RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

I set it to 30 to test if there was any difference between it and higher values. I did try going through values very gradually and saw no difference with that so I decided to try something drastic to see if there was any type of visible change, because I figured maybe this value isn’t actually getting applied correctly. Just to clarify though, if that value is set to 30 should the framerate drop? That’s what I was testing for and saw zero change. In other emulators if I set the refresh rate to 30 I can see the difference clearly when I test it. Is it possible that vsync is stuck on even though I have it turned off or something?

With both the way this setting has no effect and the fact that shaders do nothing I’m wondering if my settings aren’t actually being applied in some areas.

Do you have threaded video enabled?

If so, the refresh rate setting is ignored I believe.

I’ve tried it with both vsync and threaded video off with several cores and the forced refresh rate still makes no difference. I have it on 10 and the framerate still seems like 60 with nestopia, pcsx, genesis plus gx, and gambatte.

Well as long as you get no audio crackles and video is smooth, then I guess you are fine.

Fiddling with the refresh rate should ONLY be done if you aren’t getting smooth and flawless audio/video in the first place.

I do have some audio crackling even though the framerate is usually high, I thought maybe I could reduce that with this setting. I’m mainly wondering if something’s wrong with my phone and these settings are supposed to be working differently. Should I try to put an older version on my phone and see if the setting works correctly or something?

It’s an old phone with outdated specs running an even more outdated version of Android. You can’t expect much really other than making sure you nuke as many runtime services as possible.

That means running adb while playing RetroArch and taking a keen eye on what kind of services are running throughout RetroArch - and then taking efforts to either kill those or disable them.

Would rooting my phone and putting a newer version of android on it possibly fix these options not working? What I’m wondering is if it’s common for the forced refresh rate and shader options to do nothing or if it might be because this program is not tested on old phones like mine.

No, because your phone is too weak for newer versions of Android. Which is why Sony kept it at Gingerbread to begin with and does not advise going any higher than that (back when they still actually cared about Xperia Play to begin with).

So just to be clear, for most people using this program, setting the forced refresh rate to 30 would reduce the framerate, right?

Squarepusher, no logs, just some garbage collector running at random but I think there’s no connection with the hiccups. Looks like something related to the OS idle state, as the hiccups happens only when you aren’t touching the screen. When a bluetooth controller is connected it doens’t happen (even when there’s no input).

Nexus 4 4.3 here.[/quote]

Just wanted to check and see if you can run any shaders on your Nexus 4, or is it just a black screen with audio…[/quote]

Hi Rick74, I can’t run any shaders on my nexus 4 too, even stock.glsl gives a black screen.

Here is RetroArch Android version 0.9.9.4 (r18) -

http://themaister.net/retroarch-dl/android/org.retroarch.browser.RetroArch.r18.apk

BTW - Google has some BS '50MB size limit so we’ll need to remove one core - guess it’s Mednafen PSX.

EDIT: I removed MIPS/x86 cores for this release. Let’s see how many people will notice on one of the 8 (!!!) devices that total these two architectures for Android.

r18 (August 7, 2013)

• [Android] ANR issues fixed - Google bug (as ever).
  • [Android] Input autodetection expanded -
  • NVidia Shield
  • iControlPad changes
  • Logitech Rumblepad 2 (added RETRO_DEVICE_ID_ANALOG support)
  • Xbox 360 (D-pad should be fixed, added RETRO_DEVICE_ID_ANALOG support, triggers should work)
  • [RGUI] Throttle with timers - no more irrational super-fast menu with threaded video.
  • [Android] Appeal to low-latency audio Android devices for OpenSL (Android 4.1 and up)
  • [Android] Look for the optimal sampling rate instead of assuming 48KHz as default - should fix Nexus 10
  • [Android] Added ‘Optimal Device Settings’ and added support for both Nexus 7 2013 and Nvidia Shield
  • [Android] Added adaptive jittering for threaded video option. Should now be much rmore tolerable.
  • [Android] Enable threaded video by default - leave static syncing for expert users.
  • (LIBRETRO) Added Picodrive (PC/Android/iOS/Blackberry)
  • (LIBRETRO) Added SNES9x mainline.
  • (LIBRETRO) Added Stella.
  • (LIBRETRO) Added Desmume.
  • [TyrQuake] Added dual analog core option
  • [NEStopia] Add Core Options for blargg NTSC.
  • [FBA core] Prevent diagnostics at startup from being enabled to avoid crash.
  • [Stella] 2 players should work now.
  • [Genesis Plus GX] Updated to latest version.
  • [VBA Next] Start sanitizing some code back to VBA-M proper.
  • [NX Engine/Cave Story] Fixed big-endian bug on scrolling backgrounds.

Thanks for the update will try on my s4. Haha lol @google 50mb :slight_smile:

From now - releases on Play Store will be ARMv7 only.

Really - I just removed the MIPS and x86 cores - and filesize reduced to 24MB from 54MB.

Guess how many MIPS/x86 Android devices there are in total?

8!!!

Supported Android devices 2718 devices 8 removed

So yeah - if one of those guys owning one of those 8 devices ever complains - we’ll put up separate versions for them.

Out of curiosity how is it that some games seem to download from the play store, like Final Fantasy Dimensions, and are 200MB in size? Does google give preferential treatment to large developers or something? The entire 200mb seems to be coming right from the play store but maybe it isn’t?

I think so - we are only ‘little people’ to the ‘great equalizer’ Google.

Thanks for all the hard work and hopefully killing off another Broglia emulator with the addition of Stella. Guess I’m waiting on the google sync as the anonfiles link keeps going ‘network error’ on me.

RetroArch is doing something the unemployment office never could in his case - getting him to get off his lazy butt and go find himself a REAL JOB that doesn’t involve ripping off other people’s code and making ill-gotten gains off it.

If it doesn’t finish off his revenue - then it will this month - or the month after that. But bottom line is - that revenue will be shrinking from now on.

Thanks for the release… Running smooth as always on new Nexus 7. Zero framskip FBA… no stuttering or hiccups

I’m noticing that I can’t hit 2 buttons at once anymore on my PS3 pad… No multi touch? Any suggestions?

And I’m sure you’re aware, shaders are still broke on Nexus 7…

Anyways, great work! Looking forward to what’s next…

I have a new Nexus 7… I’ve run FBA Neo Geo and SNES and so far it runs flawlessly, except whenever I try and enable any shader ( I’m just trying to get scanlines running) I get a black screen… Sound continues… Maybe I’m doing something wrong… but anyways, no audio pops and no frame skip that I’ve seen. If I can get scanlines working, I can probably use RetroArch exclusively.[/quote]

Hello, I’m curious as to how the video output works on the new Nexus 7 - does it mirror the display as soon as its plugged into an external screen, or does it only work in certain apps, for example when playing a video file/movie?

I am waiting to purchase the new Nexus 7 (release date Sept 3rd here) and would love to be able to use RetroArch on the TV screen using a bluetooth connected controller.

Thanks!

I have a new Nexus 7… I’ve run FBA Neo Geo and SNES and so far it runs flawlessly, except whenever I try and enable any shader ( I’m just trying to get scanlines running) I get a black screen… Sound continues… Maybe I’m doing something wrong… but anyways, no audio pops and no frame skip that I’ve seen. If I can get scanlines working, I can probably use RetroArch exclusively.[/quote]

Hello, I’m curious as to how the video output works on the new Nexus 7 - does it mirror the display as soon as its plugged into an external screen, or does it only work in certain apps, for example when playing a video file/movie?

I am waiting to purchase the new Nexus 7 (release date Sept 3rd here) and would love to be able to use RetroArch on the TV screen using a bluetooth connected controller.

Thanks![/quote]

With the slim port adapter, it’ll mirror what’s on the screen… And yes, you can use a Bluetooth controller