Reicast 240p and mame roms support

The reicast core is getting better and better, I am really grateful for all the improvements. There’s 2 features I’d like to see implemented in the future if possible, first is proper “240p” support, a few games like Marvel vs Capcom, Street Fighter 3rd Strike, KOF99 Evolution are compatible with this resolution and being able to combine with integer scaler and crt filters would be a very good, also forcing 240p on titles that originally don’t support the resolution could also fix some games like SSF2X.

The second is being able to use the most recent mame sets to Naomi and Atomiswave, I’ve tried to make Marvel vs Capcom 2 work but I think it doesn’t because the original game is a cartridge game. Also, MVC2 on DC works perfectly until the second fight, the sound keeps playing and the game hangs.

Thanks for all the improvements, can’t even think the state of emulation in 5 years with such passion working nonstop.

1 Like

You can force downscaling in the shader, as in this thread:

2 Likes

Have same Problem trying to get the Naomi Roms working on Reicast. Just can’t figure out how to get them to work.

Sticking with DEMUL for them at the Moment

!

OMG! I never thought such thing like this was possible using a shader, here’s the final results for today, the 3 games I was dying to play at proper 240p with beautiful scanlines using my overlay.

Thanks a lot man!!

2 Likes

Could you explain how apply this shader? Is it only for 2D games?

Are you brazilian?

Thanks.

Sim! Brasileiro! : D huehue Funciona pra qualquer jogo, ele simplesmente força a resolução pro número que vc digitar, tipo 240 ou 224. Um exemplo bom da utilidade disso é o Street Fighter Zero 3 do PSP, o jogo roda esticado em “272p”, ele também tem opção de 4:3 mas mesmo assim fica com o aspect ratio errado, forçando o jogo em 224 as scanlines encaixam direito e os problemas de scaling do jogo (mesmo no psp) somem e além disso manipulando o aspect ratio usando os valores customizados no RA corrige a outra falha.

Resumindo, da pra fazer qualquer coisa! Vou copiar abaixo o texto do glslp que estou usando.

shaders = "3"

shader0 = "../denoisers/shaders/fast-bilateral.glsl"
shader1 = "../stock.glsl"
shader2 = "../crt/shaders/crt-hyllian.glsl"

filter_linear1 = "true"
scale_type_x1 = "source"
scale_type_y1 = "absolute"
scale_y1 = 240

filter_linear2 = "false"

Você criou um arquivo com esses dados ou editou algum?

Obrigado pela explicação.

Eu copiei e colei um glslp em outra pasta e editei com o bloco de notas do windows, é apenas um arquivo de texto simples.

1 Like

Can ya’ll repeat that in English so the rest of us can read it please. Thanks hue hue xdxdxd

2 Likes

As hunterk said above there’s a way to force resolutions using a shader. This is especially useful for games that were ported to another system that doesn’t support the original resolution like Street Fighter Zero 3 on PSP or KOF99 Evolution on Dreamcast.

I’ll copy below the exact text I have on a glslp file that I am using to load the shader.

shaders = “3”

shader0 = “…/denoisers/shaders/fast-bilateral.glsl” shader1 = “…/stock.glsl” shader2 = “…/crt/shaders/crt-hyllian.glsl”

filter_linear1 = “true” scale_type_x1 = “source” scale_type_y1 = “absolute” scale_y1 = 240

filter_linear2 = “false”

The 240 value is the horizontal resolution and you can change it to whatever value you want, for example the SFZ3 Double Upper on PSP was stretched by capcom to 272p which is the native PSP screen (resulting in odd upscaling issues), using the shader set in 224 makes the scanlines match 100% perfectly resulting in perfect alignment with the original resolution. IMO the game runs on a CPS2 emulator or something because it is running internally at 224 and then force upscaled to 272.

If you have any other question I’ll try to answer but I am not expert.

Can you help me to get this to work?

I copied the text to a glslp file to \RetroArch 1.7.3\shaders\ folder and then loaded it as a preset.

No change.

What should I change if I want to change the shader? For example can I replace

“/crt-hyllian.glsl” for “/crt-lottes.glsl”?

Why is stock.glsl included?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Most of the time, this will work (change ‘whatever’ to the shader you want to use:

shaders = "2"

shader0 = "../stock.glsl"
shader1 = "../crt/shaders/whatever.glsl"

filter_linear0 = "true"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_type_y0 = "absolute"
scale_y0 = 240

The stock shader is where the resolution change is happening to feed the appropriate resolution into the CRT shader.

2 Likes

EDIT Got it to work, thank you. I had to place the preset inside the “shaders_glsl” folder. Thanks for your help. The log showed that it couldn’t find the file so I deduced it had to be moved.

Here is what I’m using with 1200p display (1920 x 1440 internal Rez):

shaders = "2"

shader0 = "stock.glsl"
shader1 = "crt/shaders/crt-geom.glsl"

filter_linear0 = "true"
scale_type_x0 = "source"
scale_type_y0 = "absolute"
scale_y0 = 240

4:3

Guys would you know how to access the test mode in Marvel vs. Capcom 2? I’ve been trying to figure out how to do that so that i can adjust the damage and speed setting. Any help will be appreciated.