RetroArch Community Playlists

New playlist: Taito arcade games for FBneo, this was a big one with 201 entries! I followed this wiki starting from Space Invaders. I left out some titles : for example few Toaplan games are listed but I will add those in a future Toaplan list!

1 Like

Up. Thank you! Taito was something else putting out lot of games. As you said earlier, the FB Neo list is pretty full featured (besides 3d and so on).

Note: If you want me to make changes to descriptions of any of the lists, you are welcome, I’ll adapt then. In example certain wording or adding information. If not, that’s fine, just want to make sure you know this can be done quickly.

1 Like

I think the descriptions are fine!

Just this last one says Namco instead of Taito :nerd_face:

All Namco Arcade games for FBNeo. Based on the listing at Wikipedia: List of Taito games as a reference, starting from Space Invaders. Some titles are left out, in example few Toaplan games.

1 Like

Oh lol, see, its not fine. :wink: Good eye!

1 Like

New playlist: Golden Age, based on Golden age of arcade video games. It’s exactly 50 games in this list, but unfortunately some listed classics from the article are missing, such as Wizard of Wor and Paperboy. But still interesting list to go through and to remind one to try these classics.

1 Like

Great idea and nice list! going to import it!

most the missing games are on mame do you still have the playlist lying around?

Yes, still have it. Forgot who made it, I should have known it. :smiley: Need to check again for newest entries; list didn’t got much love in its later days. I’ll upload it later with you as credit (and me as secondary) and link to the post. Then you can have a look if its correct and changes can be made accordingly.

Edit: Okay, we have our first MAME playlist to complement FBNeo.

1 Like

4 new Fbneo playlists

Those are the wiki reference that I used:

Jaleco

Toaplan

Irem

Data East

This how they look on my side :nerd_face:

1 Like

Up, Up, Up, Up!!! Thanks again for going through this. Now it starts to look like something.

Nice setup. I totally forgot we can have custom icons for the playlists. This is something I did not do yet. Maybe we could upload these images to the same directory as the playlists too?

I think would be nice, not sure if there are any problems on sharing them (I didn’t do the graphics from scratch) but thos are the ones that I currently use. The content icon comes directly from the “retrosystem” icon set: I just renamed it.

I made them quickly (and roughly) yesterday and I might re-do them later on.

1 Like

The Beat Em Up image is funny. :smiley: I didn’t think about the license though, as putting the images there would have the Public Domain like license attached to it. You are right, if we want stay clean, this might complicate things. Maybe its not a good idea at all (for now) and we should stay focused on the lists itself until we figure out something and if we need it at all.

1 Like

I just updated the icons in a more homogenous form, it’s still a rough job but at least now they are all 256x256 :nerd_face:

1 Like

Nice! Looks cohesive now like a unique set, because … it is a unique set. Hmm, I’m not sure if we should add the icons now, because they introduce some complexity and the need for more explanation (we really need some kind of gui app for this…). Maybe not a requirement and only for those we create for? One problem with this approach is, that over time we could end up with vastly different style of icons from different creators. Not a real problem off course, but something to consider.

Maybe we could introduce icon packs to download on their own as a zip archive? Like a theme. Or we have a downloadable template to create those. Or I am overthinking this again.

Yeah, not really sure how to handle this, maybe it’s okay to just share them here or if someone request them.

2 playlist, one is a collection of the best and classics Platformers & Run’n Gun games according o me :nerd_face:.

The other one is a Konami playlist, at first I was thinking of splitting decades but in the end wasn’t worth, so I merged them together (like the other list that I did), if it’s ok for you, you can replace the previous Konami 80s with this one. this is the reference that I used

Also, if anybody is interested, those are my genre icons, I went with a simple color coding to differentiate developers list from genre lists.

1 Like

Up, up… off course! So the 80s is replaced.

I’m actually personally very interested into the selection of platformers, because that is something I wanted do today too (but had not time for). You obviously read my mind and did that for me, thank you! This is currently my favorite list to explore, BTW. Edit: I see you have chelnov twice. The localized version is different? I only played the World version years ago, to get highest scores. :slight_smile:

Good idea and touch with the color coding. This actually adds usability value, other than for esthetics.

that’s a mistake! :sweat_smile:

Please, If you can, delete the Jap entry chelnovj.zip

Deleting Jap entries of chelnovj.zip are my specialties. You can see the change history here: Commits. Sometimes a change includes adding 3 whole new playlists at once, sometimes its just adding a Wikipedia link in a readme, that I forgot. (Initially I just wanted confirm and say “okay”, but short messages are not allowed, so I am here inventing more and more words.)

1 Like

2 new playlists: Single Screen & Puzzle and Top Down Run’n Gun

Iconset: including the 2 new playlists and Golden Age

1 Like

Up and Upper. Nice, there is lot of variations and themes now.

I currently wonder if splitting the lists up further makes sense, like Arcade/Genre and Arcade/Company. But then what about lists not matching these categories? We would introduce more and more random subcategories this way. Or do you think this makes it unnecessary adding more structure? Because this would lose the ability to see all in one listing. If there is no need in your opinion, we can just leave it the way it is right now and continue for now and see how to act when its necessary.

1 Like