RetroArch PS3 releases (v1.0.0.2)

Squarepusher, is there any chance of the PS3 version’s interface getting an overhaul to make it as pretty as the PC version’s RGUI instead of just white text on a black background?

This was answered on page 2 of the thread the last time I was here:

In other words; not yet, but there might be support for other controllers in the future.

“the usual places”? :confused: And where is that? Also, Are we takling about sourcecode or is there a “Usual place” for compiled builds?

Know that the binaries are built using Sony’s proprietary SDK, making them illegal to distribute. Know they can yet be found in the same usual place as all Xbox homebrew is known to be cataloged, and with the knowing of this your path is lit.

Know that the binaries are built using Sony’s proprietary SDK, making them illegal to distribute. Know they can yet be found in the same usual place as all Xbox homebrew is known to be cataloged, and with the knowing of this your path is lit.[/quote]

Thanks Yoda… Anyway… Is there anyone still working on the PS3 version of RetroArch?

Know that the binaries are built using Sony’s proprietary SDK, making them illegal to distribute. Know they can yet be found in the same usual place as all Xbox homebrew is known to be cataloged, and with the knowing of this your path is lit.[/quote]

Thanks Yoda… Anyway… Is there anyone still working on the PS3 version of RetroArch?[/quote]

Yes, me.

Maister has contributed a few times back in 2011 or so (PSGL video driver related) but other than that it has always been me and me alone.

Come to think of it, 2011 would be back in the PS3 standalone emulator days - before the SSNES/RetroArch transition. Maister bowed out of the PS3 scene fairly soon after it started sucking.

Thanks Yoda… Anyway… Is there anyone still working on the PS3 version of RetroArch?[/quote]

Yes, me.

Maister has contributed a few times back in 2011 or so (PSGL video driver related) but other than that it has always been me and me alone.

Come to think of it, 2011 would be back in the PS3 standalone emulator days - before the SSNES/RetroArch transition. Maister bowed out of the PS3 scene fairly soon after it started sucking.[/quote]

Care to tease a little of what you are working on for the PS3? Also, would it be possible to use the PS3’s 3d capabilities with the Mednafen VB Core in the future?

That is implying the PS3 scene was at one point in a state of not sucking, which has never been true. The PlayStation platforms seem to attract shitheads in droves so large there was never any hope even with fail0verflow on board.

That is implying the PS3 scene was at one point in a state of not sucking, which has never been true. The PlayStation platforms seem to attract shitheads in droves so large there was never any hope even with fail0verflow on board.[/quote]

True. I especially dislike the Sony fanboy audience that gathers around these jailbroken consoles/handhelds. I dunno what is wrong with them but they are just weird.

Any chance of add mame 0.78 in retroarch? I still dream of playing Mortal Kombat on PS3! Thank you!

It’s a strange dream to have seeing as it can already be done. Look for Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

I have mortal kombat arcade collection here. But what seems terrible! Done to make money on the PSN, I played mortal kombat in arcades in Brazil throughout my childhood and I know MAME version is unbeatable! Other titles like Killer instict / NBA JAM are also welcome!

Just made another test since FBalpha just got updated by captain cps-x ;

rom booting from multiman still gives a blackscreen / Freeze PS3 using retrocharch 0.9.9

I’ve read the problem is supposed to be located at multiman level, but version 04.46.01 didn’t fix this problem…

So i’m going back to retroarch 0.9.8 until this get fixed to not lose all my covers etc…

VBA Next has received some big optimizations to gfxDrawTextScreen. This pushes all games to fullspeed on PS3. So Final Fantasy 5/6 should now run at fullspeed as well (the cave still exhibits some minor speed dips though in FF5).

Advance Wars 1/2 (which previously dropped in framerate whenever big sprites had to be rendered in animation cutscenes) now run at fullspeed all the way.

Something to look forward to I guess when I’m going to push RetroArch 0.9.9.7 later this week. There’s still a lot of room for further improvement - I will try helping out bgK on rewriting the other graphics functions as well.

Deank just release a new Multiman version including this changelog :

• Changed exitspawn method (thanks to kakaroto for the suggestion) - that means that now RetroArch or other apps can be seamlessly integrated again with mM on OFW + ODDE

Will try tonight if retroarch games can be booted again from multimann

edit : this release is only for Cobra ODE…

@squarepusher

Hello!, just wanted to report a issue with latest RetroArch GIT repository. I been working on FB Alpha RL (PS3) these recent weeks and today I decided to update the RetroArch core to the latest one on GIT, but after carefully adding all my modifications to communicate with FB Alpha RL it wont launch correctly for some reason, and it is not the signing, since I am using the same signing for the previous RetroArch core and it works fine.

Apparently at some point an issue got introduced that wont let RetroArch Core to load correctly when launched from another PS3 application (ex. multiMAN, FB Alpha RL, etc)

I even tried to launch it without my modifications, just plain and simple spawn (working on previous RetroArch core too), but no luck on the latest revision.

I hope this get fixed at some point, since I like to keep the core updated with latest fixes and such.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and great work on RetroArch @squarepusher and company :slight_smile:

SeeYa! :slight_smile:

@Captain CPS-X If you have time to sit through a bunch of compiles, you can track down the exact commit using git bisect.

I gave up after some hours of trying different approaches to launch a clean RetroArch CORE.SELF from an external application, so I will stick to the previous RetroArch source code until this is properly addressed, the previous code will always work no matter if I pass dummy arguments when spawning it.

There has been so many commits since I made the RetroArch git clone, so at least for me it is very difficult to track down what is going on, so this is why I post this here so @squarepusher can check it out at some point since he is familiarized with his own code.

Btw, @squarepusher, if you confirm it tested and working somehow, I will appreciate if you let me know how can I spawn the latest RetroArch cores from external applications (PS3 of course).

Thanks.

PS: Will check if for some reason latest RetroArch is expecting some extra/new directories structures to be present as well, I remember in the past that RA froze if it didn’t find the directory structures, don’t know if this is still an issue.

SeeYa! :slight_smile:

Sorry to basically bump this thread…

@squarepusher or anyone else who wants to help:

Can you confirm if latest RetroArch git revision compiled for PS3 as CORE.SELF (for example “fb_alpha.SELF”) can be launched from an external application without issues?

I will appreciate any feedback on this, thanks.

Hi CaptainCPS-X,

please drop by on the IRC channel #retroarch (Freenode) so we can talk in real-time and debug things. It will be very hard for us to get to the bottom of this issue with forum posts.

Hey Squarepusher,

I hope all is well, Hey i was just wanting to know if there was any new official cores going to make it’s way in the next official builds of RetroArchPS3.

Stella (Atari 2600) works very well.

MAME 0.78 IMO has been the best mame port on the PS3 to this point. I was impressed with it. A bit of a pain to compile but it will compile.

Atari Jaguar core was not that bad as well (2d games), the build i have has the “blue tint” but i think rtype had a simple solution for that. If i was not mistaken

First 2 have had unofficial releases (stella & mame). Also any status on R-type’s Ports coming to the PS3 i know there was talk about it in the past but i have not heard much since.

I know you guys are down on the PS3 scene at times, but we are not all bad.:slight_smile: That guy above is great ^ (CPS-X) and i have always been there in support. Don’t forget about us hehehe… just messing. Truly hope all is well, just curious about the future plans on the PS3 side. Also good news about the GBA stuff above. :). As always great work to everyone here :slight_smile: