Question about Fakelottes parameters

Hi there,

I have been using Fakelottes shader for years now, thanks @Hunterk for creating it!

Now, it has two gamma parameters: “crt gamma” and “monitor gamma”. I usually have them on my Picade screen like this: crt gamma 2.20 monitor gamma 2.50

…But I don’t know what’s the difference between them. Can you guys please explain those two parameters or point me to the place where I can read about their differences?

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s for gamma correction. The masks have to be applied in linear gamma instead of the normal, curved gamma, so we approximately linearize it by pow-ing it by 2.2 and then we de-linearize it by doing the inverse (pow-ing by 1.0/2.2). However, CRTs were designed to use a higher/darker gamma rating than the standard 2.2, so we can over/-under-shoot the delinearization to leave some of that darker gamma. And that’s what those options are for.

1 Like

So am I right on having a higher value for “monitor gamma” than the one for “crt gamma”? Or should it be the opposite?

It’s arbitrary / to taste. IMO, it would make sense for it to be 2.5 for crt gamma and 2.2 for monitor gamma but ultimately you probably just want it a little darker, however that happens.

Yes, a little darker is better… at night, default settings are a bit uncomfortable.

Thanks for your anwers! :slight_smile:

1 Like