Please show off what crt shaders can do!

Some clarification needed on crt-guest-dr-venom.slangp Does the -100% Color temperature = 9300k if my monitor is calibrated to D65? Sorry, it’s kind of confusing. Other than that, it’s a great shader; I really appreciate the ability to put my wide-gamut monitor to use. Thank you!

2 Likes

Heya there, glad you’re liking the shader.

It works quite accurate for warmer colors, cooler colors are calculated as an reverse linear change from warmer colors, looked quite decent to me, but it isn’t necessarily 9300k. :wink:

1 Like

I love your shaders ! Unfortunately my system cannot run CG shaders. Could you please turn them into GLSL shaders ? Thanks !

1 Like

Some cg shaders are not available in glsl and it will be difficult for me to reproduce the same rendering but I think it’s possible to convert shaders with python 3

I love the Super-res RGB professional monitor shader from the Analog Shader Pack 3 shaders pack cause it gives off a certain type of nostalgic look that looks amazing, unfortunately I can’t use cg shaders on my Shield TV and confused on how to convert cg shaders using python so I tried to replicate it using the easymode halation shader.

It even looks ok with integer scale off along with on vertical games. I’m still tweaking it to make it look better but if any of you want to try it out the parameters are:

Gamma Input 3.40 Gamma Output 2.20 Sharpness Horizontal 0.00 Sharpness Vertical 0.00 Mask Type 7.00 Mask Strength (both Min and Max) 0.50 Mask Size 1.00 Scanline Strength Min 0.00 Scanline Strength Max 0.40 Scanline Beam (both Min and Max) 1.00 Everything with “Geom” left to default Interlacing Toggle 1.00 Halation 0.03 Diffusion 0.30 Brightness 1.00

All shader passes also left on default.

6 Likes

It’s beautiful, I love it !

1 Like

Glad you like it. I love the fact it looks good without integer scale in it’s original aspect ratio. Here’s another one of a vertical game.

I couldn’t upload it here because the file was too big

I’ve just watched this video and would like to know how this guy manages to play multi screen arcade games in a single TV, he probably uses Retroarch, but I’m not sure.

1 Like

I think that’s probably standalone MAME, actually. They have a bunch of options for dealing with that kind of thing.

1 Like

@aorin1 if you read the comments below the video you linked you see this:

• [ Hypnos 999 ] but can rastan saga 3 be played only with a double screen?
    • [ TR Old School Gamer ] Yes. If you put a screen you will only see half.

but this is not true.

In RetroArch with the FBNeo, MAME 2003-Plus and also the latest MAME (0.212) cores, if you are using a single monitor, the game is displayed complete.
Maybe the dualscreen look can be achieved with shaders? @hunterk ?

1 Like

It’s in an option in the MAME menu Video options, “Dual Side by Side gapless”. You can bring that up in RA cores as well (tab key). With Final Burn I think it was that by default, dunno about Neo. Nothing to do with shaders really, as far as I can tell.

1 Like

Ah, i see. In MAME default is with gap, MAME 2003-Plus and FBNeo gapless.
Now we need a shader, that simulates a crt side by side on a single monitor :innocent:

[EDIT] here is a try with crt-geom and cocktail-cabinet shader. Maybe someone more skilled than me can modify the coctail shader so that on the left and right is shown only the respective half of the game, with the right orientation?

1 Like

Nice, I didn’t know about that, though I really prefer playing it without the dual screen gap, it’s an old game in ultra wide screen, amazing!

1 Like

Yeah, I think that’s nostalgia gone too far :laughing: The reason they used two screens back then was because they couldn’t have a single screen of that size at a reasonable cost. Now we can eliminate that problem and actually play the game on a single screen, as it was intended.

1 Like

Made some slight adjustments to my custom easymode halation shader, I think it looks more cleaner now.

The parameters are:

Gamma Input 3.40 Gamma Output 2.20 Sharpness Horizontal 0.00 Sharpness Vertical 0.00 Mask Type 7.00 Mask Strength (both Min and Max) 0.50 Mask Size 1.00 Scanline Strength Min 0.00 Scanline Strength Max 0.00 Scanline Beam (both Min and Max) 1.00 Everything with “Geom” left to default Interlacing Toggle 1.00 Halation 0.30 Diffusion 0.00 Brightness 1.00

All shader passes left on default, integer scale off all cores in their core provided aspect ratio.

5 Likes

Quick question, are the settings custom or did you actually change code?

The settings alone are custom, no kind of coding was done.

1 Like

Looks clean! What’s the third game shot if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks I’m glad you like it, so far that’s the best I’ve gotten the shader to look. The name of the game is Battle Zeque Den for the Super Famicom.

1 Like

How did you get MGS1 for PS1 to look so glorious? Please share.