Opinions on bluetooth vs RF

So, as I discovered, my $20 bluetooth game controller will not work with my new Pi3 and Lakka. I now have to choose a Playstation or XBOX controller. I understand the PS3/4 controllers are bluetooth, but the XBOX controllers use RF (I have a friend with a Pi3 running Lakka and he uses his XBOX controller with an RF dongle on the Pi and it works well).

I’ve seen a couple posts concerning lag with bluetooth based controllers, so was wondering if anyone had any input concerning that? Would it be better to get the XBOX controller and RF dongle, or do the PS3/4 controllers work without any noticeable issues, lag on input, etc?

Also, are there any significant differences in the PS3 vs PS4 controllers as far as using them in Lakka is concerned?

Thanks!

I have used a ps4 controller and a ps3 controller. the PS3 is far easier to set up if you intend to go wireless with it. that said the PS4 controller is far more common anymore.

Currently I use a Rockcandy ps3 controller that uses RF (I guess) and it performs many times better than the Ps4 controller (quicker response to button presses it would seem). but I also use a wired PS3 competition controller from Apower that is far more responsive and useful in fast twitch games.

I have used an XBox 360 controller in the past and find them awful for control pad related functions… just putting that out there.

BlueTooth as a technology is more than capable, as evidenced by the PS3 and PS4 controllers working flawlessly with the PS3 and PS4. The problem is with poor BlueTooth drivers or receivers, and from what I can tell (from research and personal experience) the built in BlueTooth on the Pi3 is just abysmal. When trying to research why I got such a huge delay on my Pi3, I found a lot of people that had great luck with separate BlueTooth dongles on the Pi3 instead of its built in one.

Mayflash Wii U PC USB adapter + Wii U Pro Controller = Best Plug-and-Play Wireless Retro Gaming Experience for Lakka, Hands Down. The Pi 3’s Bluetooth is a pain in the ass.