Regarding the SameBoy core

Pulled from the Online-Updater a few minutes ago, now Sameboy works with Vulkan :wink: . Thanks very much for fixing, that’s awesome, now i can completely move to vulkan…

1 Like

People should appreciate Gearboy more!

This also fixed the 2xBR filter as a side effect! :smiley:

What would a gearboy core offer over sameboy and gambatte? Just curious, more the merrier though.

While it’s good that there is options to choose from I think too many of the same system can be too much.

I think a lot of users is confused with all alternatives and what the differences are, just take the NES for example and most of the time it all boils down to how accurate the emulators are.

We got Nestopia, FCEUmm, bnes, QuickNES and now Mesen, that’s 5 different NES emulators as of today.

If you’re like a user like me that have been around emulation since 1999 and is familiar with most emulators and know about accuracy then you wouldn’t be confused and the choices would be easy.

I’m in for accuracy so Nestopia is good for RetroPie on my Raspberry Pi and Mesen is good for my desktop PC since these two are the highest ranked in terms of accuracy.

However if you are an inexperienced user that haven’t been around much and isn’t familiar with these emulators then you probably would have picked bnes since you might probably think it’s the best and why wouldn’t it be since you might have heard that bsnes is the highest ranked accurate SNES emulator after all.

I think the Libretro team should start label the cores in terms of accuracy so users have a reasonable fair chance knowing what they are trying to run.

Cycle, High, Mid and Low is enough to label them with.

Nestopia (Cycle accurate), FCEUmm (Mid accurate), bnes (Mid accurate), QuickNES (Low accurate), Mesen (Cycle accurate)

There, I labeled them based off accuracy tests and grading and now users would have known what to expect from these emulators.

@anon24419061, @hunterk

What do you guys think of labeling emulators based off how accurate they are?

screw accuracy, especially for nes. nobody is even making advantage of playing under an “assumed” accurate core.

Screw accuracy? Wow, why not screw everything and stop playing entirely.

Why do I even bother with this anymore, I should just quit, sell my game collection and never look back.

We’re in a tough spot with that. While making decisions/suggestions about which core to use in a given situation is helpful for users, it puts us in a position of gatekeepers, which we don’t want.

Besides, a fast/accurate scale doesn’t even tell the whole story. For example, Nestopia has better timing accuracy and passes more test ROMs, but FCEUmm supports more mappers (i.e., higher compatibility) and supports achievements, is more stable with netplay, etc.

I do think we should stop providing a few cores on the core downloader, like bnes, meteor-gba, beetle-MD, etc. that are kinda noob-traps. That is, there’s no situation where you would want to use them over something else.

2 Likes

Despite my somewhat stupid answers/comments sometimes you always come through with your excellent comments on things, thanks!

This issue regarding sound that I reported earlier this week is now solved and merged, I’m waiting eagerly for the buildbot to build it.

Crystal clear crisp and accurate sound here we come!

1 Like

Good morning!

Does anyone know why the SameBoy core haven’t been built yet?

I really want to test the sound fixes out from my now closed and solved sound issue.

Just gotta wait for someone to sync the changes to the libretro git mirror. I’m interested in seeing how the audio has improved too :slight_smile:

I guess so, got plenty of other stuff to do in the mean time and I have to finish preparations for my RTM disc.

Good morning!

If you haven’t already, I suggest the first thing you do this morning is to download the SameBoy core and listen to some A+ pop and click free Game Boy music, especially Zelda - Link’s Awakening!

Game Boy sound on a emulator have never been this good before!

1 Like

Question. Does the Sameboy core not support color for GB games through the bios like Gambatte does? I don’t see any options for color palettes.

There are no palette options, but you might be able to hold down certain buttons during the BIOS to get colors like you can on the real hardware: https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboyadvance/colorchange.jsp

You could always request palettes for GB games as a core option on the SameBoy github issues page. I used to mess around creating custom palettes in Gambatte stand alone years ago, but the handheld/gameboy-pocket shader preset is so good I don’t really miss them.

You can use this shader, right?

1 Like

Seems like it is possible to use the internal GBC palettes on Sameboy. All you have to do is change the file extension of GB games to .gbc and Sameboy will treat them as GBC games. It is a good work around until there is an option to toggle which system to emulate on the core.

@LIJI

Hi!

I just want to report a issue I have been having lately with SameBoy and I have to do it here since I no longer have a GitHub account (for better and for worse)

When you set emulated model to Game Boy Advance in the core options, the door to the Advance Shop in Oracle of Ages/Oracle of Seasons doesn’t seem to open at all and it appears to act like still being played on a Game Boy Color.

Setting emulated model to GBA in Gambatte’s core options works perfectly fine and the door to the Advance Shop is open just like it should.

In SameBoy’s case I made sure to copy the cgb_boot.bin and rename the copy to agb_boot.bin in order to boot correctly with Game Boy Advance.

At first I tried to make a copy of my original gba_bios.bin I use for mGBA and rename it to agb_boot.bin but using a real GBA bios didn’t work.

The only emulated difference between AGB and CGB is the boot ROM – by copying the cgb_boot into agb_boot you’re basically emulating a CGB. The GBA’s CGB boot ROM (which has nothing to do with the GBA BIOS) has never been dumped, so you have to use SameBoy’s own AGB-CGB boot ROM.

Thanks for your reply!

Well that was certainly an interesting approach, it worked but I don’t know what Gambatte is doing differently because it can use the gbc_bios.bin somehow for booting in GBA mode and naturally I thought I could just copy cgb_boot.bin and rename the copy to agb_boot.bin to achieve the same result in SameBoy…shame on me for thinking that and for thinking that I could use the original GBA bios…