OrangePi PC - 240p timings/resolution via Composite possible?

Is a native 240p timings/resolution possible from the OrangePi PC via the A/V jack?

I’d like to use it hooked up to a nice CRT for emulation.

Typically, the composite output on devboards like this are handled by a closed-source firmware blob that we unfortunately don’t have access to modify. They will generally take whatever output resolution we hand it and then up/downscale it to 480i/576i to comply with NTSC/PAL video standards.

The RPi developers released a special firmware for their composite-output encoder that allows it to present a 480p resolution to the host OS but only light up half of those lines for a sort of faux 240p that works perfectly for our purposes. The OrangePi folks could potentially do something similar, but it wouldn’t be something we could do on our end.

1 Like

Hi @hunterk, thanks for the great detailed response.

I’m not even sure something like that would be on the radar of anyone who works on the kernel for orangepi’s. I’ve inquired over at the armbian forum as well, to see if there’s anyone a bit closer to kernel dev that might have some info. I suppose I could inquire with the manufacturers as well.

I know the 240p support for RPis is also somewhat new, so maybe some inspiration will be drawn from there.