Please show off what crt shaders can do!

That second set of screens you posted are great,:+1:

I prefer how the scanlines look in those.

Which post exactly are you talking about, the n64 shots?

1 Like

Yeah the second set of n64 shots.

Oh yeah. After that, trying to chain in the gtuv shader was a done deal. I guess now you were able to see those vertical lines in the first set of shots lol, that just wasn’t cutting it

1 Like

Hey, just wanted to let anyone that’s been trying to use crt-guest-dr-venom with gtu just for transparency/gradient blending. You can use crt-guest-dr-venom’s Horizontal sharpness setting at about 1.25 which is lower then the default lowest setting.

I was getting a pretty decent Sonic waterfall blend and I was getting checkboard pattern blending in Monster World IV’s Title Screen.

1 Like

Colors are off, too warm etc… the usual thing. Everything else looks phenomenal. Good work indeed!

2 Likes

Thanks!

White looks perfectly white to me in both screenshots under the right conditions. This comes down to differences with the display being used and the distribution of rods/cones in your eye.

I don’t have my display calibrated to the sRGB standard, so it might come down to that. I crank up all the color channels to maximum, which helps with the loss of brightness from applying mask and scanline effects, but this results in a cooler temperature to start with. This may explain why the white in that screenshot looks completely white to me, but looks too warm on your screen.

Anyway, these examples are meant more as a proof of concept than “ideal” settings, since so much of this stuff is display-dependent.

1 Like

These shots look incredible- all using CRT-Royale on either a 4K or a 5K screen. This really demonstrates that realistic results ARE possible on a good enough screen.

One of these shots is from a 1000 TVL CRT, for reference.

3 Likes

These 4K/5K OLED TV screen camera shots are extremely awful, the real LCD pixels by (phone) camera captured with CRT shader masks mixed look absolutely fuzzy and ugly, like a cheap fake one to pretend to be a real one. No doubt, in the last 3 mario turtle shots, the middle one is the 1000-TVL BVM, the pixels and edges are naturally sharp, the black scanlines are deep and dark.

Yeah, maybe HiDPI by eyes looking or in display screenshots are superb (since I still don’t own one…), but in camera shots, it just that bad at all.

But, recently a Reddit guy post a lot of shots with his 15" MBP. It looks pretty neat, and even better than 1000-TVL BVM, IMO. I guess the MBP’s PPI is high enough (221 PPI, 15"/2880×1800; also a glossy screen). One thing I noticed was that these camera shots don’t showed pixels at all (whether real LCD pixels or shader masks), maybe the screen is too small, the PPI is too high; maybe he use the trick way or angle to take the shots.

1 Like

The closeups look terrible indeed. But that’s expected, subpixel artifacts galore. It’s impossible to hide them in a well focused macro shot, much more resolution would be needed, and still. Or if someone made a modern 240p LCD…

It probably looks great from a normal distance, though.

1 Like

I am currently testing a new preset based on the colors of this image uploaded on a site.

True colors may be affected by the camera but I still gave it a try.

No shader -> https://pasteboard.co/IRtkdPO.png

Shader -> https://pasteboard.co/IRtkmZ3.png

4 Likes

What Squalo said.

I agree that the mask/phosphor emulation isn’t very accurate, but that’s not really a concern until we have 1000+ nit displays to compensate for maxed masks and black frame insertion so the mask doesn’t disappear as soon as there’s any motion.

What I’m paying attention to is the variability of the scanlines and the black space ratio, which is coming very close to the real thing in those shots, particularly the shot of the 5k screen.

With a bright enough display you could max out the mask strength and this would give even more realistic results. Again, though, you’d need about 1000+ nits to compensate for scanlines, maxed mask, and black frame insertion to prevent the mask from disappearing during motion.

I think you’d at least have to agree that these shots look a hell of a lot better than the majority of shaders @ 1080p.

1 Like

Yeah, I think the subpixel-respecting masks can make it a lot more convincing in macro shots. This is kurozumi’s guest-dr-venom preset with cgwg-style magenta/green aperture mask at 100%:

The physical pixel grid itself is the main thing that breaks the illusion here, I think.

3 Likes

Is there a shader that emulates the wires of an aperture grille ?

not that I know of, but it should be easy enough to do.

2 Likes

It would be great, it’s minimal but it would improve the illusion of a crt screen. It gives the impression that something is missing in the black areas at the moment IMO.

Also, here’s my advancement of my preset which will be compatible in glsl and slang format,I almost finished.

1. https://pasteboard.co/IRDzlHG.png
4 Likes

That looks fantastic! I imagine that looks very convincing at normal viewing distance.

I’m really torn because I have a plasma TV that’s less than 7 years old, but it’s only 1080p. I know that the blacks, picture uniformity and viewing angles will all be worse on an LCD, but these 4K shots are really amazing. Plus, the plasma has that CRT-like glow because it’s an emissive display… it’s a really tough choice! First world problems.

@Kurozumi - any plans to make a preset for @guest.r’s new scanline-mask shader? I really like what you did with guest-dr-venom and CRT-royale!

At this point I’m starting to believe that royale and guest dr venom are the best shaders in the crt folder potentially followed by mame hlsl if configured right. Here’s another tweak of the guest shader, I tried to make two different types this time, first couple of shots are a tweak of my last post with more glow added in:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Next couple of shots I turned the slot mask all the way up to the max and tweaked some other things here and there:

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

If viewing on mobile switch your browser to desktop mode to view it in hd on that site, for some reason they have it to where images won’t change to hd when viewing in mobile mode.

2 Likes

@hunterk I have a question, is there a way to extract the convergence effect from mame hlsl or guest dr-venom (https://pasteboard.co/IS63B58.png) and make it a single shader with only the necessary pragmas and float settings?
I wish I could add this effect to another shader. (https://pasteboard.co/IS63uaov.png)

1 Like

That depends on what you mean by “convergence”. If you mean offsetting the color channels slightly, that’s certainly doable pretty easily.

2 Likes