[REQ] adding an core-option (N64) to setting up analog stick type

wish there was a option for selection (fine tuning) the analog stick behaviour. because some systems natively use round movement for the sticks (DC, PS1-4) and other use a more square/rectangle one (N64, PC). Windows Tools like xinputplus can correct/compensate the behaviour of the actually stick to feels like matching the original hardware. a build-in feature like this can be a great imporovement in some cases i think

for example: until now its tricky to perform things like “cycle-moves” (Zelda, Smash Bros) correctly on a X-box360/X-One/PS3/PS4 Pad… and on future racers like SW Episode 1 Racer you are only able to boost (by pressing up) if you drive straight forwards. if you steer a little to left or right the “boost-meter” falls down instantly. that makes many of these games allmost unplayable for me. on my opinion mostly needed on N64 Cores but can be helpfull for other cores

some other analog-stick tweaks where surely cool too (like saturation/linearity)

1 Like

I KNEW the stick’s didn’t feel quite right on some systems! I didn’t know some did squares/circles for radius though.

Man, this would be awesome to integrate into RA as a controller function.

1 Like

That would be really awesome, I tried messing around with the dead zone range and other stuff, but I couldn’t get it to feel just right. When walking on very narrow things in Mario 64 it’s very noticeable as well, I always fall down.

Nrage’s input on PJ64 emulates this, but they say it’s the other way around?

Taken from NRages configuration manual.

“Real N64 Range also emulates a quirk of the physical N64 controller. The range of motion of a real N64 stick falls within a circle, because of how the controller is designed. However, Windows calibrates joysticks to within a square. Most people want to leave this on.”

you’re right! Think they mean a typical “PC Anolog Stick” for the old “PC-ports” (MS-DOS/Win95 with Gameport and later directinput with USB). On this devices the standard movement radius was a (nearly true) square that means much more squarier than the rather octagon formed ones, found on N64 Controllers!). a Bit hard to explain for me (my english is really worse) Maybe Lakka/Retroarch uses internaly the old directinput (or similar) port and not the newer xinput (wich is designed arround “circle-sticks”) and from here starts the analog stick issues on modern devices (X-Box360/X-Box One and PS4 Sticks) ?