Performance difference on Raspberry Pi 4 models?

Any difference between the 1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB models that you guys have noticed or have been able to take advantage of? I just got my 4GB RasPi4B to go with my 2 GB RasPi4B. Been testing the latest nightly with it, and impressed by what I’ve seen so far, especially with 640x480 N64 and Dreamcast. No overclocking yet, and I’ll try once I get a hold of the cmdline.txt file. I have heatsinks and active fans on both Pi 4Bs.

1 Like

I personally wasn’t able to get my hands on a 4GB model yet

I’m in the US so I was able to get mine from Vilros. They were the only ones that had the 4GB in stock about 2 weeks ago.

I have the latest Pi3, should I fork out the extra dough for the Pi4 if I exclusively use Lakka?

Personally, YES, you should. Spring for the 4 GB model of the Pi 4. If not, the 2 GB will also work well. It’s a night-and-day difference. Especially on the N64-Dreamcast-PSP cores (God of War: Chains of Olympus is actually somewhat playable this time around).

I should have mentioned that I actually want to emulate mostly PS and PS2 games as well as a few GBA. I don’t care about N64, GameCube, or PSP/PSV. Should I still fork over that much?

shakes head No. Expecting PS2 emulation on a Pi? laughs

@Shockwave I have the 4GB model of the Raspberry Pi 4 and I see no performance difference when it comes to cartridge games compared to the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.

On the Pi 4 the games DO NOT run smooth on 4K resolution. The menu DONE NOT run smooth. Everything runs at a very low FPS and it is a stuttering mess.

After setting the resolution manually to 1920x1080 then everything started running buttery smooth. Quite honestly it was very hard to tell the difference in image quality for retro games from 4K to 1080p.

I am running Lakka 2.3.1 (RetroArch 1.7.8) on Raspberry Pi 4

There are many reasons I own a Raspberry Pi 4 1. To support the Pi community 2. It’s a super cool tiny computer 3. It’s cheap 4. It’s power efficient 5. It’s quiet 6. It can run thousands of cartridge based games and arcades games I loved as a child but could not afford to play back then.

I honestly don’t care to run CD/DVD-ROM based games other than NEO GEO CD and SEGA CD.

I have a very powerful gaming PC to run the heavy stuff. In the future I plan to build a HTPC to plug to my TV and run 3D retro games.

Should you buy a Raspberry Pi 4? Absolutely! There are tons of fantastic well documented projects that you can do with a Raspberry Pi that will teach you great skills for high paying jobs. Docker, Linux, Apache, Network fundamentals, VPN, Network-Attached Storage, Wordpress. If you can’t afford a full blown computer for a lab or live in a small apartment and don’t have space then get a Pi.

1 Like

Read what he wants to do, and then come back to me when the Pi 4 is emulating PS2 at 5 fps, or crashes outright because it’s coded for the x86 instruction set, not ARM.

Possible? Sure thing, as a hardware engineer, not going to rule it out. After all, Gamecube is now running on the Pi 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4TyYU9Xhcs

We’ll see.

I know that it has been a very long time, but this is just about the only place on the whole Internet where anyone has done any testing on if the decreasing amounts of RAM result in any performance decline… And, I see some people talking about it, but nobody has done any real tests. I have a 4GB model, but, if it isn’t required, I will buy another PI4 and use that for my TV Connected box, and the 4GB model for a spare Linux box.

Has anyone done any further A-B testing? If not, I might go out and buy a cheaper version to just do my own testing. I mean, correct me if I am wrong–but you can swap SD cards since all that has changed is RAM amount.

I mostly use Lakka from a Rpi 4b and I remember the 3 not doing so well when it came to N64 and psp. But to me I have seen a improvement on the RPi 4b 4gb version. I mostly used stable builds but since then has been using nightlies. Well there are few things to iron out in the nightlies because I notice lately some sound issues on n64 and DeSmuNe cores. I personally like the RPi 4B over the RPi 3B.

Is it me or are these forums kinda dead, is the Discord server more active then the Libretro forums? I personally don’t like discord, it gives me a kind of facebook spyware vibe.

I think the emulation progress on Lakka will see improvements over time unlike RetroPie which I use to like but was too slow on progress for me, Especially when it came to RPi 4 support.

Now that you mention I have not heard about emulation being run on those newer Rpi 400 hardware. I can myself using it for MS-Dos games and other keyboard oriented emulators like RPG Maker 2000/2003.

forum+discord+twitter+reddit+github

Has anyone used a Raspberry Pi 400 to run Lakka? Does it need its own special build or will the rpi4arm work with it. Does it behave any differently?