PS Vita Nightly Discussion Thread

037b5. It’s the same one used by iMAME4All

Is there a changlog for the latest Nightly?

We don’t do changelogs. You can look at the github commit logs but they probably won’t tell you exactly what you’re wanting to see, which is presumably “this is fixed, that is broken”

Any reports on the performance of MAME2000? I wonder which games run better than PSP due to the Vita’s faster CPU.

I tested Street Fighter 3 3rd Strike on FBAlpha core and it was very slow (20fps) and stuttery.

I tested Stunt Race FX on SNES2010 core and it was also very slow.

All the games I tried from the MAME 037b5 romset seem to run . I am unsure if they are running at full speed but they seem to be, they are definitely playable that’s for sure.

Edit: The games I tried were The Simpsons, Speed Freaks, Donkey Kong, F1 Dreams, F1 GP Star and Raiden.

That’s exactly what I’m looking for Hunter :slight_smile:

Hello guys, i just tested some Mame 2000 Roms and compiled a list of some games with problems: (nightly 2016-08-27, Mame 0.37b5 Romset from archive.org)

Alien Storm (crash on load) Altered Beast (seems fullspeed but a lot of GFX glitches/not playable) Batsugun (fullspeed but no sound and some minor GFX glitches) E-Swat (blacksreen/doesnt load) Gunbird (not fullspeed ~30fps) Moonwalker (blackscreen/doesnt load) Mortal Kombat (not fullspeed ~40fps) Mortal Kombat II (not fullspeed ~35fps) Mortal Kombat 3 (not fullspeed ~30fps) NBA Jam (not fullspeed ~35fps) Outrun (not fullspeed) R-Type Leo (fullspeed but no sound)

Hmm the 8.28.16 nightly introduces MAME2003… I’m just about to see if it loads up…

EDIT: MAME2003 does indeed load up to at least the menu screen, but the ROM I want to load up won’t load in 2000, but after waiting a moment it does seem to load up in 2003. The ROM in question is 1995’s Sailor Moon Arcade game. It runs super slow though… like unplayably slow.

EDIT2: Likely due to MAME2003 being in its earliest stages on the Vita, it also plays my other ROMs super slowly as well. I just tried out the Simpsons arcade game and it ran a tad better than the Sailor Moon game, but not by much. I got the same results with TMNT Turtles in Time. I’ve uploaded a video of MAME2003 loading and running Sailor Moon in real time, so it’s an almost 6 min video. Here’s the link to the unlisted video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU-oT82m3tc

Make sure you’re using the correct 078 romset with mame2003

Mame 2000 is based on Mame 0.37b5 romset. Mame 2003 is based on Mame 0.78 romset. Both sets are available at archive.org. Mame 2000 only supports older arcade games from the 80’s and some early 90’s games, Mame 2003 supports many more games but emulation speed is way slower than Mame 2000. So if a game doesnt run fullspeed in Mame 2000 you can expect it to run even slower in 2003.

I believe it is the same with the two FBA cores FBA2012 and FBA but iam not sure about this.

Okay if I was to download these romsets where would I need to have them stored in order for MAME2003 to see them?

The amount of work you guys do seems so stressing. Thanks for all the work you guys do!

Any idea why FBA is displaying the games upside-down? Is there a setting I need to change or is it an issue with my rom set? Any help would be great, thanks.

Lol, i got 1943 and galaxians to work but the game runs upside down and my ship is off screen! is their a screen rotation setting, or a screen scaling option? I cant see any in options. cool work though, it’s looking good :slight_smile:

Its ok, discovered rotation to 180 degrees and 4.4 aspect ratio in retroarch options, then save config. perfect galaxians…whooooooooaaa!

look at my post below, you can solve your problem in the retroarch opions bud :slight_smile: its not your romset :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Twinaphex;44684]Can people test if VBA Next got faster for them since today’s nightly?

A generous committer sent a patch to us that adds initial threaded rendering which in theory could give us higher framerates.[/QUOTE]

Newb here, does VBA Next support standard game boy games? I couldn’t get it to run any .gb games that I’ve used with other emulators. Running 8/29 build.

No, VBA-M/Next-libretro only supports GBA.

OK so is there a core that supports GB classic? Also, how does one get back to the retroarch menu after loading content?

i use gambatte_libretro for gameboyband to go back to main menu by pressing l1 r1 start and select together.goto into settings,input ,main toggle gamepad combo to do this

i am familiar with mame2000 in other systems so this might help…

[QUOTE=01clinte01;45989]Hello guys, i just tested some Mame 2000 Roms and compiled a list of some games with problems: (nightly 2016-08-27, Mame 0.37b5 Romset from archive.org)

Alien Storm (crash on load) [/quote] unsupported encryption. try the clone astormbl

Altered Beast (seems fullspeed but a lot of GFX glitches/not playable)

known issue with this mame i think. works ok in FBA.

Batsugun (fullspeed but no sound and some minor GFX glitches)

known issue with this mame.

E-Swat (blacksreen/doesnt load)

try clone eswatbl

Moonwalker (blackscreen/doesnt load)

unsupported encryption. try the clone moonwlkb

Mortal Kombat (not fullspeed ~40fps) Mortal Kombat II (not fullspeed ~35fps) Mortal Kombat 3 (not fullspeed ~30fps) NBA Jam (not fullspeed ~35fps)

MK series and 90s midway hardware has trouble on systems with much better CPUs. i’m afraid you’re out of luck on the vita.

R-Type Leo (fullspeed but no sound)

known issue https://github.com/libretro/mame2000-libretro/issues/11