Please show off what crt shaders can do!

Let’s think of a name together lol. “crt-guest-dr-venom-adavanced-composite-grade-rollingscanlines-special”? Kinda long I know lol

3 Likes

Crt-guest-adv-ntsc-sonkun-special.

Screw having a super detailed description, just add your name :joy:

Ikik, I was the one that brought up adding it to the name, then I realized that idea was kinda ridiculous lol.

4 Likes

Well there we go we have a candidate for a name lol

4 Likes

I saved your original preset (the one with a bit over-saturated colors) a while ago and named it “80’s TV game magazine”. It looks like the game photos from those magazines. :grin:

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s an nvidia thing, but on my laptop with GTX 1060 even if i don’t use integer scaling, scanlines look perfectly fine as you can see from the dosbox screenshots i uploaded. Same thing on my desktop with GTX 1070.

In my experience the Guest shader suffers less than any other shader. (Some magic happening there.)

What can be done to make scanlines look better without integer scaling on a 1366x768 resolution? Screenshots don’t show how it looks in motion (bad).

nothing, unfortunately. There simply aren’t enough pixels to make it look decent.

2 Likes

Lol yeah that’s when I cranked the saturation to .40 and changed the display color space to Adobe just to make the colors pop more. This latest preset I kept all colors and saturation neutral to keep things as default as possible.

Another ultra fast shader, a combination of plain scanline.glsl with a Gray-White mask, Bloom and Gamma. And it still runs 60fps at crappy netbook with gma3600 at 768p. Because why not? Some people may find it useful. I believe the image can be really good (especially at 1080p) for what it requires to run.

https://mega.nz/file/6upwVYqT#AWToDvhZo-2xVODf796qTmH7m5um74I9BLy5EMyI8JE

4 Likes

crt-geom with some tweaking and gtu-pass2 for luma control.

5 Likes

Another one, fakelottes with: all masks from Guest.r-Dr.Venom (glsl) added, mask size 1 or 2, contrast, bloom. Not bad i say. Still wanted to add a simple horizontal sharpness too. Not bad as it is, and playing with contrast really enchances image sometimes.

https://mega.nz/file/m2x0EbRA#0dXmWtbU8TB7Ny9f15LiSw4S2-l-H7aLqGwEWRzMOSU

3 Likes

A little tweaking of an old shader, crt-hyllian-fast. There was an old cg2glsl messy code roaming around on the internet without any options or mask, so i took it, cleaned it to be readable and added a dotmask and some options.

https://mega.nz/file/6npXBKzD#6gzTytAi9Avs4SttJj54XAprUaA6ykhxJ9Kb73rWJ5c

2 Likes

Hi sonkun,

I like your pictures so much, that I wanted to try your preset out in Retroarch. Unfortunately it gives me an error “retroarch failed to apply shader preset”.

I just copied a Slang Preset and with the text editor I replaced all lines with the text lines you put here.

All other CRT shader presets are working fine btw.

Do you have any suggestion ?

Thank you.

The first thing I would suggest is to make sure you got the latest guest shader posted here:

Everytime I download a new guest shader update I go inside the folders shaders_slang>crt and replace the 4 shaders’ crt-guest-advanced-fast, crt-guest-advanced-fastest, crt-guest-advanced-hires and crt-guest-advanced with the updated files from the link I posted. Don’t just copy them over, delete those old shader files before copying over the new ones from the update folder. Then from there proceed to the folders’ shaders>guest. In here go inside the “advanced” folder, delete everything in there and copy over the files from the “advanced” folder from the link, then go to the “fast” folder and do the same there. After that then fire up my shader preset and everything should just work. Let me know how it turns out.

Thank you for your quick response. I did it exactly like this now, but still doesnt work.

After I replaced all the files correctly like you mentioned and finally edit (replacing) the text lines in the “crt-guest-advanced” slang file, it will not be accepted by Retroach and fails to load the shader :frowning:

Try this, delete your whole shaders_slang folder, open Retroarch and update your slang shaders so that you have fresh unedited shaders to work with. Then try all the steps again from my previous post. Don’t edit any files in any of the folders or anything from the files in the link, when you copy my preset use a fresh blank .slang file to put my shader preset into then place it right into your shaders folder then try to load it up again. See if that works

I did all the steps you mentioned and then created a fresh .slangp file (called it 1.slangp) and inserted the text from your preset. Then I choose the 1.slangp shader and it still fails to load in Mame. Do you think there is anything else I can try ?

Are you using the vulkan driver?

yes, also tried d12 before. Both the same.