Please help troubleshoot a shader problem (gameboy.slangp)

Hi all,

I’m new to the shader scene and frankly, the emulation scene too. I’ve been using retroarch for the past few weeks to play handheld games and I’ve been using the shader gameboy.slangp. I’m in love with the way this shader looks, but inexplicably, it stopped working the other day and all I see is this green screen.

The following shaders also display the same behavior: gameboy-light.slangp, gameboy-pocket.slangp. Other shaders seem to work just fine. I must have broken something, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what’s not working or how I can fix it.

I’ve tried resetting everything I could find to default. I’ve reinstalled retroarch. I’ve deleted all the shaders and reinstalled via the online updater. None of this has fixed the problem. I’m at a loss. Could anyone help me troubleshoot? I’m honestly not sure what I can show you guys that might help, but I’d be grateful for anyone’s time if they could help steer me in the right direction.

Thank you!

1 Like

Try to disable the overlay: Load a game -> Quick menu -> On-screen Overlay -> OFF

Also try to load /handled/console-border/dmg.slangp

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

I tried toggling the bezel but unfortunately it didn’t make a difference for this group of shaders.

I tried loading the shader you suggested and it worked, but it’s also super zoomed in? I’m not sure if this is working as intended and there needs to be a setting tweak somewhere.

I’m starting to think I might not get to the bottom of this but it’s okay. It’s not the end of the world! I appreciate your help!

First: delete \shaders\shaders_slang\handheld directory then Online updater -> update slang shaders

Load a gameboy game

Now go to: Settings -> Video -> Scaling

Set integer scaling -> OFF and Aspect ratio -> Full

Then load /handled/console-border/dmg.slangp

1 Like

Thanks so much for this.

I followed your instructions exactly and I still ended up with a weird super-zoom effect. I tried again (just in case) and had the same result, but it led me to a solution!

I’m playing on a steam deck and it occurred to me that I installed everything via emudeck. I went emudeck -> manage emulators -> retroarch -> reset configuration.

This ultimately fixed the issue with this group of shaders (and the weird super-zoom behavior) and I’m so stoked. I don’t fully understand how emudeck interacts with retroarch with respect to the configuration settings, but that seems like a problem for another day.

I’m currently at a point where I have about twenty minutes of nightly energy to game and the idea of playing retro-games, with these amazing shaders, feels like a warm and fuzzy blanket. I’m back in business now and I’m right grateful.

Have a great day.

4 Likes