RetroArch iOS release (v1.0.0.1)

I just wanted to say thank you for porting Mupen64. I’ve been having a blast playing Zelda: Ocarina of Time on my 5s. Only glitches I’ve seen are some flickering shadows/grass textures and in-game saves not over-writing. For an initial release I am blown away. Thanks for your dedication to this project and developing it for iOS.

No one is accusing you of lying or spreading the wrong information. I’m sure what you say is quite true. I take it that you have an iphone 5 or an iphone 4s?? Through a few other user’s posts and feedback regarding this issue, it appears that even on on ios7, BTstack as well as using the ps3 controller is working/have worked on retroarch 0.9.9.6; as well as other emulators. That is, when used with an older device (iphone 5 and down, ipad 4 and down). That’s probably because BTstack was already compatible with those devices on the ios6 jailbreak. However, now we have a new jailbreak as well as new A7 devices (iphone 5s/ipad air/ipad mini w retina). BTstack may be working on your device (even on ios7), but it isn’t working for any of the new devices nor has it been officially updated for ios7 and A7 64bit compatibility. On one of squarepusher’s post, it’s confirmed he has an ipad mini w/ retina display. Guess what? BTstack or using a ps3 controller on Retroarch (0.9.9.6 & 1.0) isn’t working for him either. That’s because BTstack isn’t yet compatible with A7 device, and until it gets properly updated and pushed through, not even the devs can test this on their new devices. So perhaps the cause is very well Retroarch 1.0, but do you really think devs for retroarch are going to push an update that addresses the issue and fixes it for JUST the people with older devices? If I had to guess, the answer would be ‘no’. Until BTstack gets updated for full compatibility with all devices, don’t expect an official update to retroarch 1.0 that fixes any controller issues (especially the ps3 controller). Why please some when you can please all?

Anyways, for now you’re stuck using a keyboard, a icade controller, or a controller that can use icade or keyboard mode. I’m patiently waiting until I can use a ps3 controller on my iphone 5s/ipad air as well. All we can do is wait and give the devs of BTstack and retroarch some time to do their thang…

Also here’s an option for you while you’re waiting, if you want to use your ps3 controller, why not uninstall Retroarch 1.0, and install the 0.9.9.7 build ipa meancoot provided on page 25? It too has the mupen64plus core, and I provided instructions on installing it a few posts down. You could also ask the devs to provide Retroarch 0.9.9.6 in their cydia source along with 1.0. Ask nicely, and perhaps they might just do it; maybe…lol

Hey, first of all, thanks for your effort for porting these awesome emulators.

There are some bugs in the Mupen64 (and I understand, it’s the first version), but I just want to report what I experienced:

1 - when you change the overlay to another one, the screen goes all black. 2 - when you set the resolution to 1280x960, save the state, change the resolution again to 640x480 or 320x240, and the load the saved state, the screen will gets smaller, like half of the device screen (it’s supposed to be fullscreen, right?). 3 - I tried playing Smash Bros, it was really lag, then I tried to change to the Rice plugin, but no good, crash all the time, so I had to remove the configuration file to restore to default settings.

Is there any way to set to Rice plugin without crashing the application?

My Device: iPad 2 - Wifi 16GB

Thanks!

EDIT: btw, I loved the PCSX Rearmed Enhanced Graphics option! :smiley:

IIRC, to use Rice, you’ll need to put this in your ‘system’ directory: https://raw.github.com/libretro/mupen64 … oLinux.ini

I tried that, but still not working.

Am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess by “system” you were refering to the .Retroarch folder. Sorry! Now it seams to work!

Smash Brosd is still lagging a lot, maybe is the iPad 2 that is not powerful enough? :frowning:

Just checked Smash Bros, it works smoothly on iPad 4. But on iPhone 4S there are no backgrounds and gameplay is bit laggy.

Do you need a jailbreak to run the N64 Mupen64Plus core? Does it use a dynarec? Or can I just use a developer account?

Thanks

I guess you have 3 options to choose from.

• dynamic_recompiler
  • cached_interpreter
  • pure_interpreter

Ok so I wanted to test the N64 emulator on my IOS7 4S and downloaded 3 games to test

Paper Mario

Megaman 64

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Here is what happened thus far

Paper Mario: Stars running fine, but audio is skipy/glitchy but video is smooth up until I have to make a save file. (what happens is in game, a window appears with 4 save slot files and here is when the game start to lag to the point that it is unplayable. The window comes from the right side of the screen and, as if using a swiping motion populates the main screen or is centered. The moment the screen appears from the right side the game drastically slows down, as if it is loading this window. Not sure how else to explain it.) Once the window is fully loaded (about 30 seconds) the game resumes to normal speed and is playable again.

To start a game, you must enter your name via the SAVE file (1,2,3,4) When I click to start a save file the game drastically starts to slow down as before. Again not sure what or why this occurs. (I have not changed any default settings withing the EMU, mostly because I have no idea what must be changed or how to configure anything within retroarch) Once the screen loads it just asks me to input my name and after I click OK to continue, yup you guessed it, the window tries to leave stage right but drastically slows down once again.

After this I load the game and the intro video starts and is visually fine, however the sounds crackle a bit and are slightly glitched.

I stopped here because It was just a bit too much lol

Megaman 64: OK so this game is a childhood favorite of mine, many people didn’t enjoy it but whatever, onward with my experience.

Game loads fine and the dialog starts out crisp and clear and the video as well, the words populate from bottom to top of the screen ( as most games do in this fashion) but after the wording gets literally half way from the bottom ( center screen ) the audio starts to crackle and slow a bit.

I skip through the into after this point because it continues to do the same thing.

The intro screen runs completely fine, even the little background sprites move flawlessly ( and there are points were many are on screen at once) I can start a new game, continue and options fine. No slowing down.

Once I start a new game the Cut scene that appears next is visually fine, but the audio is slow and crackles.

I skip this

Game play is odd. This game is a 3D game ( like Mario 64 ) and from some angles the game play is smooth and from others it begins to slow down. turning the 3rd camera usually slows down and actual movement is fine most of the time. Audio in game is also glitchy and crackles. (a problem i think all my games may unfortunately have)

buttons work fine and game play is possible once encountering enemy’s.

I stop here.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

I was excited to be able to see this game on my phone. The joy it brings knowing this game got me into the Zelda franchise. :slight_smile: here we go.

Game loads fine, and the intro starts out beautifully, however, after a few seconds (once you see link riding) the audio starts doing its thing again. Glitchy and crackles. (I expect this)

As like mega man some parts of the game run fine and other angles slow down the game. Im guessing the open world aspect of N64 games is hard to manage for emulators.

UPDATE: When Link uses 1st person view (pressing ^c) the game is perfect! Sound visual everything. I even went to links house and went to 1st person view and saw all of the Kikori Forest ( the starting town ) and the emulator rendered everything perfectly. Although I wasnt able to move it was so awesome to see the emulator run with no flaws. Not sure if this helps on figure out anything else, but Im guessing the emu has trouble rendering 3D elements in the games I chose to play, I think I would have all the same issues with Mario 64 as I have had with Zelda and Megaman64

I stopped after getting Links sword.

Well that’s it so far, if anyone can tell me if there is a way to fix the audio issue please let me know so I can clean it up to run as smooth as possible! thx for reading

UPDATE: So I tried to continue playing paper Mario to see how far I could go I loaded a save state (past the save files) and The intro cut scene to the game starts A little flying koopa drops in to give me mail As Luigi come out of Mario’s house to grab The mail, the game crashed! It was running Well enough. So no clue what happened

I cant get Super Mario 64 to work. The d-pad dont register when you touch it. All other things works fine. Anyone know what to do?

What overlay do you use? You should try n64, not nes.

What overlay do you use? You should try n64, not nes.[/quote] Thank you. It works perfectly.

The Paper Mario crash is known about - possibly a dynarec issue with iOS.

With regards to the rest of your post - it can all be summarized as - your iPhone 4S is too slow to run most games fullpeed with Glide64. Try a less accurate plugin such as Rice or glN64 instead.

http://libretro.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=10710#p10710 Maybe someone find it useful.

There are a few Apple MFI certified controllers available, such as the Logitech Powershell and the Moga Ace Power that you connect your iphone 5/5S/ipod touch 5th gen into. There’s also the SteelSeries Stratus, which connects via bluetooth (for all ios7 devices) and is coming out pretty soon.

I don’t have any of these devices, so my question is, is RetroArch (if not, will it ever be updated to) able to pick up the inputs of these controllers? Seeing as how the steelseries stratus connects via bluetooth, will Retroarch see the devices as, lets say, a bluetooth keyboard? Which will then perhaps allow you to map your buttons? Would Retroarch first have to be updated to support apple’s ios7 controller functionality before any of the current (or future) ios7 apple certified controllers can be used?

Any news on an update to get the PS3 controller working? I know you guys have a lot on at the moment, but really looking forward to this!

For iOS 7 users and especially those on A7 devices, not until BTstack gets updated and pushed out for full iOS 7 and A7 compatibility. This is done by a different dev not related to the retroarch project. You can hit him up on twitter or just see if he’s announced any updates on it-@mringwal

For iOS 7 users and especially those on A7 devices, not until BTstack gets updated and pushed out for full iOS 7 and A7 compatibility. This is done by a different dev not related to the retroarch project. You can hit him up on twitter or just see if he’s announced any updates on it-@mringwal[/quote]

I’m on 6.1.3 and since installing version 1 am not able to use PS3 controller then reverted back to 9.9.6 (previous version) and it’s working again.

The team have already previously acknowledged it’s an issue and VIA github have been testing a fixed version. Though I don’t know if they are planning in releasing it yet and if it’s 100% working - this is what I was referring to.

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/c … af0b7782e9

Therefore I suspect ?? It’s not completely IOS 7 related anyway.

Ah, I see. So you’re currently using 9.9.6…we’re you perhaps interested in using the mupen64 core?

Ah, I see. So you’re currently using 9.9.6…we’re you perhaps interested in using the mupen64 core?[/quote]

Yeah. I’m sure the team are working on multiple things including mupen64 since release and will release an update soon, hopefully once BTstack is released for IOS 7 too.

I was just hoping…