Please show off what crt shaders can do!

heh, i agree with you there. The updated one is much easier to get good results with (hence archiving the older one).

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I’ve just tried your settings and the image is splendid, great colors (the white is perfect), spot-on contrast, I think I’ll always use this for arcade games. A nice glow/halation effect would be the cherry on top, I’m not really into stacking shaders but I want to try something, if taking a couple of passes from some other shader (easymode-halation? glow? guest?) could work.

2 Likes

I mean maybe… But tbh usually you have to bake the halation/glow into the preset and shader code.

Like you can swap the blur passes and stuff when they’re already present, but to add glow/halation like it’s used in other shaders would require some work.

2 Likes

Found this nice reference image. I think it’s very possible to emulate this, looks like mask 7 + double phosphor width in GDV.

3 Likes

Here’s a close up of a cheapo LCD running GDV with mask strength 100% and some other tweaks. I think the aspect ratio is off because the scanlines are slightly weird.

4 Likes

I dont know how much sharpening you put onto your shaders. But sometimes I like the image to not be too sharp. This is my b&o tv with some blur shader. I think it looks nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s just how a camera takes a picture of a CRT, but so far I’ve only seen mame_hlsl have that 3d look. (As if every pixel is a pill.) Maybe if I messed around with guest_venom at 4k I could figure it out.

2 Likes

I mean iirc you can accomplish that with guest but ya gotta fiddle and I may be wrong at this point as I’m using the revision from like a year ago as a basis.

1 Like

Real quick demo. There’s also the trick of changing mask 7 to just darken every third pixel, but I can’t figure out how to do it now with the newest GDV. @guest.r

5 Likes

You can try either mask 8 or mask 9. Mask 8 should do the trick with most adapters i think.

3 Likes

This is why I get up in morning, looks good.

3 Likes

@Nesguy So when we doing this?

Also I thought you’d find this interesting as well!

2 Likes

3 Likes

There’s a ton of great 240p content here, but does anyone have any experience with 480p shader configuration? Or rather recommendations? 480p on a native 480p CRT has a very pleasing look, better than say upscaling games to run at a native modern monitor rez IMO. I find the image softening and natural AA provided from the mask tends to just look really nice and I was hoping to recreate it when emulating 6th gen games. A lot of shaders just apply the mask without spacing the scanlines but I feel like this can look super off depending on the mask.

Hell, actually, and maybe this is beyond the scope of this thread, but I wonder if you couldn’t just apply a CRT-esq mask shader/overlay on a monitor in general? Like on the OS level? I wonder if even modern games running at modern resolutions would have the same benefit/look from CRT styled mask

1 Like

There’s a bit of discussion regarding this earlier in the thread. It starts from my post here:

In short: it’s doable, but it’s a good bit harder to do right than 240p.

1 Like

I don’t know why this should be particularly difficult. Just remove the scanlines from any decent CRT shader preset and you’re well on your way, unless I’m missing something…?

2 Likes

Why does it look like there’s still glow here with glow set to 0? @guest.r

2 Likes

My phone says yes, you have small bloom/glow halos.

1 Like

Re 480p, we were discussing VGA PC monitors a while back, are there some references available regarding Arcade monitors and CRT TVs with that output? Dunno what the situation in NTSC land was, in PAL territories, some of the 100Hz sets offered VGA as an option. This didn’t turn them into fully fledged monitors of the day (.e.g Grundig which is a very common brand, notes in docs that the sets are supposed to accept resolutions in the 640x350-480 range). The sets are typically large (~70cm/27" and up) and standard TVs were mostly already slotmask instead of shadowmask I believe, so they would maybe differ in that aspect from PC monitors as well.

Re: shader config, some shaders treat high-res as interlace by default so this needs to be adjusted if possible. I think e.g. Geom lost the capability to display high-res content at some point, the cg version has the 1-5 setting, but GL and Slang only a interlace toggle which results in downscaling. You can still change scanline settings of course.

1 Like

they were getting crushed by my crappy monitor, but if you crank up the brightness, they’re there:

2 Likes