RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

Just tested with a Xbox360 pad wired with USB-OTG. Same again could only pull of the moves once.[/quote]

Yep, it seems some games are impossible to pull off any moves that require 2 buttons. The input timing is beyond strict… Other games (King of Fighters) are no problem. Hopefully, the window for the input timing can be widened, or we can bind 2 key presses to one button…[/quote]

Yeah, I never play 3rd Strike or many games that use 2 button moves. I can see it being a problem for people that do though.

Yep, it seems some games are impossible to pull off any moves that require 2 buttons. The input timing is beyond strict… Other games (King of Fighters) are no problem. Hopefully, the window for the input timing can be widened, or we can bind 2 key presses to one button…[/quote]

Yeah, I never play 3rd Strike or many games that use 2 button moves. I can see it being a problem for people that do though.[/quote]

1000%…all I play are 2d fighters and JRPG’s… Need the multi-press function for those fighters, otherwise I’m at a little bit of a disadvantage… :frowning:

Just tested with a Xbox360 pad wired with USB-OTG. Same again could only pull of the moves once.[/quote]

What we can do is create a separate mode for now -

this will likely fix your problems - HOWEVER - it will cause ANR issues when you have 2 or more pads connected

So it’s either this or that right now - this is all related to this issue -

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/nativeactivity-input-crashes-and-anrs-simple-fix-dangerous-bug

Yeah, I never play 3rd Strike or many games that use 2 button moves. I can see it being a problem for people that do though.[/quote]

1000%…all I play are 2d fighters and JRPG’s… Need the multi-press function for those fighters, otherwise I’m at a little bit of a disadvantage… :-([/quote]

Street Fighter II Turbo for the win lol.

OK, I just pushed RetroArch Android for x86 devices to the Play Store now too. It has a higher code version than the ARM version (r23) - if Google’s Play Store filters things out correctly, it shouldn’t show for ARM users.

This is mainly for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 users (and some other niche x86 Android devices) which have x86 processors instead of ARM processors.

What we can do is create a separate mode for now -

this will likely fix your problems - HOWEVER - it will cause ANR issues when you have 2 or more pads connected

So it’s either this or that right now - this is all related to this issue -

https://developer.nvidia.com/content/nativeactivity-input-crashes-and-anrs-simple-fix-dangerous-bug[/quote]

That sucks…at the risk of sounding selfish, I don’t play with 2 players, so if I have the option to fix this multi press issue, I’d gladly jump all over it… You are the best, Squarepusher… Let me know if there’s something I can do to test/help…

Squarepusher, do you know if Maister’s threaded input is applied on the current build ?

He made this trying to fix the ANR issue back then, but didn’t work. But if it’s on the current code right now, I think this can cause some issues on simultaneous button pressing. Don’t know if it’s worth a try.

EDIT: just checked on github, it’s not on the current version.

I have no problem with the PS3 pad, except hitting 2 buttons at the same time on a handful of games… (Like the input timing is waaaaaay too strict)[/quote]

Or rather it could be that it’s actually correct now vs. how it was before (ie. there was more input latency before so you were allowed a larger window of opportunity for two keypressess to match).[/quote]

I don’t think this is correct now. Maybe having separate (working) inputs per core would be the key. Having this all in one solution is amazing on a paper, but you can’t make all the cores and users happy with only one set of inputs.

That would be nice to have :

-The select button to behave like the select button (now this is either quit or menu, but not select !!) -The possibility to map the RAUI to any button (PS button on the PS3 controller would make the most sense) -Working and more user friendly custom binds (I won’t mention any other emulator, but at least they got this part right) -Proper Universe bios support for the Neo Geo, and other regions working properly in general in FBA

If there is any testing or check that you would like me to perform, please let me know, I would be more than likely to help, and make sure I can finally throw away other alternatives, which sadly work best for me now.

Thanks !

I don’t think this is correct now. Maybe having separate (working) inputs per core would be the key. Having this all in one solution is amazing on a paper, but you can’t make all the cores and users happy with only one set of inputs.

No - there is only one “correct” way of mapping inputs per core and that is mapping them to the RetroPad using sane default layouts that correspond closest to the “real” gamepad. People who want to “reverse” control layouts the way it was intended is just sheer utter stupidity and I won’t appeal to those types.

In fact - I already appealed “once” to this kind of idiocy by having a “button layout” core option in VBA Next - but really, I’m not going to make it a habit.

Besides - maintenance issues.

Regarding your list of things that would be nice to have:

1. What are you talking about, and on which pad? This is already the case for most pads.
  2. This is already the case. Once again, what are you talking about?
  3. We allow custom binds - you just have to disable input autodetect
  4. When I feel like it, when I know how to do it, it will be added. And pull requests are always welcome - which is why this is an open-source project. Sadly, not enough people seem to want to exercise that option - at all.

and make sure I can finally throw away other alternatives, which sadly work best for me now.

Well, they don’t work “best” for me at all, so I call bullshit on that because they absolutely suck for my needs - only RetroArch does it right on the stuff that matters to me - which is impeccable audio/video sync. These are arcade games - getting this stuff even a millisecond wrong ruins the entire deal - that’s how mission critical this is. And only RetroArch pulls it off right now properly on Android.

I will admit that our FBA stuff has some stuff that is broken right now (savestates and I guess DIP switches/regions) - it will one day be fixed once we know how to do it. But really - there are over 24/25 cores in RetroArch - use whatever else you want in the meantime - I don’t like giving me this kind of “lip” just because you are less than satisfied about one particular core when we already offer way too much for absolutely no cost already.

Are you testing all this stuff on a Ouya?

I don’t have a Ouya. Until one arrives on ToadKing’s end and my end, these issues will be there.

Why don’t you use the Playstation button for RAUI ? I just don’t get it. So default controllers are terrible, and custom binds are still not working …

Huh? Must be some stupid Ouya key intercept thing because the PS button is indeed mapped to menu toggle everywhere else for PS3 pad.

Same goes for the issues with your “Select” button.

I don’t have a Ouya. Until one arrives on ToadKing’s end and my end, these issues will be there.

Why don’t you use the Playstation button for RAUI ? I just don’t get it. So default controllers are terrible, and custom binds are still not working …

Huh? Must be some stupid Ouya key intercept thing because the PS button is indeed mapped to menu toggle everywhere else for PS3 pad.

Same goes for the issues with your “Select” button.[/quote]

Yes, I am testing all of this on a crappy Ouya, and this thing is depressing. Was about to pull the trigger on a Shield, but knowing even this beast can’t run special SFC chip games at 60 FPS … And this is not even the accurate core from Byuu :slight_smile:

Guess I will have to wait until the Ouya 3 with a Tegra 5 then.

Please send me a message in private, let’s see if Santa Claus can do something to get you a crappy small box. :slight_smile:

You are right on this one. Trying to run a neogeo or CP3 game, on any other alternative for more than 10 mn will result in crazy stuttering issues, with FPS going between 53 and 65. So RA is doing a great job on that, definitely. I agree that constant FPS is #1 priority with non corrupted graphics, and accuracy when it comes to play in “proper” conditions.

Same goes for the issues with your “Select” button.[/quote]

Yes, I am testing all of this on a crappy Ouya, and this thing is depressing. Was about to pull the trigger on a Shield, but knowing even this beast can’t run special SFC chip games at 60 FPS … And this is not even the accurate core from Byuu :slight_smile:

Guess I will have to wait until the Ouya 3 with a Tegra 5 then.

Please send me a message in private, let’s see if Santa Claus can do something to get you a crappy small box. :)[/quote]

Somebody has sent a Ouya package over already and given me a tracking number. I will wait until that one arrives. If it doesn’t, I might take you up on your offer.

ToadKing is already covered as well (hopefully).

Where do I put the samples for Mame ?

Thanks,

Retro

This is hardly a big issue, and I’m sure it’s device specific [2013 Nexus 7], but I’m noticing a significant hit in performance using Snes9x and Snes9Next when I’m using the headphone//line out with threaded video off. Usually it plays fine; no frameskip, only rarely a slight audio pop. When headphones or ext. speakers are plugged in, performance will crawl to about half speed; music and gameplay. When you remove them, it goes back to normal…

The other cores seem unaffected… When I turn threaded video on, this goes away. It seems like only the Snes cores suffer from this and only with threaded video off…

The Nexus 4 doesn’t behave like this, again, it seems like it’s a Nexus 7 problem

We no longer recommend that you turn threaded video off on Android. On iOS you can get away with static syncing but Android just has too inconsistent runtime performance to really guarantee any kind of consistent performance with static syncing.

Also - PCSX ReARMEd with threaded video would also exhibit problems - Chrono Cross for instance.

So - long story short - just leave it on - on Android, threaded video with adaptive jitter seems absolutely necessary.

Yeah, but except for a few quirks (like the line out issue) threaded video off runs great on the Nexus 7, and that slight stutter/jitter with threaded video on irks me. Unfortunately for me, I can tell the difference between flawless emulation and near- flawless. :frowning:

On a separate note, am I better off overclocking the CPU or the GPU to get a performance increase from 2d games? GPU for shader performance, even on 2d games (FBA and SNES)?

um if you notice the difference between flawless and near flawless emulation and it bugs you, then why aren’t you using bsnes on a high end system? Snes9x is anything but flawless(not to say its bad). Perfection comes at a high price.

Because I don’t have/want/need a high end PC, and I have a SNES with a flash cart hooked up to a 35" CRT…

Trust me, I’m completely happy with the emulation on a Nexus 7; all I said was I prefer threaded video off…

Well maybe not high end, but you know… just trying to wrap my head around your statement is all. In any case congratulations on your sweet SNES setup.