Please show off what crt shaders can do!

As much as I love, use and enjoy shaders, the real test would be a real, in presence, live comparison. but I think the road is still very long… masks close up don`t say much about the whole image and general “effect” . Just my opinion!

1 Like

Wow!. That really looks really good.Looks like a trinitron.

1 Like

Emulating a low end Trinitron around 300 tvl can be done even on 1080p. Games with no scrolling like e.g. Bubble bobble, Cabal etc are pretty close. I know because I have them side by side a Trinitron and my laptop. Of course Crt is way more bright.

4 Likes

You should check out the side by side comparisons in the Megatron thread. Both photos taken with the same camera settings. The last hurdle to clear is motion clarity, I don’t know if BFI @ 120Hz is enough to preserve mask detail in all situations

3 Likes

What I’m saying is that still images don’t tell the whole story, when playing a game other than the mask, factors like brightness (and the way it shows), contrast, color rendition, glow and motion they all make the final result. Don’t misunderstand me, I only use modern display and shaders are a real game-changer, plus from many other point of view I prefer modern monitors for many other reasons (power consumptions, easy of use with modern hardware, space and maintenance are the main ones).

1 Like

I used to think that the loss of the mask detail during background scrolling or sprite movement was a by product of slow response times or from the sample and hold technology but I’ve put this to the test and confirmed that this is all happening in our eyes and brains and not at the display level. So in other words it’s an optical illusion.

Depending on how you focus on the screen or if you deliberately try to follow the scrolling, you’ll see that in fact the mask never disappears.

2 Likes

You mean the mask never disappears at 60Hz? Someone better inform Blur Busters that sample and hold blur isn’t real

It doesn’t disappear but it gets blurred together and loses definition.

Respectfully, there’s a large branch of display science dedicated to this very thing, I highly doubt this is all in our heads.

2 Likes

For masks, at least, they’re static content, so they shouldn’t really get blurred, right?

2 Likes

Ok so I can finally see this. I had to use a mask size of 2, black and white aperture grille (1080p). If you look at the edges you can still see the mask while it appears to disappear if you’re looking at the entire screen, so yes there is some kind of persistence of vision optical illusion thing going on. I retract my previous comment! Does it work the same on a CRT?

In any case we still need BFI or something to mitigate the blur with moving objects. When eye tracking an individual object on a CRT, it’s crystal clear. Even BFI @120Hz isn’t enough to completely match the CRT’s motion clarity.

4 Likes

oh yeah, hundred percent. Motion clarity is definitely still an issue.

4 Likes

…And the results are in:

13 got it correct, while 16 didn’t!

Most folks seemed to have really enjoyed the challenge though!

1 Like

Thanks @RetroGames4K! That was something I was experimenting with a very long time ago that I decided I would share with the community.

It’s probably a good idea to test your presets with video as well as games because you might notice things that you otherwise might have missed using games alone.

If only the FFMPEG core could work as well as something like MPC-HC/LAV Filters.

I think we’re lacking a bit in the video playback category. Hopefully at some point someone can give it an overhaul or develop a new video playback core that just works like any other normal media player.

1 Like

That’s damn near a 50/50 split. Mission accomplished.

1 Like

ha, I guessed correctly just based on the blue-push in the second pic that always happens to photos of CRTs. I’m glad to see so many people guessing wrong over silly stuff like curvature and reflections :smiley:

2 Likes

Now that my latest shader pack has been released I can stop tweaking for a bit and go back to just enjoying some games. First game I chose was Ninja Gaiden for Sega Master System, cool little game and challenging as hell. I took shots of each stage all the way up to the final boss battle. Preset used: Shadow Mask ntsc 3-phase neutral.

5 Likes

How do I test videos?

1 Like

You can download the FFMPEG Core and load them up using the Load Content Menu.

In my experience, compatibility has been hit or miss though.

You can also use the new WindowCast Core.

1 Like

Can Find FFMPEG Core in Retroarch, also I don’t know how to make windowcast work. I tried it, also read the description, but still doesn’t work.:confused:

1 Like

I managed to make FFMPG work. This is how it looks…

7 Likes

It’s a bit tricky sometimes. You can try posting in the thread and see if you can get some assistance or following what seemed to work for others.

Excellent!

Wow! Impressive!

2 Likes