"
g_space_out = "0.000000"
ntsc_sat = "1.200000"
mask_layout = "0.000000"
1 Like

On most traditional cores, using a ADV Smooth preset and a 4x internal resolution will cause retroarch to crash.

That would be roughly 1080p, so if your game screen resolution is native then it will crash.

If you can’t force the game resolution to be lower then just don’t use a smooth preset.

1 Like

I’m running duckstation in native 1x resolution and window cast resolution is also scaled down. It’s not the resolution. Also hi Dumion. I love your system bezel backgrounds

1 Like

I beg to differ. I tried it and duckstation may be set to the native resolution but that’s not the actual resolution of the output.

If you absolutely must use this preset, you can follow my Params_02_Community_Derived_Params.md guide to simplify the preset.

After that I would up the resolution in duckstation to 5x, use “Stretch to Fill” as the aspect, run it in full screen, change the reference in the shader to the \shaders_slang\bezel\Mega_Bezel\Presets\Base_CRT_Presets_DREZ\MBZ__0__SMOOTH-ADV__GDV__DREZ-480p.slangp, and add these two lines to the end of your preset.

HSM_ASPECT_RATIO_MODE = "2.000000"
HSM_CORE_RES_SAMPLING_MULT_OPPOSITE_DIR = "50.000000"

You will also have to change the reference in your preset to the simplified version you created.

That will give you this.

Seems like a lot of work to me, but it will get the job done. :innocent:

3 Likes

you are legend. we are not worth

Hmmm…

Hmmm…why not the SwanStation core?

This runs using WindowCast so that means other PSX presets in the Console Specific Folder, especially the ones in the MBZ__3__STANDARD folder should run as well since they all reference Mega Bezel Base presets in the same performance tier and none of them perform any internal upsampling.

@SpoonyOrbit did you know that “CyberTron” is simply me having fun with the nomenclature behind the Sony Trinitron branded Aperture Grille technology?

I’m sure there are many other Aperture Grille Presets that you can use which can give you a similar effect.

Have you looked at all the PSX presets in the MBZ__3__STANDARD_Full_Reflections/4K_Optimized_Presets/Console_Specific_Presets folder?

CyberLab_PSX_S-Video_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

CyberLab_PSX_Composite_Slot_Mask_IV_OLED_NTSC.slangp

CyberLab__PSX__ADV - DREZ.slangp

CyberLab__PSX__ADV.slangp

CyberLab__PSX_Composite__ADV - DREZ.slangp

CyberLab__PSX_Composite__ADV.slangp

The ones that don’t have Slot Mask in their filename are all Aperture Grille…err “CyberTron” presets.

You can even manually enter some parameters from my PSX Neo-GX presets if you wish to get things looking closer to those.

Or he could probably just try or at least start with my

CyberLab__PSX__ADV-DREZ.slangp or CyberLab__PSX_Composite__ADV-DREZ.slangp

located in the MBZ__0__Smooth-Advanced_Full_Reflections/4K_Optimized_Presets/Console_Specific_Presets folder.

1 Like

That does not solve the problem. There is still a LOT of clipping.

@IHQMD

Windowcast is causing a lot of clipping when using HDR

EDIT: ok this is not specific to Windowcast, it’s just the tonemapping in RA that’s broken

edit edit:

No, there IS something weird that’s specific WindowCast

1 Like

I was able to fix the clipping in 240p Test Suite grey bars (not using WindowCast) with these settings:

Max Luminance: 1000 Paper white: 350 contrast: 5.6x

However, the clipping remains when using WindowCast.

EDIT:

I solved this.

I needed to disable Auto HDR in Windows for PCSX2.

In Windows, go to system -> display -> graphics and disable HDR for PCSX2.

1 Like

Excellent! You were probably doing double tonemapping!

1 Like

now that i figured out shaders i’m trying to figure out how to incorporate wincast into launchbox. I’ve read everything posted about doing it manually and the wrapper but honestly i’m just lost. I can’t wrap my head around it.
In the case of standalone emulators like duckstation or pcsx2 I think launch box should keep the default emulator for that platform to the actual emulator. Meaning the default emulator for ps1 in launchbox should be duckstation itself and not wincast.exe I’m just having a hard time figuring out how to add the windowcast core as and additional program that launches right after the standalone emulator. It would be nice if I could just press ESC key to close both programs which the wincast wrapper says it does but I just can’t figure it out

i never got the wrapper to work right as additional app ,

i would suggest to create a shortcut to use for launchbox with the arguments i listed above

you don´t have to worry about the emulator this way …

also if you set a hotkey for exit/close in retroarch it should work that the wrapper also closes the game

as additional app you can also use autohotkey and a script to do the ctrl+alt+t combo at start

2 Likes

I would think launchbox would just need the proper AHK script to add to the emulator. For example if I add this running script

Run, “(path to retroarch.exe)”

retroarch will start automatically. then you just need the right script so it loads the partials.txt file

I’m not sure what argumaents are needed for launchbox. i don’t know which arguments you are referring too. I don’t want to configure wincast for launchbox per game. it should be per platform

the arguments go into the target field if you edit the shortcut … watch the video if you aren´t sure ^^

2 Likes

I watched the video but I don’t know how to apply it for standalone emulators with many different rom files. The game files for emulators aren’t .exe
They are .bin/cue files and iso’s