RetroArch PS3 releases (v1.0.0.2)

Tyrquake core will not play quake mission packs Rogue or Hipnotic. I have tried many different ways to get this to work. The documentation says it should work but it does not. I have normal quake working(full game not the demo). I have the rogue and hipnotic missions in folders of the same name when I try to load the pak files from either of these missions it returns to xmb. Similar problems on retroarch wii and original xbox. Cannot run retroarch pc since last update it will not work on my laptop.

There is no problem with my quake version or mission packs as they all play fine with gl-quake.

Has anybody got this working on ps3?

I have had them working fine on pre-released versions of tyrquake. I’ll have a look later to check if they still work for me.

I just tried them and they are working fine for me.

Could you please tell me your folder setup? Where your game folder is i.e internal hdd or external; the path, and the location of rogue and hipnotic pak files as well as oringinal quake pak files. Could you also tell me if your original quake pak files have copies inside the retroarch system folder? I had the idea yesterday that copying the original games data files there may be the answer. I’ve tried it on PS3, Wii, PC and Android now and I cannot get missions to play. I may try IOS later but doubt that will work either.

I have them stored on a USB drive.

The expansions have to be placed in folders named “hypnotic” and “rogue” inside the folder containing your Quake PAK files

Mine are stored as the following:

\DEV_USB006\ROMS\QUAKE\ - Main Quake files \DEV_USB006\ROMS\QUAKE\hypnotic\ - Hypnotic expansion files \DEV_USB006\ROMS\QUAKE\rogue\ - Rogue expansion files

I’m pretty sure the expansions folder names are case sensitive.

The SYSTEM folder is where you place any required BIOS ROMs (eg Sega CD, PCE)

Thanks I’ll try it with all lower case (my folder structure is the same as yours but lower case is the only difference). I’d thought that putting the Original pak files in the system folder might work because retroarch looks there for required files like bios’s etc. And to run mission packs the original quake pak files are Required Files.

Also can you please confirm the case (upper or Lower) for all your pak files?

All of the PAK files are uppercase :slight_smile:

Thanks pete_uk the lower case folders and upper case pak files was exactly what it needed :). I know what I’ll be playing later tonight when I get home from the pub. Awesome!!

Thanks for the saves, this bug should be fixed in the next release.

Yeah, Toad King fixed it. Should be in the next point release.

Thanks for the saves, this bug should be fixed in the next release.[/quote]

Well, I should be thanking you and SquareMaister for taking note and fixing the bug and speaking of Cave Story, (just a hint) there’s a Save Editor that will help out with the debugging side of things should one not be able to provide the game save so you can easily pick out certain scenarios that a user claims to be buggy and see if it is buggy as the user said. :slight_smile:

Question about possible bug.

When using FB alpha core on my PS3 rebug 4.41.2 console, noticed couple of glitches.

-Golden Axe screams are distorted, high pitched. -Shinobi voice absent all together.

Told by some in other forums that Golden Axe worked fine on lower CFWs. In any case, is there a fix I can look into? Or will this be fixed in a future update that takes into account the +4.40 custom firmwares?

Will that new mame core that eventually is supposed to come out maybe address these concerns? will that mame core ever be released?

again, might just be possible bug but curious about this glitchiness regarding the game on my console. THANX!

FBA is horribly inaccurate for any '80s to early '90s games other than Capcom CPS1/2/3, NeoGeo and Cave/Toaplan shooters - not to mention system requirements are through the roof compared to MAME 0.78.

MAME 0.78 is way faster and far more accurate with games like Chase HQ, Caveman Ninja, Afterburner, Double Dragon, Contra et al. Chase HQ on FBA is insanely resource intensive to the point where it doesn’t run fullspeed on a PS3 and you get 49-50fps. On MAME 0.78 however - Chase HQ runs way above fullspeed on even an iPad Mini. The same thing with Ninja Warriors and Darius 1/2 games (which used 3 monitors) - unplayable on FBA (runs at like 20 to 25fps on PS3) - while totally fullspeed on iPad Mini with MAME 0.78 (for the record - single-core performance of an Apple A5 [iPad Mini/iPad 2] is like a little bit above a Wii CPU in real-world terms, whereas Apple A6 [iPad 4] is quite a bit faster than the PS3 CPU in terms of single-core performance).

I’ve tested Shinobi and Golden Axe on MAME 0.78 and things seem a lot better there as well (on little endian at least). I can hear the voices in Shinobi and the voices in Golden Axe don’t seem high pitched at all.

Assuming there are no showstopping endian issues, MAME 0.78 should therefore fare a lot better for '80s to early '90s games.

However, be aware that due to the PS3s CPU being a semi-PPC64 based design, there might be some issues that manifest themselves since the MAME 0.78 code isn’t really 64bit safe. Xbox 360 and Wii have PPC32-based CPUs so there is less of a problem there.

Is there a release date Retroarch (MAME 0.78) on ps3?

@ps3emulators There’s no release date for anything, usually. Things get distributed as soon as they’re ready. In the meantime, everyone is welcome to grab the source and compile it themselves.

Can one just grab this core from elsewhere and put it into PS3 and play around with it?

Is there a link to a compiled version? Alas, wish I knew how to do that. WOuld love to play around with name if the gods are willing. :wink:

I think there are ultimately still some issues happening with the MAME core that are keeping it from consoles at the moment. You’ll have to wait and see if/when those get sorted out.

Retroarch 0.9.9

it always freezes my PS3 completely when I try to load a Neogeo rom, it says “INFO - Loading (romname).zip …” then stays there forever, and nothing responds, I have to hard reboot the PS3 with power button :frowning: these roms are confirmed to be working on PC with other emulators.

‘with other emulators’ - sorry, if you didn’t test them with FBA 0.2.97.28 on PC in specific, then your ROMs are bad and that is why they don’t work.

It isn’t a problem with the FBA libretro port. You cannot expect MAME ‘insert version here’ ROMs to work on the latest FBA, and vice-versa.

Why the complete freeze though? it could at least check the rom and give some error info if needed.