Regression on the latest Flycast core

Well, the new vulkan core is better, but framerate isnt the best or is it my phone (sd 845 lpddr4x) ?

Thanks for an honest answer.

Interestingly, the devs of damonps2 say in clear words ps2 is no problem for a sd 835.

With per-pixel (aka OIT) ? Iirc flyinghead told me the sd845 will struggle a bit with that setting.

I donā€™t think the PS2 had something like OIT (PS2 = GL1 ? GL1 had no such thing), which is the feature having heavy requirements for dreamcast emulation.

Thanks ! No, per triangle. Framerate is so quasi persistent but not fluentā€¦ Tried all settingcombosā€¦ No luck.

Ps2 is gl1 ???

Oh of course it is im no noob !

:joy::blush:

I know ps2 is surely not gl2. If, gl 3.2 i mean. So is there a reason to assume ps2 could be easier to emulate on android as dc ? Ps1 on android was a absolute success btw like finalburn,nes and md. Love playing these

Edit: just read itā€¦ Looks like sega had its own special chip / routine on dc.

Surprising, i would expect vulkan (without per-pixel) to be better than gles performance-wise, especially on sd845, maybe @flyinghead will know if there is some issue.

Today, I tested the Alpha Sorting per pixel mode with an Android 7.0 mobile phone. The screen cannot be displayed, and it is all blackļ¼

I tested quite a few games these past days and things are very interesting (OnePlus 7 Snapdragon 855).

This latest core is definitelly smoother in terms of frame pacing in both Vulkan and GL. Now, per-pixel is clearly more demanding than per-triangle, but not many games require it to be playable.

Right now Capcom vs Snk 1 is almost perfect. No more ā€œKOā€ glitch (with per-pixel) and the framerate is very smooth, with very rare drops. Capcom vs Snk 2 is also 99% perfect (per-triangle works just as good here), almost zero frame drops in gameplay. Both games work smoothest with Vukan and Threaded Rendering & Synchronous both set to OFF. As it is now, the core in Vulkan has framerate issues with Threaded Rendering enabled.

Neo Geo BattleColiseum works very well with Vulkan/per-pixel/Threaded off/Synchronous off. No visual glitches whatsoever and the performance is very smooth, with few drops (~ 59.5) when a couple of flashy effects are performed (only happens once).

Kof NeoWave works better in GL. Threaded Off.

GGX, Gigawing 2 and MVC2 work excelently in GL with Threaded ON.

Soooā€¦ Spent some hours on computerscience. The sad result is that seemingly a snapdragon 845 is nothing more than a hd psp. A saturn at best. Im that fed up with the secrecy and the hunt for a good phone. In 10 years of androidhistory noone made a table clearly translating mobile socs to their corresponding emulateable console.

P.s. ps2 on a sd 835 or 845 like damonps2 promises ? This is not true i think. even without antialiasing, which according to qualcomm is very Performance / Bandwith intensive if over 2x. See what specs the ps2 has.

I give it up !

Had i only saved my g5 (lagless nes,md,neogeo,psx.end of story.), my money and my nerves.

Far looking into the horizon, the only ones who benefit are s10 owners with dolphin (so silky smooth metroid). Ts.

:persevere:

Donā€™t give up man.

Try this site www.displayhz.com and you will find exactly what your screen refresh rate is. Then set this refresh manually in Retroarch.

On my old Note 3, i always had microstutters in all games, untill i set the refresh to exactly match that of my phone. And Note 3 had a peculiar refresh rate. Here are two screens with the web page: Note 3

OnePlus7

OnePlus seems to sync very well with Retroarchā€™s default 59.940, though Note 3 as i said, didnā€™t, as the difference was much bigger.

Hmmmā€¦ Dived bit deeper in that Q technologyā€¦ It says its not only quadchannel ram it says all cores,(which still follow the big little Architecture on sd845) CAN run simultanously.

Is there something fat hiding in the bushes ??

If im correct, it isā€¦

Left4dead2 like butter and though ps2 ??

Was just quiet disappointed. Is cod mobile everything was my first thought. And why is psp still so imperfect my second.

Ough !

Naw, ama Gamer. I know i am !

@barbudreadmon:

What would mean all games that need per pixel wouldnt run correctly on 845.thank you ! Love to learn

@radunastase:

Had this on lg3 or 5. .cfg to 59.000000

Bam! Psx ran like butter.

@barbudreadmon :slight_smile:

@flyinghead :

The, @least my problem isā€¦

What or why the heck didnt anything happen on 845 ? 835 would be unfair since lpddr4x (what made wipeout pulse go i assume, but still much too buggy Like on 845 !!

Host made psp gta vc go correct but wipeout pulse still is a mess !?

Like midnight club remix is still a total nightmare).

Effective no thing did happen on 845. With Q technology ! !

Why

ā€¦just regarding s10 and the so silky smooth dolphin metroid (ā€¦ But no local netplay, hence useless at least for me).

Garfield says: else it runs lagless and audiocrackling / - stutter free with local netplay or flys of my beloved piratebone.

An answer from above would be much worth to me.

:heart:

flycast core can work naomi 2D gameļ¼ˆGGXX,metal slug,etcļ¼‰ļ¼Œbut canā€™t work 3D game(DOA2,ikaruga,etc), How to solve this problemļ¼Ÿ

My deviceļ¼škindle fire hdx gen3 android verļ¼š4.4

What happens when you run ikaruga or DOA2?

I heard the performances of the kindle fire are awful, so i would guess he is complaining about speed in 3D games, which generally require more processing power than the 2D ones.

@flyinghead can you tell me which mame romset version is needed for naomi/atomiswave roms?
Is there somewhere a documentation about this?

Latest should be ok, i need to add support for a few recent naomi dumps to flycast but i doubt any of them will boot anyway (iirc there are only clones of the horse race game, and the parent wonā€™t boot either).

Thank you, didnā€™t knew that you are in the flycast core team as well :slight_smile:
I was just curious, as i use it only for Metal Slug 6 and Marvel vs Capcom 2 and they havenā€™t changed in the last couple of versions.

20 seconds laterļ¼Œapp crash

Can you please provide a log:

https://docs.libretro.com/guides/generating-retroarch-logs/

If possible using https://pastebin.com/

I did the original digging of naomi support from reicastā€™s code (https://github.com/reicast/reicast-emulator/issues/1188), @flyinghead improved it a lot since then, but i still contribute from time to time.

1 Like

Have you guys figured out why the Naomi versions Of Virtual Tennis 1 & 2 keep crashing?