Rainbow banding with composite video - Presets for Sega Genesis Games

Tbh, the French and Russian users are more likely to just build their own shader (and post it on whatever forums they’re using ATM) :joy:

Moreso the Russians, j/s

The irony of it is that SECAM is almost exactly like PAL.

The only real difference being the colour processing spectrum both systems were using.

They usually fixed this by selling PAL games in those areas with a special PAL-SECAM Converter for their television sets.

It looked something like this:

@ynnad4

I tried to run the shader (the 3.0 version), but it just says “Failed to apply shader preset”

Did I miss a step?

good day there buddy. Just place it in shaders folder and load the preset. It shouldn’t have any trouble. Did you do that ? And set your video driver to vulkan or opengl.

My video driver is DirectX11.

No Vulkan support, and OpenGL support is terrible.

I’m happy to release now Rainbow for sega v4.0(+v4.1). It looks very similar to the video samble. Hope you enjoy them guys. Preset is for genesis plus gx and not blastem (rainbow will be unacurrate).

Big thanks to it’s original author for uploading the sample:

Left side is a Genesis console model 2 and right side is Genesis Plus GX

You can see the beautiful rainbow colors around the letters on first picture from Sonic & Tails text presentation.

Preset variants v4.0 and v4.1 available in:

2 Likes

Unfortunately these preset variants only may work with .slang (vulkan or glcore). Is your GPU so old ? I have a modest graphics card and can run vulkan with no problem. video -> output -> driver -> vulkan or glcore …

My bad I just confused a bit. I meant glcore but not opengl

I use PicoDrive with the Dx11 Video Driver.

By default, all .slang shaders should work with DirectX too, but for some reason it won’t load.

Have you tried it this way yourself?

1 Like

Those are for Genesis plus gx and some of them for BlastEm. I haven’t tried out picodrive almost anytime since I get some a bit annoying audio crackling.

The low-pass filter in the options menu helps mask out the “cracking”. Assuming you haven’t tried any of the newer versions.

But other than that, I use it because it’s a lot more accurate than “G+GX”.

The issue with BlastEm is that it’s limited to Vanilla Genesis/Mega Drive only.

You can’t play any games utilising enhancement chips, or any of the CD/32x games on it.

I do not get the audio crackling anymore, thanks anyway. I haven’t used that core in quite a long time.

The presets work all good in picodrive as well. But like I said, one of the admins told me that nvidia (GL) GPUs can work as well with vulkan so you should not have any trouble.

Don’t have a (dedicated) GPU, it’s purely Intel integrated.

I’m sorry for the mistake. I have confused myself with another file. Please take a look again in the rainbow v3.0 link. It should work now.

Hardly matters now with the new 4.0/4.1 version.

Wish me luck… Because it looks amazing on your end.

1 Like

Tried it again. It’s the same exact problem.

I even tried the new 3.0 you just linked.

Must be a hardware problem then… Maybe it’s meant for systems with dedicated GPUs or something. Oh well… :man_shrugging:

Or maybe the issue is that I need a “shaders” folder with all of the .slang files present.

Assuming placing it in it’s own folder in the “shaders_slang” folder isn’t a wrong move…

I wish at some point you can give these versions a try ! Decent GPUs are not that expensive. Thank you a lot for your interest into them !! Have a good day.

P.D: just has to be placed in the main shaders folder from Retroarch folder.

1 Like

That was the issue all along! :joy:

I just had to place it in the main folder, nowhere else!

The same thing happened to the 3.0 before the new link, so I assumed that the same would happen.

Now it looks great, though I still need to get a Laptop/PC with a good GPU, since it runs very slowly on it 30-40 FPS.

So basically a warning: Needs a good GPU to run it.

2 Likes

i hope at some point you can get a fluent experience. Good vibes to you for giving a try to those little things I found.

2 Likes

Apart from color, there are no perceptible differences between PAL and SECAM, in several shaders you have the option to change the color space.

1 Like