Please show off what crt shaders can do!

Thanks @RetroGames4K! That was something I was experimenting with a very long time ago that I decided I would share with the community.

It’s probably a good idea to test your presets with video as well as games because you might notice things that you otherwise might have missed using games alone.

If only the FFMPEG core could work as well as something like MPC-HC/LAV Filters.

I think we’re lacking a bit in the video playback category. Hopefully at some point someone can give it an overhaul or develop a new video playback core that just works like any other normal media player.

1 Like

That’s damn near a 50/50 split. Mission accomplished.

1 Like

ha, I guessed correctly just based on the blue-push in the second pic that always happens to photos of CRTs. I’m glad to see so many people guessing wrong over silly stuff like curvature and reflections :smiley:

2 Likes

Now that my latest shader pack has been released I can stop tweaking for a bit and go back to just enjoying some games. First game I chose was Ninja Gaiden for Sega Master System, cool little game and challenging as hell. I took shots of each stage all the way up to the final boss battle. Preset used: Shadow Mask ntsc 3-phase neutral.

5 Likes

How do I test videos?

1 Like

You can download the FFMPEG Core and load them up using the Load Content Menu.

In my experience, compatibility has been hit or miss though.

You can also use the new WindowCast Core.

1 Like

Can Find FFMPEG Core in Retroarch, also I don’t know how to make windowcast work. I tried it, also read the description, but still doesn’t work.:confused:

1 Like

I managed to make FFMPG work. This is how it looks…

7 Likes

It’s a bit tricky sometimes. You can try posting in the thread and see if you can get some assistance or following what seemed to work for others.

Excellent!

Wow! Impressive!

2 Likes

RGB-360-TVL

NTSC-360-TVL

9 Likes

Have you considered adding the smallest smidge of glow/magic glow? Using the negative values, from what I can see, very subtly lights up the mask phosphors even in pitch black areas, much like a real CRT would. Not sure if that would fit with the look you’re going for, but it came to mind looking at your pics above, which look great, but I was drawn to the black square area in the bottom left part of the pic, which is entirely devoid of anything, so it stands out a bit IMO. Adding that teensy bit of glow might be interesting. Just saiyan.

2 Likes

I actually did add a bit (0.01), but it’s only noticeable in certain situations. Here’s what it looks like currently:

And here’s with -0.01

2 Likes

Yeah, you can barely see it. Maybe increase the radius a bit?

3 Likes

It’s very interesting that you would mention this at this time because this is exactly one of the things I’ve been working on over the past 24 hours.

I also came full circle while playing around with some of the mask settings and ended up making a new Trinitron preset and couldn’t help but admire those pronounced and uninterrupted scanline dynamics once again.

The Magic Glow seems to help with transitions as well, giving a nice taper to the vertical edges of the phosphors allowing them to fade out more gradually and gracefully.

If you zoom in on these screenshots and focus on brighter graphical elements you can see this especially where they meet darker backgrounds.

Don’t forget to take in the scanline dynamics while you’re at it.

20230329_220514

5 Likes

Tried gdv-mini with grade as 1st pass (hue, color temp, color profiles, contrast etc) and it can look really good.

8 Likes

Grade is such a sexy shader

1 Like

Nicely balanced. Settings for these shots?

Is this at 4x or 5x scale?

Well the original DOS game size is 320x200 so it is scaled 5.4 times to fill 1080p.

shaders = "2"
    feedback_pass = "0"
    shader0 = "shaders_slang/misc/shaders/grade.slang"
    wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
    mipmap_input0 = "false"
    alias0 = ""
    float_framebuffer0 = "false"
    srgb_framebuffer0 = "false"
    scale_type_x0 = "source"
    scale_x0 = "1.000000"
    scale_type_y0 = "source"
    scale_y0 = "1.000000"
    shader1 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/crt-gdv-mini.slang"
    wrap_mode1 = "clamp_to_border"
    mipmap_input1 = "false"
    alias1 = ""
    float_framebuffer1 = "false"
    srgb_framebuffer1 = "false"
    scale_type_x1 = "viewport"
    scale_x1 = "1.000000"
    scale_type_y1 = "viewport"
    scale_y1 = "1.000000"
    g_crtgamut = "-4.000000"
    g_space_out = "1.000000"
    g_hue_degrees = "-3.000000"
    g_I_SHIFT = "0.020000"
    g_Q_SHIFT = "0.010000"
    g_vstr = "45.000000"
    g_cntrst = "-0.150000"
    brightboost = "1.500000"
    sat = "1.300000"
    beam_min = "1.600000"
    h_sharp = "2.400000"
    shadowMask = "9.000000"
    warpX = "0.020000"
    warpY = "0.040000"
    textures = "SamplerLUT1;SamplerLUT2"
    SamplerLUT1 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/lut/trinitron-lut.png"
    SamplerLUT1_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
    SamplerLUT1_mipmap = "false"
    SamplerLUT2 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/lut/inv-trinitron-lut.png"
    SamplerLUT2_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
    SamplerLUT2_mipmap = "false"
1 Like

360 and 540 TVL. Shouldn’t the scanlines be thinner too if 540 TVL? :thinking:

5 Likes

If by scanlines you’re referring to the visible lines, then yeah, they’re thinner on higher TVL displays.

1 Like