Please show off what crt shaders can do!

PS2 does output as you said but it is running a 240p game, as I’m fairly sure the Sonic collection isn’t upscaled from it’s original resolution even on ps2.

@Siors

I think this can vary a lot depending on the game, TV, and cables being used. 240p is a bit of a crapshoot on PS2.

To determine if the PS2 is correctly displaying 240p: If it’s an SDTV, you could hook up a console that only outputs 240p and see what that looks like. Also, if you have flickering/moving lines across the screen, it’s definitely 480i.

1 Like

@Nesguy

Yeah no flickering, and the various PS1 games I’ve played on it look much the same as the shot I provided.

May see how it looks with a solely 240p console when I’m next able, though I’m sure it’s just how the TV looks rather than a cable/console matter, but y’never know!

1 Like

Are those taken from an 8k TV???

I’m not trying to start a debate here but if it is the mask simulation is the best I’ve ever seen. Needs some more glow & thicker scanlines IMO.

But that mask is very very very convincing!

3 Likes

The lack of 480i flickering could also be attributable to the bloom/blur, though. What does it look like if you turn brightness/contrast way down? You may have to lower it quite a bit to get scanlines to appear.

Otherwise, if it’s an HDTV, it could be upscaling to 480p, which could explain the lack of flickering and lack of scanlines. If you get a chance, I’d check it out with something that you know is 240p only.

Not to digress from talking of shaders, but as you were interested I hooked up my PS1 and had a look, here’s what it looks like at various distances.

3 Likes

Interesting! I think I can make out some scanlines in the last image, but they’re very faint.

Have you tried lowering contrast/brightness until scanlines appear?

What is the brand/model of the TV? I’ve never encountered one that didn’t display scanlines with 240p, especially through RGB.

Either:

1. it’s displaying 240p but contrast/brightness is too high, causing the scanlines to bloom into each other.

2. The CRT is losing focus due to age

3. it’s an HD CRT that upscales everything to 480p

4. it’s an SD CRT and it’s displaying 240p and brightness/contrast is correct, but there are no scanlines and/or they’re so faint that they’re practically invisible.

1 Like

this is my guess :slight_smile: It looks great, of course.

2 Likes

Yeah, HD CRTs are amazing for anything 480p and up. PS4 downscaled to a HD CRT can look incredible.

I think PS1 games that used polygon-based graphics would also look great on an HD CRT (that first shot looks great!), but anything sprite-based needs scanlines to look right, IMO.

By tweaking CRT-Royale and its user-settings.h file too.I activated the runtime of the sub-pixels, activated lanczos window for sinc-resize mask, adjusted levels_autodim_temp to 1.0 etc.

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/CRT-Royale

I run 3 different games which are respectively 240p 480p (i) and 320x200 double scan, save state on specific area. I raise lcd gamma to 5.0 in shader options (retroarch) then I adjust the max sigma until the darkest part of the mask is homogeneous, then I adjust the power spot until the scanlines are the lowest possible without loss of details (aperture mask) as for my example on dark legions screenshot. I’ll post an example of my method after. @trnzaddict ty! yes i think i can do better better with settings :exploding_head: No it is in 4k resolution! it costs the price of a luxury car for a screen 8 k ahaha

Method screenshots.

First : https://pasteboard.co/Iifo8Fp.png (gamma 5.0 destroying my eyes :smile: )

Final : https://pasteboard.co/Iifoow3.png (aperture)

Bonus experimenting : https://pasteboard.co/IifoCQS.png (slot)

And using 240p test suite too :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Very interesting. The 480p look is something I was after, I had a look but there’s not user-settings.h in glsl. I guess I can copy it from the slang repository(?).

On a different note I finally managed to assemble a nice Sega Genesis shader with crt-royale. The issue is I couldn’t stack many shaders before the svideo part (link). This must be something specific to crt-royale. Therefore before the svideo part I placed first “gdapt - stripes” (two shaders slots) to remove the characteristic stripe dithering of Sega games, then color mangler modified with a vignette function. At this point if I stacked another shader like white_point it wouldn’t work so I placed it at the very end, this is better than placing color mangler at the end.

Comix%20Zone%20(USA)-bef-t Comix%20Zone%20(USA)-aft-t

4 Likes

GLSL doesn’t support #include statements, so everything in royale that’s not a parameter had to be hardcoded.

1 Like

Where’d you pull the vignette code from? MAME?

I used the one in film_noise, but grabbed the middle point from another shader that I don’t remember

1 Like

Hmm, could you post your color_mangler with the vignette? I like the vignette effect.

I guess it would be convenient to make it stand alone, also in this version you have to use different values depending on game resolution, and couldn’t find a slang variant (struggling with GetVignetting() )

(Edit: fixed the coefficients)

https://pastebin.com/Tx8uM28a

vtenis2-vign pjustic-vign

4 Likes

Personally I use GLSL myself.

Those are some nice screens.

I’m definitely going to check out that shader, I like how that looks compared to MAME HLSL vignette effect.

1 Like

It’s easy to go overboard (Project Justice example), use sparsely. I edited the pastebin link, I wrongly used the old version with Rec.601 coefficients.

1 Like

I kinda like the Project Justice screen, it is a little much though. Lol

I’d probably use settings that are about in the middle of those two screens.