Real GBA and DS-Phat colors

1. oh, oops! :slight_smile:

2. thatā€™s quite at the antipodes isnā€™t it? iā€™m taking it the gba-color-standard.cgp is with untweaked (2.2) gamma?

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;22091]1) 512MB says the first post.

1. Took a look at Kururin, thatā€™s a bright game which is fine with Pokefan531 LUT. Without LUT. With LUT.[/QUOTE]

2. 1024 says the last post (me)

3. You donā€™t have luts

I updated the gba shader LUT, trying to make the fullrange looks similar to standard variant without changing the black and white values to 37-229. It should show more contrast to dark places. The fullrange variant is now named to gba-colors.cg and the standard variant no longer exist due to new version looking identical. So the new fullrange also has the xbr and lcd-cgwg variants.

http://imgur.com/jt9axM4 (Left - Standard variant, Right - New Fullrange variant)

Also, the shader works on 512 mb as well with latest driver updates. It fixed my laptop that has 512mb and still uses the builds from fall.

Thanks thatā€™s great! Thatā€™s an interesting basis to apply an image-adjustment.cg after it and get a wide range of results.

(in gba-color.cgp line 2 should be shader0 = ā€œgba-color-2.cgā€)

I just have problems having images adjustment after any LCD shaders because it looks like the shader is shrinked to 1x size and have a diagonal artifact. Iā€™ll check on these .cgps to see if they have a proper code. I have to rename the files for the next version because I was comparing on the picture on my last post.

Right now, how does it look like in your GBA borders?

[QUOTE=Pokefan531;22099] Right now, how does it look like in your GBA borders?[/QUOTE]

Really good, I donā€™t have that issue. Here it is with some quite strong adjustments (1.2 contrast / 1.2 luminance / 0.9 saturation)

A different setting with something lighter was nice for mario kart too. Had to modify the image-adjustment.cg to allow 0.01 contrast steps instead of 0.1 which was too imprecise.

Here is my cgp for Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance if that can help:

shaders = "4"
shader0 = "E:\Emulateurs\RetroArch64\shaders/handheld/color-lcd/gba-color.cg"
filter_linear0 = "false"
wrap_mode0 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input0 = "false"
alias0 = ""
float_framebuffer0 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer0 = "false"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_x0 = "1.000000"
scale_type_y0 = "source"
scale_y0 = "1.000000"
shader1 = "E:\Emulateurs\RetroArch64\shaders/handheld/lcd_cgwg/lcd-grid.cg"
wrap_mode1 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input1 = "false"
alias1 = ""
float_framebuffer1 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer1 = "false"
scale_type_x1 = "source"
scale_x1 = "4.000000"
scale_type_y1 = "source"
scale_y1 = "4.000000"
shader2 = "E:\Emulateurs\RetroArch64\shaders/misc/image-adjustment.cg"
wrap_mode2 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input2 = "false"
alias2 = ""
float_framebuffer2 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer2 = "false"
shader3 = "E:\Emulateurs\RetroArch64\shaders/handheld/dmg-shader/shader-files/gb-pass-5.cg"
filter_linear3 = "true"
wrap_mode3 = "clamp_to_border"
mipmap_input3 = "false"
alias3 = ""
float_framebuffer3 = "false"
srgb_framebuffer3 = "false"
parameters = "GRID_STRENGTH;target_gamma;monitor_gamma;overscan_percent_x;overscan_percent_y;saturation;contrast;luminance;bright_boost;R;G;B;SCALE;OUT_X;OUT_Y"
GRID_STRENGTH = "0.050000"
target_gamma = "2.200000"
monitor_gamma = "2.200000"
overscan_percent_x = "0.000000"
overscan_percent_y = "0.000000"
saturation = "0.900000"
contrast = "1.200000"
luminance = "1.200000"
bright_boost = "0.000000"
R = "1.000000"
G = "1.000000"
B = "1.000000"
SCALE = "1.000000"
OUT_X = "3200.000000"
OUT_Y = "1600.000000"
textures = "CMYK_LUT;BORDER"
CMYK_LUT = "E:\Emulateurs\RetroArch64\shaders/handheld/color-lcd/gba-color-2.png"
CMYK_LUT_linear = "false"
CMYK_LUT_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
CMYK_LUT_mipmap = "false"
BORDER = "E:\Emulateurs\RetroArch64\shaders/handheld/dmg-shader/resources/gba-border-square-4x.png"
BORDER_linear = "true"
BORDER_wrap_mode = "clamp_to_border"
BORDER_mipmap = "false"

I remade the portable pack with the GBA border + Pokefan531 new LUT + LCD CGWG + image adjustement. 2x to 6x, made a default at 1.2 luminance / 1.15 contrast which gives a result close to the old settings but with better greys.

You can adjust contrast and other settings in options -> shader options -> parameters (current) to tweak for the game youā€™re playing.

edit: Newer version here

So I take a look at the original GBA model and Nintendo DS phat model with backlight on. I put both at direct sunlight and they look nearly the same, regardless if the nds has the backlight on. The gamma is nearly the same and the nds is a little more saturated and slightly lighter on green and the gamma is a little more higher. The photo you showed me about your border with my new LUT with LCD shader, it should look similar to the real hardware. I guess the one from VBA-M tried to simulate how the brightness goes from the real display, but it has crushed blacks. I will release a new version tomorrow.

Also, nice .cgps on the border with LCD shader.

Edit: Released a new version with better LUTs and LCD Shaders are modified.

Great work Pokefan and Tatsuya79!.

Is there a way i can convert these to glsl shaders at all?

Thanks. I think the greys are a bit too light this time, about the colors Iā€™m not sure which one is more like the original hardware I donā€™t have.

I took some pics to explain: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow with new lut / with previous lut

You can see on the left of the picture, I managed to adjust the contrast to make the greys disappear smoothly into the black with the previous lut. With the newest one there is still some whitish gamma in the shadows I canā€™t get rid off without burning the bricks on the wall. I tried with contrast/gamma/luminance. Then the blue is a little more green, not sure how that is supposed to be.

Mario Kart new lut / previous lut

Here itā€™s a matter of fidelity/taste: the new one has obviously some more yellow in the green, and again the blue is more green. I wonder how it is in reality. I would prefer the full blue sky of the previous lut but the yellowish green of the grass looks good here, idk.

But overall the case of Aria of Sorrow (which seems to be like a majority of games) makes me prefer the previous version. The new lut makes good results in the first Castlevania but this game is really more of an exception you can deal with the previous version + some tweakings.

Also while the newest has more punchy colors it can be a problem when you push the contrast as it ends up burning the whites. ā€¦thatā€™s some tricky stuff.

[QUOTE=BlockABoots;22139]Great work Pokefan and Tatsuya79!.

Is there a way i can convert these to glsl shaders at all?[/QUOTE]

Sorry I canā€™t help you with that. The more passes the more problems with conversion is what I smell. :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally I like the previous LUT more, but I may be biased there as I tend to favour darker images. There is just too much luminance in there for my taste.

Then again, this is to be taken with a grain of salt as I myself have never ever held such an handheld.

Thanks for responding to the new LUT. Iā€™ll readjust it again and hope I can fix a few of these problems.

Edit: Uploaded the new version that fixes the color issues. For the grays, it was somewhat hard to keep it in good contrast for a little, but you can try to use the contrast thing.

Looks great. In mario kart it seems really fine: the sky is blue, the red is punchy and not orange like before. The grass had a blueish green, then yellowish, now it seems right in between. Looks good to me.

Castlevania Aria of sorrow is different than before, colors are punchier, thatā€™s good though. I went to compare several spots which have different dark/light backgrounds in the castle, found a problem.

Some details get burned here, particularly in the stones around the red windows: old-LUT(1st of May) / new-LUT

Iā€™m using 1.1 contrast/1.2 lumi with the new one, 1.15/1.2 with the older one. Here are the same pics without changing any gamma/contrast/lumi settings if that can be usefull: old-LUT(1st of May) / new-LUT

Raw pic without LUT.

Thanks.

Thanks for noticing the small error. It was hard to get a good balance of contrast levels. It was more challenging to have a good contrast since the gamma was down and there were small problems to fix. Iā€™ll see if I can get that part to fix. As for the colors, thanks for letting me know that I fixed the colors right.

Edits: Uploaded the new LUTs and fix some contrast. I think the contrast is good enough for Aria of Sorrow background.

[QUOTE=Pokefan531;22165] Edits: Uploaded the new LUTs and fix some contrast. I think the contrast is good enough for Aria of Sorrow background.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can see those red bricks now! :slight_smile: I can also see the strange green windows in the 1st Castlevania. Mario Kart is good too except that the road tint changed once again in the 1st circuit, no clue how it is supposed to be. But I see the details in Boo Lake, etc.

Well, every difficult spot keep its details now, colors are punchy, every game should be OK with some smalls adjustments.

Nice work. :slight_smile:

Updated the portable pack with Pokefan531 new LUT + GBA border + LCD CGWG + image adjustment shader. 2x to 6x, made a default at 1.2 luminance / 1.12 contrast which should be good for most games.

You can adjust contrast and other settings in options -> shader options -> parameters (current) to tweak for the game youā€™re playing.

edit: Newer version here

Thanks for letting me know that it has good contrast. Also, the red was a little down on VBA-M and it made the white a very slight cyan tint, and the original GBA has a little more red boost than VBA-M. Thatā€™s also why you see a slight brightness on red on the new LUT. The road tint might be from a contrast fix, or some color correction on blues or greens. It may be on the real hardware. Also, thanks for updating the pack with GBA border.

[QUOTE=Tatsuya79;22231]Updated the portable pack with Pokefan531 new LUT + GBA border + LCD CGWG + image adjustment shader. 2x to 6x, made a default at 1.2 luminance / 1.12 contrast which should be good for most games.

download[/QUOTE]

Thanks again, Iā€™m using GBA+lcd-cgwg-LUT-4x.cgp and it looks great.

Can you tell me how to disable LUT?

Thanks.

[QUOTE=justice99;22387]Thanks again, Iā€™m using GBA+lcd-cgwg-LUT-4x.cgp and it looks great.

Can you tell me how to disable LUT?

Thanks.[/QUOTE] If you donā€™t want the LUT then use shaders\handheld\console-border\gba-4x.cgp You should have it if youā€™re on a recent nightly.

Or update your shaders manually from here.

(then come back to the LUT after seeing how bad it was without it :stuck_out_tongue: )