Please show off what crt shaders can do!

Just a PSA: I got the geom modes working in the slang and glsl ports of CRT-Royale.

13 Likes

@hunterk - Wow, nice! Can’t wait to try this out!

Good job! :grinning:

Zoomed in camera shot running a WIP version of my CRT-Royale Settings on a display in 4K (aiming to recreate an authentic bvm look, of course):

13 Likes

That looks phenomenal

Bored…

1. https://pasteboard.co/IzTaOeS.png
  2. https://pasteboard.co/IzTbaMj.png
6 Likes

Is there a shader that ‘just’ adds the corner borders? I love these effects in CRTgeom on the guest/drvenom shaders, but I wanna add the effect to my own preset. I don’t care about curvature, just the rounded corners and that dark fuzz around the edges.

2 Likes

In the past, I’ve said no, but it turns out that the last pass of crt-royale (crt-royale-geometry-aa-last-pass) does it quite well. You just have to make sure your shader of choice ends up in linear gamma (i.e., dark) and you set srgb_framebuffer for that pass to “true” in the preset.

EDIT: to elaborate a little, you can easily linearize most shaders by just adding this after the last line:

FragColor = pow(FragColor, vec4(2.2));

and then you can load the royale last pass after it with linear scaling (exaggerated geom effects in this pic for illustrative purposes):

4 Likes

Care to share the preset and/or settings? Looks very nice.

1 Like

It’s a modified version of crt-guest-dr-venom, thanks for the compliment!

I’ll post my settings when I get on my PC, it’ll look slightly different though…

EDIT: Here you go! It’ll still look slightly different though…

Raster bloom % = 3.0
Horizontal sharpness = 4.25
Scanline type = 2.0
Scanline low = 5.0
Scanline high = 15.0
Scanline dark = 1.0
Scanline bright = 1.0
Mask style = 6.0
Lottes maskDark = 3.0
Lottes maskLight = 1.7
Corner size = 0.03
Border Smooth = 100.0
CurvatureX = 0.03
Curvature Y = 0.04

@hunterk How did you make that gif forever ago showing off moire mitigation?

2 Likes

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, I just took a series of screenshots and then stitched them together as frames of an animated gif in GIMP.

However, you can also do a short video dump and then use ffmpeg to index the colors and/or reduce the size and encode into a gif.

1 Like

Starting to believe easy mode halation is one of the best shaders, everything I throw at it comes out looking good for the look I’m going for. Just tried it out on some 480i consoles along with n64 and these are the results

I also made another edit to the shader for 240p based games

A couple pc based games

For 480i systems along with n64 and pc systems (pc 98, sharp x860000 etc) the parameters are:

Gamma Input 2.90 Gamma Output 2.20 Sharpness Horizontal 0.00 Sharpness Vertical 0.00 Mask Type 7.00 Mask Strength (both Min and Max) 0.50 Mask Size 1.00 Scanline Strength Min 0.00 Scanline Strength Max 0.00 Scanline Beam (both Min and Max) 1.00 Everything with “Geom” left to default Interlacing Toggle 0.00 (toggle to 1.00 for sprite based games only, always keep it turned off for n64 though) Halation 0.15 Diffusion 0.15 Brightness 1.00

For 240p systems the parameters are:

Gamma Input 3.40 Gamma Output 2.20 Sharpness Horizontal 0.00 Sharpness Vertical 0.00 Mask Type 7.00 Mask Strength (both Min and Max) 0.50 Mask Size 1.00 Scanline Strength Min 0.00 Scanline Strength Max 0.00 Scanline Beam (both Min and Max) 1.00 Everything with “Geom” left to default Interlacing Toggle 0.00 Halation 0.15 Diffusion 0.15 Brightness 1.00

All shader passes left on default, integer scale off, all cores in their core provided aspect ratio.

Only thing left to try this shader out on is handheld systems which should look good as well.

4 Likes

Don’t worry : I use your 240p version on Nintendo DS and it looks GORGEOUS ! Castlevania : Portrait of Ruin looks amazing with it.

Hello,

• I use retroarch on a 1080P TV and I would not like to activate the scale of integers in the menu of retroarch, I find that it reduces the image too much.

• Is there a way to have the integer scale (Smart Integer Scaling) of the crt-guest-dr-venom shader in the crt-royal-kurozumi and crt-royal shaders?

I have a preference for Kurozomi, which I never use because of the scale of integers. I’m trying to get a similar result with Crt-Guest, but I can not do it

• What distance do you play on a 40-inch 1080p TV with shaders activated, I think that the games (like SNES and Genesis) pixelize a little even with the shaders, I am obliged to play at about 2.50 / 3 meters of the screen. At this distance I find that the shaders make really good.

• Is the problem would be the same in 4K?

Thank you

If you go to settings > video and pick a custom aspect ratio, turn integer scaling ON and then increase the custom width to 6x and the custom height to 5x, you’ll have clean scanlines, the image will take up most of the screen and you’ll only lose a few pixels on the top and bottom to overscan.

Shouldn’t it be 6x & 6x or 5x & 5x? Otherwise you don’t maintain the original aspect ratio?

it’s a compromise. 6 x 6 is 1:1 aspect which looks really weird (thin). 6:5 is actually the real aspect ratio of the SNES, for example. At least it will look wider than taller, which looks more normal. Besides, 6x won’t fit @ 1080p – you’ll cut off a lot of the image.

1 Like

It depends on the content. 320x224 / 320x240 is relatively close to 4:3 already, so it looks pretty good at 1:1 PAR, so 5x5 would be good there (a little fat with 224 height, but nothing too crazy). Anything that’s 256x224, though, looks skinny at 1:1 PAR, as @c9f5fdda06 said, while 6:5 is pretty close to 4:3 (slightly skinnier than 1.3333, but not by much).

1 Like

Oops, i didn’t took this into account. You are right.

1 Like

Guess it’s official then, it works with everything. I would probably use the 480i settings for ds since I consider the ds as a “miniature n64” and those are the settings I used for that system but I would have to see for myself to tell, glad you’re like the shader edits though. I also believe this shader edit can be used on all tv resolution types from 720p, 1080p to 4k and it’ll look good since it’s not using any kind of scanlines that need integer scaling, I can’t confirm that though.