Please show off what crt shaders can do!

The phosphors in the first Aladdin shot look rounder and more realistic. Second shot, the phosphors are too square and it looks too much like an lcd grid imo.

3 Likes

are you talking about crt joe? or I show that you can change the vertical size in street of rage fix the windows of the buildings… at the bottom right the same point. net has 30 beam width min and the windows are 2 pixel high. at 60 beam width or more you see that the window is 4 pixel high… is that what you are telling me?

1 Like

Trinitron

3 Likes

yeah man!! the second picture really looks like what I have at home… beautiful cathode ray tubes It makes me want to turn on my TV. :joy:

beautiful nesguy… did you get a sony tv back? the blue sony I recognize it… not the same as on Phillips for example… the dark green of mario too… just that to take pictures the tv crt must be in a reasonable range in contrast… otherwise the picture would be bright in contrast but not ideal to take pictures

1 Like

which has nothing to do with bvm pvm… scanline visible on it? of course and the size of this 14 inch bvm??? my friend has the same one just go to his house to see it. this bvm thingy cuts the screen with a jigsaw, the bvm scanline can be seen in any situation, i was shocked the first time… because hr? =800 or 900 line… I’m not sure what the bvm does to go from 900 lines to 240 lines???.. big crazy scanline… never seen scanline so present on any consumer tv crt of any brand will have as much as the bvm pvm

scanline spaces from 900 lines to 240p??? I prefer my sony crt kv… or even a 40 dollar consumer crt tv… I don’t like the bvm pvm rendering except for dvd and movies where the resolution and the quality of the tube are more important in 480p or more than in 240p this is my opinion, i see people buying bvm just for retrogaming? or to show that they have a bvm to other users that they paid a lot of money for… but in fact nobody ever played it on a snes, or genesis… because it is either trinitron (for me) or slot mask, and the tvs had a soft image like the mario that nesguy posted so i see that nesguy posted a mario and it looks like what i see on my sony; but no scanline like the bvm i post again the truth of the difference between the low tv crt render. and pro monitor ( mario nesguy is located or???)

tvl 350 lines or??? bvm pvm??

88017f56095a188c9573da03b56356c570a2267f (1)

I could tell nesguy that the picture of mario is badly taken, that I can’t see the scanline clearly??? it’s useless, on my side I take pictures of my sony but I see nothing more than my mask phosphorus, except to make a series of 100 photos for 1 of good with visible scanline here is the subject closed for me

and my crt sony

)

just the preset i made which was slot mask, then change the slot mask png to custom aperture grill I have not yet modified my settings to take this into account. on oled it’s the same to take pictures from an angle or another

1st photo on the left mask well visible on the right? scanline more visible

as soon as I move away to take pictures? the scanlines are more apparent. on the second screen for example I’m not saying it’s a perfect replica of a trinitron. it’s a work in progress. but what I see at 6ft from the screen? the second screenshot is taken at 1ft from the oled…

and I can already count 3 scanlines on the brown block (each brick 3 scanlines) 4brick on total for 1 block if I get closer? I see the mask

2 Likes

Which is crazy, I’m looking at my crt photo while zooming in on the mask… I see the .scanline which are about 1/3 of the aperture… Then I look at your mario nesguy ( mario’s eye cut in two and the scanline is not 1/3 but 1/1) Then I zoom on my custom aperture grill png. I see mario the eye and the scanline is 1/3 like the tvl 350… Then your mario zoome looks like a pvm bvm with the eye split in two… The size of the scanline is equal on your mario, 1px free, 1px scanline… I zoom on tvl (the eye is not cut and the scanline visible 1/3… Logo tvl with all mario , zoom on tvl 350 mario

Nesguy mario trinitron zoomed

And mario on oled custom mask aperture ( look eyes) scanline = 1/3 on th rvb vertical size.

1 Like

shaders = "12"
shader0 = "shaders_slang/misc/grade.slang"
filter_linear0 = "false"
wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input0 = "false"
alias0 = ""
float_framebuffer0 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer0 = "false"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_x0 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y0 = "source"
scale_y0 = "1.000000"
shader1 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/custom-fast-sharpen.slang"
filter_linear1 = "false"
wrap_mode1 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input1 = "false"
alias1 = "StockPass"
float_framebuffer1 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer1 = "false"
scale_type_x1 = "source"
scale_x1 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y1 = "source"
scale_y1 = "1.000000"
shader2 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/afterglow0.slang"
filter_linear2 = "false"
wrap_mode2 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input2 = "false"
alias2 = "AfterglowPass"
float_framebuffer2 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer2 = "false"
scale_type_x2 = "source"
scale_x2 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y2 = "source"
scale_y2 = "1.000000"
shader3 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/pre-shaders-afterglow.slang"
filter_linear3 = "false"
wrap_mode3 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input3 = "true"
alias3 = "PrePass"
float_framebuffer3 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer3 = "false"
scale_type_x3 = "source"
scale_x3 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y3 = "source"
scale_y3 = "1.000000"
shader4 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/avg-lum.slang"
filter_linear4 = "true"
wrap_mode4 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input4 = "true"
alias4 = "AvgLumPass"
float_framebuffer4 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer4 = "false"
scale_type_x4 = "source"
scale_x4 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y4 = "source"
scale_y4 = "1.000000"
shader5 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/linearize.slang"
filter_linear5 = "true"
wrap_mode5 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input5 = "false"
alias5 = "LinearizePass"
float_framebuffer5 = "true"
srgb_framebuffer5 = "false"
scale_type_x5 = "source"
scale_x5 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y5 = "source"
scale_y5 = "1.000000"
shader6 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/gaussian_horizontal.slang"
filter_linear6 = "true"
wrap_mode6 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input6 = "false"
alias6 = ""
float_framebuffer6 = "true"
srgb_framebuffer6 = "false"
scale_type_x6 = "absolute"
scale_x6 = "800"
scale_type_y6 = "source"
scale_y6 = "1.000000"
shader7 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/gaussian_vertical.slang"
filter_linear7 = "true"
wrap_mode7 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input7 = "false"
alias7 = "GlowPass"
float_framebuffer7 = "true"
srgb_framebuffer7 = "false"
scale_type_x7 = "absolute"
scale_x7 = "800"
scale_type_y7 = "absolute"
scale_y7 = "600"
shader8 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/bloom_horizontal.slang"
filter_linear8 = "true"
wrap_mode8 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input8 = "false"
alias8 = ""
float_framebuffer8 = "true"
srgb_framebuffer8 = "false"
scale_type_x8 = "absolute"
scale_x8 = "800"
scale_type_y8 = "absolute"
scale_y8 = "600"
shader9 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/bloom_vertical.slang"
filter_linear9 = "true"
wrap_mode9 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input9 = "false"
alias9 = "BloomPass"
float_framebuffer9 = "true"
srgb_framebuffer9 = "false"
scale_type_x9 = "source"
scale_x9 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y9 = "source"
scale_y9 = "1.000000"
shader10 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/crt-guest-advanced.slang"
filter_linear10 = "true"
wrap_mode10 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input10 = "false"
alias10 = ""
float_framebuffer10 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer10 = "false"
scale_type_x10 = "viewport"
scale_x10 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y10 = "viewport"
scale_y10 = "1.000000"
shader11 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/deconvergence.slang"
filter_linear11 = "true"
wrap_mode11 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input11 = "false"
alias11 = ""
float_framebuffer11 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer11 = "false"
scale_type_x11 = "viewport"
scale_x11 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y11 = "viewport"
scale_y11 = "1.000000"
g_crtgamut = "0.000000"
g_vignette = "0.000000"
CONTR = "0.250000"
WP = "-100.000000"
glow = "0.000000"
brightboost = "2.500000"
brightboost1 = "2.500002"
scanline1 = "8.000000"
scanline2 = "10.000000"
beam_max = "1.100000"
beam_size = "0.000000"
vertmask = "0.500000"
scans = "1.000000"
spike = "0.000000"
h_sharp = "3.000002"
s_sharp = "1.000000"
shadowMask = "7.000000"
maskstr = "0.750000"
mcut = "0.750000"
masksize = "2.000000"
mclip = "0.000000"
gamma_out = "2.799998"
deconrr = "1.000000"
deconrb = "-1.000000"
textures = "SamplerLUT1;SamplerLUT2;SamplerLUT3;SamplerLUT4"
SamplerLUT1 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/lut/trinitron-lut.png"
SamplerLUT1_linear = "true"
SamplerLUT1_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
SamplerLUT1_mipmap = "false"
SamplerLUT2 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/lut/inv-trinitron-lut.png"
SamplerLUT2_linear = "true"
SamplerLUT2_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
SamplerLUT2_mipmap = "false"
SamplerLUT3 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/lut/nec-lut.png"
SamplerLUT3_linear = "true"
SamplerLUT3_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
SamplerLUT3_mipmap = "false"
SamplerLUT4 = "shaders_slang/crt/shaders/guest/advanced/lut/ntsc-lut.png"
SamplerLUT4_linear = "true"
SamplerLUT4_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
SamplerLUT4_mipmap = "false"
2 Likes

This is what I love about sharing. So yes well your capture .d’ecran… Can you tell me what is the shader? Guest? Royal? Kurozomi? Or maybe .the fast royal version?

Thanks a lot for sharing. So many good things to try. I will test this once the shader is identified. .guest advanced fast sharpen ??..

1 Like

I see the person who worked, got closer to his screen, then put himself at a distance to examine the thing, and fine-tuned the parameter.

Not a random thing and values… You took street fighter alpha3 (as my crt the picture I posted) I look, and what I see looks like my screen, the mask the render… So good job my friend. Nesguy.

1 Like

This seems to be the shader used here.

1 Like

Thanks you cyber!

nesguy s that what you use on your 1080p plasma TV? I will copy these settings and test on my side. See how it behaves with genesis, colors? Gamma? Then snes, pc engine and psx. A good shader preset should be suitable for any console and game. I don’t change my sony ctv between different games, the same rendering, and like that.I enjoy the games on my ctv…I play I don’t set shaders.

That’s what I want to achieve one shader for everything, 320240 or 256240 without changing any parameters for example. Thanks

So next week I have a week off I’ll be able to have fun testing my cyber friend’s preset Try it with the megabezel, it’s a great work hyperspace, duimon, cyber also participate And I advise you to try it, it’s a nostalgic pleasure to share.

Cyber thank you Nesguy thank you Have fun, protect yourself.

1 Like

I use different shaders for different situations.

For home consoles (SNES, Genesis, etc), I like to use an NTSC shader because many of the games were designed with NTSC output in mind and some effects don’t look right otherwise.

For arcade games, I like a clean RGB look since that’s what you got in the arcades.

I like a lower TVL (300-400) mask for consoles and arcades.

For old computer games, I like a higher TVL mask (500-600) since computer monitors were usually higher resolution, comparable to a PVM/BVM.

Basically, I just try to recreate the original viewing environment that the content was typically displayed on.

6 Likes

True but sometimes the same TV had different types of inputs and some consoles had different types of outputs so even with one TV set you could have variation in the quality you were accustomed to enjoying.

Then when you went outside to the Arcade, you might have experienced a different quality altogether on those arcade monitors. So now we have the option of switching on the fly and optimizing our presets, slightly differently for slightly different circumstances.

Thanks and same to you sir.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. As I am forced to adapt the parameters according to the content… But there should be an easy way to keep guest adv rev2 and adapt the preset to your games right? If not, well it’s going to be complicated…to share presets with the community… A preset a shader, a console emulated and aimed… But like you I do, slot mask arcade, vga game high tvl, etc… Well, thanks for the explanation. I will have to find the versatile shader able to display everything correctly. In France, the console where I don’t have rvb is the nes in composite video, color that smudges, artifact, etc… Because I use nestopia and I add the option blargg composite, that.reproduces.the.bad quality of the original.nes Not all have this but it helps for the.nes. Then the n64 case not in rvb either. So we adapt the shader preset…

Then everything else? Peritel full rvb at home in my country so perfect sharp display, perfect bright color, clarity in motion without video artifact due to poor signal quality or other… Snes? Rvb, pcengine? Rvb, saturne? Rvb, psx? Rvb Everything else is in rvb and offers a perfect display on crt tv sony … So except for the nes and n64 I think I can keep a shader. Guest slot mask? Arcade. Guest aperture, rvb console. That’s about where I want to go…if it’s possible depending on the shader, the versatility, the number of settings available, I don’t care about the performance, my pc handles 4k metro exodus rtx extreme… I’m not going to make my pc suffer with retroarch and even the biggest shader available (bezel and the hardest to manage I think) is where I saw my gpu working in 4k, the rest? my gpu is sleeping. Thanks nesguy

1 Like

Well there is. You can just use my presets - one for consoles and the other for Arcade. Lol Or you can just Save Core Presets, or Game Presets. It’s not that hard to do.

1 Like

The genesis/mega drive doesn’t output in that either right?

1 Like

The mega cd? extension It uses the video output of the megadrive (France) or genesis us. The genesis megadrive works in full rvb peritel and offers the same quality as the arcade. The 32x extension also uses the genesis rvb video output.

Like all the others I mentioned… The exception in France? The nintendo nes famicom, and the nintendo 64… Everything else is perfect. Those who are looking for the rainbow effect in sonic? In the waterfalls? It’s because they had a console with bad wiring, sega did not provide the rainbow artifact on genesis. I saw a post where he was looking for a shader for this effect…he didn’t understand actually… This effect is due to a composite cabling, cinch yellow cable video the colors pass in a wire… No separation luminance chrominance etc…

In rvb ? The Genesis does not produce any video artifact. The nintendo nes yes, because the programmers knew this weakness of video quality. Pegaman was created by taking account of that, (the megaman or there is a building the city, of the windows illuminated) this thing in blarg ntsc composite reproduces the effect which I saw on the real hardware. It creates rainbow effects, (but this is not on genesis) Rvb peritel genesis full rvb no artefact.

They hooked up the genesis with this. We call it rca video cinch (the worst possible quality in our country) Nothing to see, the peritel has more than 20 pins which ensure the quality, that is more than 20 wires. The cinch video thingy has one wire…

What about your home? Us?

You use super video That I also have here in France but… Cinch video > super video > rvb. Peritel.

The rvb offers a better rendering than svideo. I tried on my sony, yes it’s better than the yellow cinch video…but not at the rvb level…

1 Like

Better is subjective. Some games look “better” using composite than in RGB.

1 Like