RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

Cheat support across the board is something I’ll likely consider for 1.0.0. Don’t hold me on that but I’m getting strongly tempted to do it.

SUPER COOL!!! that’s the only thing that make me use mame4droid yet, if you implement that and update some more the MAME core it will be the definitive arcade emulation app on android!!!

Squarepusher,

please add a way to enter service mode and dipswitch settings in mame 78 if you have some extra time.

thanks to all the people involved

R2 brings up MAME’s OSD system, which should contain access to DIP switch modes as well.

RETRO_KEYBOARD support should take care of the regular MAME keyboard buttons - which should all work.

I can look into some more shortcuts triggered either by the pad or as a core option.

SquarePusher,

the r2 button in the pad worked great,i dont know why i never noticed it before.

theres some bugs to report in the mame core,or maybe they are not bugs just unimplemented functions:

1-dipswitch settings or any kind of changes in the mame tab menu are not getting saved,they revert to default at rom reload.

2-autoload saves states are broken,i think its because the mame “press ok to continue” nag is preventing the savestate to load correctly.

thanks!

We might have to get rid of that ‘press ok to continue’ nag screen - however, there might be MAME license complications if we intend to do that.

I should have to check if I am allowed to do that and if not, if any serious repercussions could ensue in case I were to take it out.

Xperia Play controls broke in this commit:

i.e. the parent of this commit was the last known good revision.

I’ll take a look tonight to see if the bug/solution is obvious, although that’s a fairly substantial commit and may require a good familiarity with the code (which I do not have). If you want to start a bugfix branch off of HEAD, I’m happy to test and/or contribute code wherever I can. My github username is littleguy77.

Edit: I’m pretty sure I see the bug. Will test tonight.

Does Retroarch natively load multi-file cuesheets ? Does it support “.ape” files ?

@solarriors I believe the answer to both of those is ‘no.’

If I’m mistaken, anyone is welcome to chime in.

retroarch works with multi-file cuesheets.

it does not support ape files though.

But when I got a “.bin” and a “.cue” file, which one should I load? (both work fine) So what should I do with those “.ape” or multiple “.bin” files ?

you open the cue file which then will load the proper bin files at the proper time/places.

the game images that you have that have .ape files for the audio tracks you should get rid of them and find proper dumps of the game. use redump.org to find the hashes that are known to be proper dumps of the games.

Thanks for your help

r17 (June 28, 2013)

• [Android] Input autodetection expanded -
    • Xperia Play controls fixed once and for all (thanks to littleguy77)
    • JC U912F gamepad
  • [GENERAL] Should fix GPU screenshots if last frame was duped
  • [PCSX ReARMed] Add core option to switch between Dual Shock and regular gamepad modes
  • [TyrQuake] Add core option so that you can change the internal screen resolution (note that TyrQuake uses the software renderer - it is slow - an OpenGL ES option will be added in the future for mobile devices and others)
  • [TyrQuake] For RetroArch ports that support RETRO_KEYBOARD and RETRO_MOUSE - mouse/keyboard controls should work now
  • [Genesis Plus GX] Updated to the latest version - 1.7.4 -
  • [MAME 2003] ‘game might not run correctly. Press any key to continue’ games can be run now - such as Tekken 2
  • [MAME 2003] Correct resolutions for Namco System 11 games
  • [MAME 2003] Some minor optimizations (very slight though)

Download:

http://themaister.net/retroarch-dl/android/org.retroarch.browser.RetroArch.r17.apk

still unstable as hell on the ouya. crashes often and somehow looses connection with the pad (no buttons suddenly work anymore -> crash). does one of you devs get or have an ouya to check this?

No we don’t have one. Which is the reason we can’t test it.

Hardware gifts are welcome.

THANKS!

Now, all inputs are works VERY WELL in Xperia Play!!

That’s great to hear :slight_smile:

Big thanks to littleguy77 for helping out with that.

Thank you for the new version, thank you for supporting Xperia Play, thanks for pouring sweat and tears into developing a free application which is so ridiculously awesome. It is now functioning on the Xperia Play. THANK YOU!

Some small issues do persist: 1) touching the bottom left of touchpad (crappy analog stand-in that the Xperia Play has) still causes the game to exit. Curious as you can’t do any “touching” with the touchpad in any other case, but touching the very bottom left corner exits the game as if you were pressing the bottom left of the actual touch screen.

1. If you go into the “green screen” menu, pressing the touchpad makes the cursor go constantly go downward, like you were laying on the down direction of the Dpad. If you exit this menu and return it is still doing it. If you exit back into the game, you’ll find that, in my case, Jill Valentine is moonwalking, like the down button is again held down. I don’t think it did that in previous versions with this particular bug but I could be wrong.

Anyone with an Xperia Play running out of internal memory should consider rooting, both so you can remove bloatware and so you can remove unwanted cores from Retroarch to keep its footprint to a minimum. Removing MAME and Final Burn Alpha, as painful as it is, cuts the footprint in half. Rooting took about an hour.

Edit: it appears that any touching of the analog touchpads at all, ingame or in the green menu, causes the “down” and the “right” command to spam endlessly. IIRC the prior versions (r13-r17) only had that happen in the menus. I could provide some video if that helps.

With device type selector isn’t enabled an analog emulation, right? Only asking.