RetroArch Android releases (v1.0.0.2)

@Fakk2 You seem to be mistaking the fact that just because the hardware is older than something newer that’s been emulated that should make it easier to emulate. As you must know the Sega Saturn is a bitch to emulate at low clock speeds, yet we have PSP emulation running near full speeds, we have PS1 emulation but not Atari Jaguar on Android. Even Amiga OCS from 1985 isn’t 100% emulated… 32x is still crap on Tegra 3 devices, it’s only decent on my Tegra 4 nvidia shield…so stop complaining like a 12 year old and play the games it can run.

Be nice.

You need to root your Xperia Play, and then use any root-enabled browser to access the files. If you pan back maybe 10 pages or so there is info on it. You can cull some doubled-up cores and get maybe 5 or 10 MB, after that you have to cut shit you’ll miss. Mame is over 25mb IIRC. If you root make sure to get rid of all the horrible gameloft bloatware on your phone before you start thinking about deleting emulation cores.

If you want to say “fuck off” to anyone it should be Sony for giving our phone a lousy screen, laughably horrible internal memory, lousy bloatware, plastic-fantastic styling, a processor that was outdated at launch, and then abandoning its user base on top of everything else. I still use mine daily as my phone and love it for what it is, but Sony dropped the ball in so many ways. In many ways I have developed a very bad taste in my mouth for Sony. It is -wonderful- to have a built in, comfortable gamepad in your phone, but it was still uncompetitive at launch by every standard outside of this niche.

Some part of me would definitely like some kind of speed hack behind the scenes stuff to make things run smoothly on our dinosaurs, but I respect the purity of the Retroarch project, and apparently implementing it would be no small task as people who know far more about this than me have detailed.

I sent Retroarch an XP today to test on, so we can look forward to better times as users of the awesomely-outdated Xperia Play.

[quote=“Charliedontsurf”]

Be nice.

You need to root your Xperia Play, and then use any root-enabled browser to access the files. If you pan back maybe 10 pages or so there is info on it. You can cull some doubled-up cores and get maybe 5 or 10 MB, after that you have to cut shit you’ll miss. Mame is over 25mb IIRC. If you root make sure to get rid of all the horrible gameloft bloatware on your phone before you start thinking about deleting emulation cores.

If you want to say “fuck off” to anyone it should be Sony for giving our phone a lousy screen, laughably horrible internal memory, lousy bloatware, plastic-fantastic styling, a processor that was outdated at launch, and then abandoning its user base on top of everything else. I still use mine daily as my phone and love it for what it is, but Sony dropped the ball in so many ways. In many ways I have developed a very bad taste in my mouth for Sony. It is -wonderful- to have a built in, comfortable gamepad in your phone, but it was still uncompetitive at launch by every standard outside of this niche.

Some part of me would definitely like some kind of speed hack behind the scenes stuff to make things run smoothly on our dinosaurs, but I respect the purity of the Retroarch project, and apparently implementing it would be no small task as people who know far more about this than me have detailed.

I sent Retroarch an XP today to test on, so we can look forward to better times as users of the awesomely-outdated Xperia Play.[/quote]

Umm, if you read my posts you would know my XP is rooted already, bloatware removed, everything transferred to SD card, unlocked bootloader, running DooMKerneL @2Ghz without an issue… and I own many apps for it that run perfectly at 2Ghz or even at 1-1.5Ghz. I’m trying to get the cores deleted using SDmaid Pro and it keeps telling me I need to be rooted to delete them, permission denied. Yet the phone is indeed rooted, SDMaid even states it is rooted on the main screen. lol That’s why I’m confused here.

Also, when I tell people fuck off and kiss my ass you must understand it’s all in fun humor. I am from the Neo-Geo.com forums and we have the freedom to talk however we want and thats how we have fun sometimes. It’s all just for shits and giggles. Let me introduce myself here, my name is Jeramy Wehunt. I go by the name Fakk2 or Fakk28 on many message boards. I am a bit crude and silly as bat shit, but it’s all in good humor. I am well known for cracking the protection schemes on anti modchip PSOne games from back in the day, and for cracking the protection schemes on all Neo-Geo CDs. Many people know me as a hardcore Neo-Geo and LaserActive collector and have been into the gaming scene for a very long time and used to have my own website dedicated to emulation for about 4 years from 1999 to 2003. You will get used to me eventually, so when I curse and act silly just know it’s a part of my attitude and everyone gets used to it eventually. This goes for everyone here reading this. Don’t get offended at my rants and raves. It’s just bullshit. Live life, have fun and if others don’t like it well…fuck it. :smiley:

So anyway thanks for your suggestions and thanks Hunterk for yours as well.

@jaycee “32x is still crap on Tegra 3 devices, it’s only decent on my Tegra 4 nvidia shield…so stop complaining like a 12 year old and play the games it can run.” All I know is the 32x ran perfectly on my old ancient PC from years before the Xperia Play came out using Kega Fusion, so I figured it should runn good by now on the android. Shoot my ass if it doesn’t. lol Also you mention Sega Saturn being a bitch to emulate… but again I’m not arguing that with you. I’m talking about Sega 32x which has been emulated ages ago on Kega Fusion (IIRC). We aren’t fucking talking about 3DO and Saturn so why mention that shit? :smiley: Also, complaining is a good thing. If nobody ever complained, then nothing would move forward. If everyone was contented with their Xperia Play then we would never have overclocked it to run twice the speed, nobody would have removed the bloatware, nobody would care to unlock the bootloader on the r800x and nobody would be running custom kernels. Complaining and bitching is what compels companies to improve on their products. So you go ahead and be contented with everything in life while the rest of us bitch and moan like 12 year olds.

@AndresSM “Also I tried MS7 on my Xperia T and it’s nowhere near 100% at 0 frameskip so that’s just bs…”

lol, well you can think what you want. I beat Metal Slug 7 last night running the game at 2Ghz on Xperia Play from start to finish at 0 frameskip and the entire time the counter at the top was 100% and the game ran smooth as silk besides a few hiccups from time to time. Considering that DraStic is brand new still is amazing.

Complaining and bitching is what compels companies to improve on their products. So you go ahead and be contented with everything in life while the rest of us bitch and moan like 12 year olds.

And herein lies the crux of the problem and the major difference -

I am not running a company here.

Neither is maister.

So you’ve got your analogies a bit mixed up because you are so used to payware like Drastic where you - the customer - thinks that by shouting and being obnoxious and being entitled and all that, that this kind of behavior will in some way be rewarded by us doing things because you can offer us this currency called money in order to give us an incentive to do whatever it is you want us to do.

But see, all of that flies right out of the window due to the fact we are not some stupid payware project like Drastic. With projects like this, acting like a jackass in this way will not produce the kind of results you are after.

As for the rest of the post, I don’t know where to begin so that is why I won’t. It’s all a mix of entitlement and ignorance with a dash of arrogance added to it so it isn’t something I feel like dignifying with a response.

Then kiss my ass, lol If you don’t like negative comments from people and only want praises from people then good luck in your venture. :smiley:

What you are doing cannot be confused with constructive criticism - it is acting like a jackass.

Any other forum run by any other moderator - you would have been banned already.

Hell, I have specifically told and reminded hunterk three times already not to ban you and to just let you run your mouth - and to NOT delete your posts.

You won’t find any other nut willing to protect the speech of those who go out of their way to act like a jackass.

Well actually there is quite some room for performance improvement for 32X, but I’m currently focusing on fixing bugs and compatibility first. It doesn’t make sense optimizing bugged code, does it?

It would help if you listed games that are too slow for you (and fps counts maybe to see how much more it needs). Just FYI pandora (1GHz Cortex A8) can run all games fullspeed with no frameskip (well except Cosmic Carnage/Cyber Brawl which triggers deficiency in recompiler, and some other game I forgot), and A8 is slower than Scorpion on Play, so you are slowed down badly by Android OS and phone stuff running in background.

I will be able to determine for myself when the Xperia Play arrives what the runtime performance of Picodrive on it is when running 32X games. Most of the time what lets RetroArch Android down is crappy audio/video drivers on the Android side.

Case in point - the Google Play Edition ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4 is a LOT better than either Samsung’s stock ROM or Cyanogenmod when it comes to audio/video latency, and it makes a world of difference when you use this ROM vs. those other ones. These are issues really that are outside of our control - it is up to vendors to do a good job on the audio/video driver front. It doesn’t help that both Samsung and HTC insist on adding their own baggage to Android by way of either TouchWiz or HTC Sense - and these do waste clock cycles like no tomorrow even when you wouldn’t expect it.

I am not expecting great things out of a Sony-branded variant of Android 2.3 and a single-core Cortex A9 CPU (and to top it all off - a device three years old) considering how bad my experiences have been with a single-core Cortex A8 tablet running Android 4.0 (runtime performance was equivalent to a Gamecube) - but who knows - perhaps I am pleasantly surprised.

The Verizon Xperia Play had a mostly stock Android OS. The other versions used whatever Sony called their launcher or skin or whatever at the time. I wonder if that phone would be the better choice if you were to buy it specifically to game and not care about which carrier it is on. I wonder which phone you are getting?

www.Neo-Geo.com go to forums and check it out. We all talk however we want to, and nobody bans us for saying anything. That’s how a real website is run.

But thanks anyway. If you want to ban me go ahead, if not then that’s cool too. I’m going to try hunterk’s ES File Explorer and see how that works out for me. :smiley: All I want are the 2 cores working. Thanks.

Also, when running the x play that you get make sure you unlock the bootloader and install a good rom on it like DooMKerneL along with setcpu so you can test it out overclocked. I own 5 X plays and some will only OC to 1.8ghz, one of them goes to 1.9ghz and 2 will run at 2ghz no problems. It’s nice to see it running at a faster speed, and get rid of bloatware while your at it. :smiley: Anyways, have a good time with your dinosaur that we love to use. I have let a ton of people try my Xperia Play and all of them like gaming on it better than any other cellphone on this planet due to the controller. :wink: Oh and all my XPlays are Verizon branded r800x models.

Also, the phone came out May 2011. It’s not really 3 years old. :smiley:

Interesting to know. I will let you know whats running slow on 32x and such after some testing tonight. The only games I’m really wanting to play right now are Space Harrier and Knuckles Chaotix…and yes I do understand that fixing bugs is more important. Thank you for your reply and I look forward to your later improvements on the 32x core.

no comment about all the discussion above, all this does not interest me.

But if you want only 2 cores and if you have a rooted device you can use adb shell , type su and then “rm” the core you don’t want in /data/data/org.retroarch/lib/

http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=600

no comment about all the discussion above, all this does not interest me.

But if you want only 2 cores and if you have a rooted device you can use adb shell , type su and then “rm” the core you don’t want in /data/data/org.retroarch/lib/

http://forum.themaister.net/viewtopic.php?id=600[/quote]

Thank you, I will give that a shot later as well. :slight_smile:

First and foremost, I want to say thanks for adding Stella. A friend of mine had given me a copy of Ataroid, and what can I say, it was a total PoS. It’s good to finally have a quality 2600 emulator, because the urge to play Pitfall can strike anywhere, at any time, and without warning :wink:

However, I’m having an issue with buttons being swapped when I try to let it auto-detect my PS3 controller. O and X are Triangle and Square, and vice versa. It’s like the “rows” are swapped. I noticed you said you fixed PS3 controller detection in one of the updates, but it still looks like there’s a problem. I made sure I’m running the latest version of Sixaxis. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling. The buttons are swapped, forcing me to remap them. Not that it’s that much trouble, but I lose the emulator settings menu on the home button when I do that.

For the record, I’m using an HP Touchpad with Oat’s LnT 4.1 (which has since been deleted, and I don’t get why, because 4.2 versions of CM have bluetooth issues, oh well, I’m sure they’ll get it sorted eventually). I know, I’m using a discontinued device, it’s outdated, etc., but it’s hard to beat the bang for the buck (and once rooted and overclocked, most games play very well on it). I also like the fact that it’s one of the few tablets with stereo speakers built in.

Actually, I also own a Cowon Z2, though I’ve all but given up on getting Sixaxis controllers working on Gingerbread (still, if there’s any way you could pull it off, it would be nice, since it has a micro HDMI port, and the games I have played on it so far sound great thanks to JetEffect).

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work and dedication, and in the case of this port, keeping people honest. Because it seems like almost everyone else on the Android market is out to rip you off trying to sell you things that have always been free on every other OS that exists (with the notable exception of Ghisler, who is not charging for Total Commander, and his is one of the few apps that would be worth a purchase). The emulator part of the Android market is by far the shadiest though. VGB and iNES? Yeah, those used to be the best emulators for their respective platforms… in 1996! ROFLMFAO! So, thanks again for putting these con artists in their place.

Thanks to some informative posts and a lot of messing about I was finally able to change the emu around to be the way I like it. I now have my 32x Emulator. Cool! One question so I can test out all the 32x games is, how can I turn on the FPS counter on this emulator so I can see how many frames per second I’m getting? I can obviously tell BC Racers is getting proper speed, and so are a few others but Virtual Fighter among others aren’t and it would be nice to see what FPS I get on them all. Thanks again.

Your Xperia Play will not run Virtua Fighter 32X at fullspeed right now. Virtua Fighter is one of the most demanding 32X games on Picodrive - not even an iPad 2/Mini reaches fullspeed on that one so your Xperia Play has no chance. Bring a Galaxy S3/S4 or Shield to the table and you can handle it just fine.

Also, there is no FPS counter right now in the Android port.

Hey guys, are you gonna make the accept/cancel buttons uniform across the Rgui and the Android menu? It drove some drunken friends playing the Shield up the wall last night, with lots of laughter and cursing. Mostly laughter, due to the autosave/autoload feature.

With the ROM GIN2JELLYBEAN 2.4 and KERNEL LUPUS V12 and OVERCLOCK 1,4ghz VIRTUA FIGHTER 32X FULL SPEED.

Ok, I’m finally trying to setup Final Burn Alpha. I read somewhere that MAME romset 0.1.47 would work with the build that’s currently in retroarch. I downloaded this romset and tested select roms in Retroarch. I found this to be true, they do work. But I don’t want to put the entire 25GB MAME romset on a on a sd card. Is there a way I can quickly filter out every game in my 0.147 folder that won’t work in Final Burn? I have another folder that has the whole but older version of a Final Burn romset but problem is they are all 7z files and they don’t work. Is there an application that will allow me to match the names of the MAME 0.147 folder against the names of the older 7z Final Burn folder and filter them that way? Thanks! I really don’t want to cherry pick working FBA roms out of the MAME folder. lol

Download a rom manager like clrmamepro (the portable/zip version will do) http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/

Get the rom manager DAT file zip for FBA v0.2.97.08 http://www.logiqx.com/Dats/FinalBurnAlpha/

Place the DAT file within the extracted clrmamepro ‘datfiles’ subfolder

Load the profile with defaults. When rebuilding, point the source to your 0.147 mame roms, and set your preferred destination directory (different to the source of course) > click Rebuild!.

Google ‘clrmamepro tutorial’ for more detailed assistance.

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting the Google Nexus 7" 2013 (released a couple of weeks ago I think) and was wondering if anyone has one and how performance is for RA on it? I would like to use connected to the tv with 2 Dualshock 3s. Seems like a reasonably priced tablet for what I want it for, web browsing/email, Youtube, reading pdfs and RA.