[Request] Add 320x240 Resolution to Dreamcast Cores

I would like to ask to add 320x240 resolution to the dreamcast cores. Yes I know the real dreamcast didn’t support that rez. It is desired so 2D games can look better with scaler shaders. At 480p and up, the scaler shaders captures the jaggies and it doesnt look good. the 240p resolution would allow the scaler shaders to smooth out the rough edges and jaggies as intended.

1 Like

If you add a first shader pass of the stock shader and use an ‘absolute’ scaling method, you can put in that res and it will downscale it, then upscale with the following passes.

EDIT: this preset is a good example to get you started:

1 Like

Thanks. Afterward, will it matter what rez the core is set to in its own options?

No. It takes whatever internal resolution and downsamples it to 320x240 or whatever you set.

shaders = 17

shader0 = ./shaders/stock.cg
filter_linear0 = false
scale_type_x0 = absolute
scale_type_y0 = absolute
scale_x0 = 320
scale_y0 = 240

shader doesn’t load anymore after adding this. placed the stock.cg file in the directory above. and bumped up the numbers for each shader calling so that this one could be number 0.

Also, old shaders don’t have quotation marks. Is that something new?

The quotes don’t usually matter unless you have a space in a filename.

when you say it doesn’t load, is it failing to compile? If so, can you paste the shader error from the log?

I dunno. When I click to load the preset with the new addition, it just goes back to the menu with no shaders loaded.

It sounds like your path to the stock shader may not be correct. Try getting rid of the ./ and just have “shaders/stock.cg”

every other shader in the preset has that as well. they are in the shader preset folder. inside this folder is a folder called shaders. That is where I placed it (also where the other shaders are).

shrug, okay, I’ll need a log to know what’s up, then.

log: https://mega.nz/#!aw0mxQAZ!UekZ8r1DEhBFpU1UcSsmOfnG055nPEqsv9r0-yRH5PU

Retroarch 1.6.7

Ah, right, stock.cg refers to a bunch of other files. You can’t move it from its location and have it still work. You can use this old self-contained version instead:

1 Like

Great! That works. Thank you.

1 Like

lastly, can you post the self contained versions for glsl and slang as well?

They’re already that way. The Cg version is just a little weird since it uses separate files to house compatibility macros and then #includes them into the individual shaders.

1 Like

Ok cool. Worked. One more question, was a shader ever made to skip drawing the shaders over 3D objects and just let the following shaders work over 2D?

Impossible to do on a universal basis, AFAIK.

ok, thanks for your help

1 Like

The cg and glsl went over fine but for some reason, I’m having trouble with slang. even without scalers or the derez snippet. what was my mistake?:

https://mega.nz/#!C09hzTrb!E3d19q9fPZt9r5jP9Vxjaejapgqp_8AjJqQCZf9nisc

Here’s the problem:

Failed to open E:\Users\T Dean Jr\My Documents\Games\CONSOLE\EMULATORS\SONY\Playstation\RetroArch\shaders\shaders_slang\dreamscape\./shaders/aa-shader-4.o.slang: No such file or directory

It can’t find that shader file.

1 Like