Pcsx2 trouble games not loading

I’ve posted what logs I have. Retroarch will crash and restart when loading ps2 games. My graphics card is GIGABYTE Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB Graphic Cards GV-RX580GAMING-8GD.

Play! Works with my setup but not pcsx2 btw. I would rather use pcsx2 though

You’re using a card better than mine, let me try to rip the game and see what’s up. Doesn’t make any sense unless it’s a bad rip off the games. But then the play core would crash, too.

Have you tried DX11? There have been numerous reports about AMD cards and opengl not working for many cores.

DX11 is for windows. I’m using Lakka 4.2. My other alternative is Vulcan

Yeah, I guess I missed the Lakka thing in the topic. :innocent:

An update:

1. I was able to get Mega Man X8 to work on my unit, so it’s not Lakka, per se.
  2. I noticed in the requirements that AVX2 instructions set IS required in the PCSX2 core for it to work. But the FX-9590 does NOT support this. The 2200G DOES support it. Some games may require it, others may not. Not sure.
  3. Your log is incomplete. Gouchi (and myself) can’t break down the log to find out what’s wrong. You’ll have to provide the log when you’re trying to load the game and it crashes and it shows what happens when the game does not load. Please provide another log (which is why gouchi keeps asking for logs).

My suggestions: Check the ISO file, and make sure it’s doesn’t have an unexpected “end of file” error message. Because if it does, it will NOT load, and crash, every single time. Other games WILL work if they do NOT have this error.

Bonus tip: An .iso file with an “unexpected end of file” error message will cause a segmentation fault inside of Lakka, which will appear in the log. That is the crash that you more than likely are experiencing when you try to load a game and it kicks you back out to the main Lakka menu.

When I set lakka to make a log file, it cuts it off during the crash and instead of generating an error message a new log starts up. If there is another method of generating a log, I’m all ears.

How do I check if the iso has an unexpected end of file?

If you’re having problems capturing them directly from lakka, you could try to SSH into the machine through a separate PC using TTY or a software program like PuTTY.

I have some questions for you regarding the creation of the .iso files and some others in general:

1. Does the PCSX2 core load other games? Or does it do the same thing with every game?
  2. When you obtained your games and created your .iso files, did you encounter any error messages using your creation utility?
  3. If you obtained these files in compressed (.zip) format, did you see an “unexpected end of file” error message during any of the unzip processes? (this is what I was alluding to with respect to your .iso file crashing.)
  4. I checked your CPU/GPU combo, your CPU is slightly behind mine in single-threaded score/performance, and of course, your GPU is slightly better than mine. So it should be able to pull it off. Which is why I’m thinking it’s a corrupted .iso file that’s causing the crash.
  5. Perform a integrity scan on your .iso file and check for the CRC error check.

These tips should help provide some more info for you. Please perform these actions and let us know how it goes.

I have work and school at the moment so it will take some time to get the information requested but I can answer a few of these questions

1. No PCSX2 on lakka does not load any ps2 games. The same error occurs everytime including with elf homebrew stuff
  2. no errors were encountered when extracting the files or creation. Files will play on pcsx2 on a windows pc just fine. They will even play on original hardware as a backup on a DVD disc
  3. No error message when extracting from .z7

4 and 5. I’ll run a crc check when I can. I prorated won’t be able to get to it until this weekend.

Curious…did you load the BIOS files into Lakka as well with the corresponding MD5 hashes?

Hi Shockwave, can you tell me what CPU and GPU you are using to get PCSX2 on Lakka to successfully run? I have been troubleshooting my setup for a few weeks with no luck. I can command Lakka to Load Core, but once I launch it (Start Core), it crashed my Retroarch. Using Lakka 4.3 currently. My hardware is quite old and that may be the problem. Running on an i7-3770T (no AVX2) and have tried multiple GPUs (AMD and Nvidia).

I tried both the logging feature within Lakka and the createlog feature in the terminal. I’m having trouble creating a log file that displays anything that is going on however I did notice something interesting as I was reading through one that was set with mode 0 debug mode. I noticed that the crash seems to happen as the pcsx2 opt file is being created. I noticed that it tries to load the bios file twice before shutting down. I will post what log files I have in the next few days. If there is any terminal commands other than createlog I can use, I’d be much obliged. I tried the systemctl stop retroarch.service ; retroarch -v in the FAQ document and that freezes my system. Thank you!

There’s a setting in Lakka that you can use to check to see if the BIOS files you have are the correct ones, and judging from what you told me when it generates the PS2.opt file and tries to load it twice and crashes…yeah, not the right ones for the game you’re looking to play. You can change what BIOS files the PCSX2 core loads under options if you load the core by itself, and then go under Core Options and try to find what BIOS file it’s trying to load that causes it to crash.

For the record, I have many BIOS files in my pcxs2/bios file folder and select based on the game I’m playing, and sometimes will create individual options settings for games if I need to. However, I found that the best PCSX2 core settings to use are the following:

Speed Hacks Preset = Balanced GPU Palette Conversion = On Fast Texture Invaladation = On

If you search for “PS2 BIOS pack Retroarch”, you’lll find what I’m using out there, eventually. Hope this helps. Good luck.