Override shader settings per-platform

Is it possible to save shader settings on a per-platform basis, rather than per-core ?

Why?

1. Some cores support several platforms where shaders should look different (Game Gear / Master System).
  2. Different cores can be used on a given platform.

In these cases, saving a shader configuration for a given platform is more convenient.

Nope, RetroArch doesnā€™t have any concept of platforms/systems, only cores and content. You can use different cores for different systems or modify the coreā€™s internal name to make ā€œsplitā€ cores (really just the same core with a different name and different list of supported file extensions).

1 Like

This should fix that issue when implemented. So long as you organise your roms by system.

@Cutter - ā€œmost people sort content by system this wayā€ Iā€™d have to argue the opposite. Most people Iā€™ve talked to that use RetroArch, at least on Windows, are running a frontend. Personally, Iā€™ve never once used the playlist, database, or favorites features. I was very pleased in a recent update when I was able to remove them from the F1 menu.

Iā€™m not saying either way is ā€˜betterā€™ by any means, just that this is going to be pretty helpful for a lot of users who do things the other way. Plus itā€™s not like this negates the possibility for other solutions down the line.

Although, Iā€™ve got to ask, if your games are not organized by system in your libraryā€¦ how are they organized? I canā€™t think of another way to do it. Iā€™m just curious.

@SkyHighGam3r I was saying that most people do divide their games by system using playlists, as an argument for per-playlist settings overrides. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thereā€™s a core splitter that works like a charm!

See here

If youā€™re on Linux, you can do this quite easily by symlinking the core preset files to a single file. For example, if you create a file nes.slangp and then symlink it as both Nestopia/Nestopia.slangp and Mesen/Mesen.slangp, both Cores will use the same shader settings and store them in nes.slangp.

Note that when you change shader settings and do ā€œsave core presetā€, itā€™s nes.slangp that will get updated. So changes in shader settings in one core will also apply to all the other cores as well.

This is of course not helpful with cores that support multiple systems. But it works well for single-system cores.

1 Like