Please show off what crt shaders can do!

You’re welcome I’m glad you like it, the fact that this is your first post in months just to talk about my preset says a lot to me and I appreciate it. I particularly like how the 8/16 bit one came out, I somehow got it looking like the composite signal but with the added effects of RF so you still get the rainbows in Sonic etc., both presets are the sharpest I’ve done them so far as well, all past presets were extra blurry as hell lol

2 Likes

99% mask strength

here’s the “dx” version, complete with exaggerated curvature, glow and bloom:

4 Likes

Some fine tuning, especially on bloom. I don’t like using bright boosts of sorts, they produce like a swelling on whites, so my only option to have a nice image is toying with bloom (until I buy a new monitor or go on TV). Arcade here, console to come. Open in a new tab!

5 Likes

In fact, bloom produces swelling as well as washing out the mask and making the colors look clipped/weird… that’s why I only use a touch. Keep playing around. Pretty much all the settings interact with all the other settings.

2 Likes

This shouldn’t be done unless you have a wide color gamut monitor and/or want to engage in some color mangling. Otherwise a lot of colors will be clipped/weird.

For my 8/16 bit preset I actually changed that grade parameter to 1, all it’s doing is giving you the US warm color. By default the number is originally 2 which is the Japanese one which all of my previous presets used but this time I wanted something different. On 2 the image looks like this:

That works but after switching to 1 now it’s:

I like the warmer look plus as far as I remember I played those 8/16 bit systems on tvs with warm color temperatures, when 32 bit systems came I upgraded to a tv that had options to give me the cool temperature look and I always changed it to cool. My presets are somewhat based off that small nostalgia

5 Likes

I mean, the gamuts are literally meant to be used by a wide color gamut monitor because there are colors that fall outside of the sRGB spec, causing clipping.

Grade really should have better documentation, it’s all there if you dig through the forum topic though.

If you don’t have a wide color gamut monitor then you should just use phosphor gamut = 0 (sRGB). I believe @HyperspaceMadness was going to make that the default in the next release of the mega bezel.

If you want accurate warm colors (on a standard sRGB display) the best way to achieve this is with phosphor gamut = 0 and use GDV’s color temp control.

1 Like

I am using sRGB though, that’s under the Display Color Space parameter which is set to 0 by default, never touched it. I only changed the one above it which gives you the option of NTSC-U, NTSC-J and Pal. I wanted the US one so I changed it to that. On top of that I like grade’s color control more which is the reason guest even added grade to his shader because I asked for it to be included a while back. I only tweak the bare minimum with grade, mostly everything I leave on default

1 Like

Yeah those require a wide color gamut as well because those specs have colors not contained within sRGB, it’s all a bit confusing.

1 Like

The colors look good let’s just leave it at that lol

1 Like

Well, subjectively maybe they do to you. But objectively there’s major clipping leading the colors to look oversaturated and out of whack.

But you do you man.

2 Likes

I always offer the option for you to put your own twist to it and post up pics/settings but you never do it. Tweak the colors to how you think it should look then post up your settings or post your version using guest’s color system instead of grade’s.

2 Likes

I just posted some pics of something I’m currently working on, with an eye toward accuracy.

I’ll see what I can do with your settings at some point.

I’m just trying to clarify how grade actually works, as per dogway, because it can be pretty confusing.

If you want any of the CRT phosphor gamuts to look right, you need to use a wide color gamut display with the appropriate Display Color Space setting (eg., 1, 2 or 3).

2 Likes

Yeah this feels like a catch 22 right now with grade because from your feedback about how Dogway’s grade works:

1. You must choose one of the phosphor gamuts to have the color temperature adjustment work
  2. If you choose a phosphor gamut you need a wide gamut monitor to display the phosphor gamut correctly (which most people don’t have)
  3. You also mentioned that it needs a custom monitor LUT which matches your monitor (Which almost no one will know to do, and I think requires some hardware? )

Since phosphor gamut and the color temperature are IMO a couple of the core feature of grade this seems like a catch 22 situation, because to use the base features you have to fulfill these other requirements which will not be met by 99% of users.

So to me it seems that I am left with a couple of choices in the Mega Bezel to support the average user.

1. Leave it as is with the phosphor gamut on so that color temperature keeps working, even if there is an issue with some colors going out of range.
  2. Use a different colour correction than grade which may not be as accurate, but doesn’t have these requirements

So I’m really not sure what the best solution is here :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

Even without the phosphor gamuts, the contrast pivot and gamma correction are still good reasons to use grade.

But yeah, everything else is advanced user stuff that probably only applies to 1% of all users.

3 Likes

In no way is this post intended to replace my presets from this post, but I thought I’d share what these presets were originally intended to look like but ended up being changed to what they are now cause it doesn’t look good without integer scaling and I don’t like using integer scaling. If integer scaling isn’t enabled you’ll get this moire pattern so I went into the parameters and changed it from 0 to 3 and the image went from this (it’s more noticable in game but you can see a moire-like pattern in the blue sky):

to a cleaner image like this:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1a03swpzigntlhd/crt-guest-advanced-ntsc-slotmask_alternate_presets_3-25-2022.zip/file

If you don’t mind the image being cropped on the top and bottom a bit you’ll likely enjoy these presets, they even have scanlines now. For an even grittier old school look and feel on the 8/16 bit preset go into the parameters and change the Add Noise to -50 or -60 and the Bloom Distribution to 40 or 50.

I’ve also been using the glsl “crt-consumer” shader, it’s a good light weight shader for cores that only work good on the gl driver (yaba sanshiro):

shaders = "1"
shader0 = "shaders_glsl/crt/shaders/testing.glsl"
filter_linear0 = "true"
wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input0 = "false"
alias0 = ""
float_framebuffer0 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer0 = "false"
blurx = "0.450000"
blury = "0.150000"
warpx = "0.030000"
warpy = "0.040000"
corner = "0.020000"
smoothness = "100.000000"
scanlow = "4.000000"
scanhigh = "5.000000"
slotmask = "0.500000"
slotwidth = "3.000000"
double_slot = "2.000000"
GAMMA_IN = "2.200000"
sat = "1.000000"
contrast = "1.100000"
WP = "-100.000000"
7 Likes

Guest.r-Dr.Venom-mini on my old Xiaomi redmi note 3 pro (Snapdragon 650). I can’t run much, eg can’t run crt-consumer full speed let alone some heavy ones like Geom, but can run this and it looks good.

3 Likes

Most definitely looks good! Have you tried running these in conjunction with CPU based Video Filters like Blargg NTSC?

Also, what games are featured in those screenshots?

1 Like

I have one preset in that phone with ntsc shader and Guest.r-mini on top of that. The games are Bruce Lee Master system, I think that is a homebrew and Chaos Engine (or else Soldiers of fortune in USA) for SNES.

1 Like

22 posts were split to a new topic: It’s Squabblin’ Time! dry vs blurry edition