Official release thread for WindowCast core

Right… I don’t keep it minimized, but it goes to the background when you bring up RA. Not sure why this would affect it, but just trying to think of things common to the people that aren’t having problems. Yes… I also only run one monitor these days.

1 Like

There are some instances where I did that with Google Chrome but it crashed Retroarch, so I definitely wouldn’t recommend it.

I suggest that if you have multiple monitors to place the captured window on one and Retroarch on the other. Just turn off the one being captured.

I thought to post my partials.txt file:

# Dolphin GameCube/Wii Emulator
Dolphin
# PCSX2 PS2 Emulator
// Game Title
# xemu Xbox Emulator
xemu
# yuzu Switch Emulator
yuzu
# xenia Xbox 360 Emulator
xenia
# fpPS4 PS4 Emulator
fpPS4
# vita3K PS Vita Emulator
vita3K
# cemu Wii U Emulator
cemu
# rpcs3 PS3 Emulator
Vulkan
3 Likes

Guys, I Got it! :star_struck:

But I had to go against the recommendations. I went back to the default setting in the Nvidia control panel. According to the README the recommendation is: “Open the Nvidia Control Panel. In the “Manage 3D Settings” tab, change the option “Vulkan/OpenGL present method” to “Prefer layered on DXGI Swapchain”.”

In my case, it was making me unable to get the window controls right. Now the gamepad is working!!

CTRL + ALT+T Toggle allows to configure Retroarch without input commands to the game in the background. :wink:

5 Likes

I can’t wait to try this!! I hardly play games tbh but this is gonna force me to download some!! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

1 Like

I find it crazy, that I haven’t updated my Graphics since April of 2022, currently doing, and everything works fine. The recommended setting didn’t exist until later.

3 Likes

None of us actually play the games. lol :grin:

3 Likes

i try at least to play the games …but atm always something new to test comes out :rofl:

2 Likes

I have played the first levels of Super Mario World, Syphon Filter and Castlevania a lot. Along with saving Zelda from the dungeon in A Link to the Past.

3 Likes

Haha… I actually do play quite a bit, but sometimes it feels like I only photoshop and make windows directories. :smile:

4 Likes

I’m only running one display and I got it to work with Sonic Mania. Have you tried different games/apps and also some of the suggestions for example allowing content to remain active when RetroArch is in the background?

Did you make sure you lowered the resolution on the games you tried as well as had them running in Windowed mode?

Do you have any other capture apps running or other apps which might use the same hotkeys?

2 Likes

I feel ya :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

So far I’ve tried the PCSX2 and Mini vMac cores. I think I’ve tried most everything in this thread. I have the base resolutions through the emulators set to 640, I believe… but was just thinking that the global resolution output in RA is probably set to my desktop resolution.

1 Like

If I Alt+Tab to the DOSBox-ECE window and click to capture the mouse. Then Ctrl+Alt+T, the mouse works as input.

TBH my main goal was to see if this could work with ExoDOS collection, and it appears that it can.

I am looking forward to where this goes from here.

2 Likes

Maybe you can try some emulators/apps that others were able to run successfully before continuing to try with those 2?

While I was able to get Sonic Mania up and running pretty easily, it wasn’t so simple getting MPC-HC/LAV + MadVR to work quite correctly (with my Mega Bezel Reflection Shader preset) especially when it comes to things like scaling, screen size and aspect ratio as well as performance.

Even when I tried using Media Player, things didn’t fare much better. So let’s see who gets media playback working flawlessly first.

things i can confirm working fine

Cemu, AM2R, Chrono Trigger (steam version), Sonic Mania, Zelda 2 fan remake , Angry Video Game Nerd I & II Deluxe, yuzu, Bloodstained Curse of the Moon , Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2, GZDoom, deadcells, DoomRPG, POLYBIUS and Chrome/Youtube ^^ so far nothing didn´t work CRTception (retroarch itself)

4 Likes

The main downside is the added lag.

I recorded both game window and RA side by side with an high speed camera,
I get +1 frame of lag at 60hz (16.7ms). That is if the game is 60hz and I force RA to 60 too.

If I let my monitor and RA at 120hz I get +1.5 frame (25ms) and I notice more stuttering.

Also as it is windowed it’s probably adding some lag vs fullscreen, and even more as gsync isn’t active. Maybe 2 frames in the end (33ms)?

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured at least some latency would occur due to the way to core is pushing frames to libretro. Currently it’s software blit, so it’s pulling frame data back from the GPU to upload it the libretro’s software buffers, where it’s then going to uploaded back to GPU by RA’s presentation pipeline.

A better implementation would never have the data leave the GPU (captured frames from WGC start as GPU textures, after all), but Vulkan APIs scare me and it’ll be a while before I properly code that alternate implementation, which should hopefully be lower latency.

13 Likes

Works after i switch RA to use Vulkan but then i have to find out how to make controls work (didn’t use any other program). Cool stuff.

Souldiers

6 Likes
4 Likes

Could just be my setup but running RA in full-screen makes everything come to a crawl. So I’m forced to run RA in a Window.