Real GBA and DS-Phat colors

[QUOTE=Pokefan531;19604] What do you think about the psp shader?[/QUOTE]

While I see there is a problem with GBA or DS when you’re not using any shader (color over-saturated), for the PSP I don’t really see a need to change anything at all. I see it’s blueish with washout black, probably like the real machine, but I don’t want that personally!

There is still some burning in the dark greys. It’s quite noticeable in Pinball of the Dead, 1st stage, 1st table on the left.

I took some screenshots to show you:

gba-color-fullrange+lcd-cgwg

gba-color-fullrange+lcd-cgwg + image adjustment pass with over the top gamma

That’s still better than what VBA-M does, just checked it to compare! but this can be even better. :slight_smile:

(that’s crazy how this game emulation is slow BTW)

I wanted to give a try at making a LUT but I don’t have the right version of Photoshop for this and there is a lot to learn it seems… …so I took your lut and made several tries to find a good gamma level I applied on it.

Then each game is a bit different so I added the image adjustment shader into the mix, so we can boost luminance, reduce gamma, increase saturation…

Unaltered GBA LUT.

GBA LUT with modified gamma.

GBA LUT with modified gamma + luminance x1.4 with image adjustment shader.

I think that’s not too bad (with what I could do) and can be adjusted.

edit: Newer version here

Hey there. I’m a bit of a newcomer to the field.

What would you guys recommend as settings, shaders, etc. in order to produce the most faithful experience of a GBA, through RetroArch? What should one go with?

I think what Tatsuya’s working on is the best I’ve seen, though the color LUTs aren’t in the normal shader repo due to their huge size (15 MB per, and there’s several of them). Even without the color LUTs, I think his borders+lcd_grid look as nice as anything I’ve seen.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;21893]I wanted to give a try at making a LUT but I don’t have the right version of Photoshop for this and there is a lot to learn it seems… …so I took your lut and made several tries to find a good gamma level I applied on it.

Then each game is a bit different so I added the image adjustment shader into the mix, so we can boost luminance, reduce gamma, increase saturation…

Unaltered GBA LUT.

GBA LUT with modified gamma.

GBA LUT with modified gamma + luminance x1.4 with image adjustment shader.

I think that’s not too bad (with what I could do) and can be adjusted.

Can be downloaded here.[/QUOTE]

Very impressive picture. I’ve just tested it and it looks great but I have a few questions.

I want to get the same picture as “GBA LUT with modified gamma + luminance x1.4 with image adjustment shader.png”, what I need to do is to change “#define luminance” to 1.4 in the image-adjustment.cg right?

When I do it the picture is not really the same as yours. Since I’m using another overlay, how can I disable the one that come with your shader? I would like to resize the video size and not the overlay+video.

Thanks in advance!

[QUOTE=justice99;21914]Very impressive picture. I’ve just tested it and it looks great but I have a few questions.

I want to get the same picture as “GBA LUT with modified gamma + luminance x1.4 with image adjustment shader.png”, what I need to do is to change “#define luminance” to 1.4 in the image-adjustment.cg right?

When I do it the picture is not really the same as yours. Since I’m using another overlay, how can I disable the one that come with your shader? I would like to resize the video size and not the overlay+video.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

Try to do those changes in the shader menu: options->shader options->parameters(current) and there you can change the luminance and the box scale.

Those parameters are also passed by the cgp file.

If you’re using another overlay you’ll probably have to make your own cgp/combination and find the right scaling. I’m not really good with that! I just tweaked some pre-existing cgp with trials and errors.

Where can i find the lcd_grid shader in the shader folder?

It’s part of lcd-cgwg shader, it’s in shaders\handheld\lcd_cgwg.

Thanks Tatsuya79

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;21915]Try to do those changes in the shader menu: options->shader options->parameters(current) and there you can change the luminance and the box scale.

Those parameters are also passed by the cgp file.

If you’re using another overlay you’ll probably have to make your own cgp/combination and find the right scaling. I’m not really good with that! I just tweaked some pre-existing cgp with trials and errors.[/QUOTE]

Thanks dude. Your shader really rocks!

Just finished the first Castlevania and I modified the LUT again, seeing several spots with strange gamma ramp along the game. A comparison on one of numerous problematic spots:

Standard, no LUT. Old mod (gamma on the LUT) with luminance 1.2. New mod (shadow correction) with luminance 1.2.

I’m not completely satisfied but perhaps that can’t be perfect: going from a game to another one, it’s always too dark or too bright. The GBA screen was cheap and I guess every developer couldn’t spend hours tinkering with their games color/contrast / there weren’t a standard method for color correction (?). I’d rather see a bit too much than lose a good part of the background, but in games that are too bright you can still go back to Pokefan531 untouched LUT.

More comparison screenshots in PNG, with Mario Kart. (Don’t care about the sky in Boo Lake race, it’s changing all the time.)

edit: Newer version here

Wow! nice job, man. ::applaudes::

edit: it’s amazing how details get revealed. nothing is too bright, nor too dark this time (at least for that game). i’ll have to test with kuru kuru kururin to see how that turns out (as the game is bright if i remember correctly).

edit2: i’ll be adding comparison screenshots too, whenever i get ra working as it should.

Well, that’s how it is, using the original version instead of mine for Castlevania harmony of dissonance. It’s almost spot on, just a bit too dark here and there. Mine makes the game awfully dull.

So it’s up to what the programmers decided and that’s annoying. Nintendo was so cheap on this machine screen. :confused:

What does it look like in Standard mode? The gba-standard shader that looks close to VBA-M’s but better. I don’t know if I have the gamma set in LCD shader. LCD-cgwg is slightly darker than lcd3x and my laptop works better on the second one and has problems with cgwg LCD shader. The LUTs are around 9mb each with PNG and there are two of them. My GBA shader is more accurate to regular GBA screen than how VBA-M outputs. I plan to adjust the gamma for LCD shaders for both GBA and NDS.

LCD-CGWG is a bit darker like you say but its gamma is a standard 2.2. I tried to push it up (in the lcd shader parameters) to see the result:

Your LUT at gamma 2.2

Your LUT at gamma 4.0

My modified LUT at gamma 2.2

As you see the gamma has to be pushed a lot to regain a bit of details in the shadows and the lcd grid reacts to the brightness by expanding the pixels a lot.

But, yeah, that’s about this Castlevania (Circle of the Moon) which is perhaps one of the darkest game of the system. I’m playing Harmony of Dissonance and your untouched LUT is close to perfect with this one. You can still see some slightly burned background and some other a bit washed out in that same game in various castle locations. From a game to another the difference is sometimes huge, it’s a bit complicated to have a perfect setting for all. I think it was up to developers to adjust to the bad screen… If you look at those “Famicom Mini” or Capcom/Sega ported oldies, you’ll see what a mess it can be.

Perhaps a shader with some sort of “shadow” parameters could be the best. image-adjustment shader is great to regain some luminance after the lcd pass, but for the shadows you have to mess the gamma too much making the whole picture too pale.

So I updated the shader with modified settings for the lcd shaders. You could adjust the settings to it if you want. I tried to make it close to how it looks on the standard variant. Also, I had trouble using lcd-cgwg for some reason, that’s why I had to use lcd3x.cg.

You shouldn’t have changed your fullrange shader as it was good for many games as it was (says the one who came arguing it didn’t work for one game at the beginning, lol). Bumping the gamma isn’t that good, a different LUT gives better result.

I made myself 2 presets; one with your LUT, one with the shadows modified LUT. I guess there are games which will be better with your LUT + a bit of gamma tweaking too.

Anyway, no perfect solution I can see. Thank you again for your work that makes those games a lot more enjoyable btw.

I’d have two questions:

1. how much vram might be needed by these shaders? would just 128 of allocable vram be enough?

2. if you guys are feeling like it, it would really be nice to see comparisons between these shaders, on the game Kuru Kuru Kururin (J). I, for one, am unable to get RetroArch working correctly right now. I’ve dropped out but no big deal, I’ll just try back in the future. I’m just curious as for Kururin. If you don’t know the game yet, give it a try it might well be your thing!

[QUOTE=twipley;22081]I’d have two questions:

1. how much vram might be needed by these shaders? would just 128 of allocable vram be enough?

2. if you guys are feeling like it, it would really be nice to see comparisons between these shaders, on the game Kuru Kuru Kururin (J). I, for one, am unable to get RetroArch working correctly right now. I’ve dropped out but no big deal, I’ll just try back in the future. I’m just curious as for Kururin. If you don’t know the game yet, give it a try it might well be your thing![/QUOTE]

3. 512MB says the first post.

4. Took a look at Kururin, that’s a bright game which is fine with Pokefan531 LUT. Without LUT. With LUT.