RetroArch PS3 releases (v1.0.0.2)

Yes I have been sitting on MAME 0.78 for far too long (more than a year in fact). Tried it just now on PS3 and with DCS speedhack on MK2/MK3/Ultimate all run at fullspeed.

The next version will come with that included. It might not take much longer to arrive - probably next week.

There will be some big changes to the interface - all the functionality from RGUI on PC will be in RetroArch PS3 now - and there will be a new option - Load Game (Detect Core) - when you select a ROM file it will look at the associated emulators and let you choose an emu to launch it with.

Sounds great.

Yea from the build i tried MK1 games played very well, overall. One thing i did notice and it seems to be on MIDWAY games only Save/Load states were not working. They worked on nearly every other games with no issues. So i think it just on midway games.

As always keep up the great work

Savestates don’t work because it’s an ancient version of MAME and they never implemented savestates for those drivers to begin with.

Current-day MAME also doesn’t have savestates implemented for every driver. So you can’t expect every game in MAME to have savestate support - regardless of which version it is.

I see, Well good news, save/load states worked on nearly everything else. Thanks for that clarification.

Hi there! I saw about a month ago you mentioned the next version of PS3 retroarch was about to come out.

Just wondering if that is still the case. :slight_smile:

Always loved your work. So I hope that didn’t sound pushy.

I had three quick questions: (A) in the next release is MAME included? (B) And I also saw “eek eek” recently optimized his core for genesis gx. Will that updated core also be released with the new revision, who develops the PS3 core? I ask because I was hoping one of these days there might be light gun support (at least a crosshair, or something) so that Master System games with the light gun could be playable,etc. © is the new PS3 release still very close (since you mentioned then it was about a week out?)

Thanks again for everything. You guys are the best!

Version 1.0.0.0 has just been released.

A small ‘changelog’ I made -

RetroArch PS3 1.0.0.0

The list of changes is too exhaustive to be summarized, so just a couple of highlights:

• VBA Next performance improvements - all games should now play at fullspeed more or less (even games like Final Fantasy 5/6)
    • Revised menu - should now have the same functionality as all other RetroArch versions
    • New ‘Detect Core’ function - you no longer have to switch a core and then select a ROM - with this mode you can select a ROM and RetroArch will look at the file extension and start the core associated to it. If there are multiple cores that support this file extension, then it will give you a list of supported cores and you can select which one you want to use.
    • Much improved OpenGL driver - the PS3 version of RetroArch should now have the lowest input/video latency out of all RetroArch versions (with the exception of maybe KMS/libdrm on Linux).
    • Comes with MAME 2003 now. Mortal Kombat 1/2/3/Ultimate should all play at fullspeed with the DCS Hack enabled. *- Many more changes…

Thank you so much for your hard work! :slight_smile:

Quick question(s)… I saw that eek eek did some optimizations on the Genesis core for libretto over the course of the last couple of months. Have any of those found their way into this release for PS3?

Does this version of Retroarch running a little faster, more optimized in general across the board (insofar as when filters and shaders are used, etc.)?

Does this version also include the updated version of spookyfox’s mdapt shaders (i.e. v2.6a) or would I have to download those separately?

And finally, is the cex version available to download?

In any case, thanx again for your amazing dedication!

@squarepusher

There has been a CEX version posted: http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t= … post715627

However when i tried it, I noticed this feature does not seem to work properly

• New ‘Detect Core’ function - you no longer have to switch a core and then select a ROM - with this mode you can select a ROM and RetroArch will look at the file extension and start the core associated to it. If there are multiple cores that support this file extension, then it will give you a list of supported cores and you can select which one you want to use.

It’s setup like it was in prior versions where you can only see the extensions that core supports. So there is no way to say select A NES core when you have MAME going. as those roms will not appear, so therefore this option can not work.

(UNLESS I am missing something, which is very possible because i am very tired at the moment lol). Anyhow i figured i give you a headsup. Now time or bed for me. :slight_smile:

As always great work!!! Thanks and very much appreciated.

Perhaps they forgot to move the ‘info’ files to ‘ps3/pkg/USRDIR/cores/info’ before packaging it. The Detect Core functionality is dependent on these core info files being there.

They can look at the original DEX PKG to see where these info files should go in the app structure. If you are building from source, the info files can be found inside the libretro-super directory (dist/info).

I do not see in the DEX package where those files are. They seem to be missing in it as well.

I did see the files on the super libretro repo. So i placed the PS3 related ones into

USRDIR/cores/info : That did not work, (if i did it correctly)

Also, how are zip files handled now? Will RetroArch be able to see the extension in the zip, or do non-arcade (fba/mame) games need to be unzipped?

EDIT: Noticed the cores have the Added _ps3 at the end (most likely messed up my test) renaming to same name (as .info file). will report back in a few minutes.

EDIT 2: Renamed the same and still the same.

Thank you for this release! Just verifying that the MAME used in this v1.0.0 release is MAME 0.78? Stupid question, but can newer version MAME sets be used with this version or is it best just to get a MAME 0.78 (or whatever version it’s using) set?

Thanks!

NEW mame sets will not work. at all.

For best results you need 0.78 romset. (almost every game plays well).

Also note: that on MAME the Info pop-up screen before every game you must. hit on the DPAD left to right to signal OK.

Great - thanks for the info!

I have two problems

1. After running Multiman, it works properly. However, when I run this after rebooting it says “You must insert disk error 8001003D.”

2. My ps3 recognize my external hard drive as dev_usb007. How can I load roms in my external HDD, dev_USB007?

1. My ps3 recognize my external hard drive as dev_usb007. How can I load roms in my external HDD, dev_USB007?

This will have to be fixed in a update i suppose as it only displays dev_usb 1-6 (not sure on that just speculating). but have you tried a different USB port. That should make it show up a different USB slot.

Squarepusher a few things i have noticed with the PS3 version:

1.) As i stated above about the Detect Core feature 2.) Paths/Controller configs are reported not be saving (havent checked myself, but seen multiple reports) 3.) this one is minor but would be nice to have the option to change. (as i dont see one) the ability to change “O” to “X” in the menus. Just kind of weird having it as “O” now. (but nothing that someone couldnt get used to) 4.) Also i noticed there is no longer a way to change the main-menu skins.(i can manually by changing the name in a file manager or FTP)

Will update more if i see something else, but overall nice update. Thanks for everything :slight_smile:

Any chance of compiling this for CEX consoles?

DEX consoles are nearly a year out of date. There hasn’t really been a useful DEX Custom Firmware update leaked since 4.21. Most PS3 users are on 4.46/4.53 Cobra7 CFW now.

If too much work, can someone at least post a complete tutorial on getting a proper PS3 CEX compile environment set up?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, the unofficial CEX versions don’t work well at all. Just have to wait until an official version of that.

In the meanwhile, I found success by renaming the cores and simply swapping them out with the shell files I have installed (i do retroXMB and so far haven’t run into problems doing this, etc.)

The CEX version works fine. Just saying it doesnt work. Does nothing to help. :slight_smile: Explain the situation and one could help better. But i and many other’s can confirm the CEX version is fine.

What i have been seeing is people are installing RetroArch v1.0.0.0 over older releases. (which seems to cause issues) I would recommend a fresh install. or you could try deleting the retroarch.CFG file first. These two things have got it working for people who state that it would not work otherwise. but a fresh install is usually much easier.

As far as retroXMB goes i was on the official team of that (not lead dev) (testing & ideas). I have not messed with retroXMB with v1.0.0.0 of RetroXMB yet, but in the past when you would make packages like that without modified cores if you changed your core it would render the package useless. As it changed settings in the CFG file. That why it used slightly modified cores that disable the changing of cores. So be aware of that issue.

Yea i done proved you wrong over at PSX-Scene about the DEX stuff, Also there is a CEX version there (proper), (less time complaining and just a few seconds of reading would get you your answers)

You really need to understand alot before you start spouting off, seriously.

Sry for my naivety on the matter. I am a noob at this. :wink:

In any case, I would love an easy way to update my old retroXMB games without deleting them. Any ideas? The problem with deleting the cfg file, i think, would also rid the program of it’s autoboot functionality, wouldn’t it? Since you were on the team on that project: Any way to update retroXMB so I could use these new cores with that program? Or, if not, a poor man’s approach (which I’d prefer) where I could go into existing folders/retroXMBgames and fix them so they’d work?

Thx again for your advice!

Yes with RetroXMB you never want to delete the CFG file as there is Custom Option there and can result in a useless package. Well the thing about RetroXMB it was never finished to the vision we had. Our lead dev is gone and no sign of him. I started the project with him (after he approached the idea to me) but all code was written by him (i was an idea guy/tester/ and knew alot about the ins and outs of RetroArch). One good things Sqaurepusher made some changes in v0.9.9 to make RetroXMB less hacky after doobz the lead dev requested some things.

I have not even messed with any of the new version of RetroArch in relation to RetroXMB stuff. been very busy with so many v1.0 questions i think my inboxes are going to explode lol. I am not a “developer” i just had alot of ideas and knew how things operated on RetroArch (tested many things official and unofficial) . Since our lead dev went Missing we never had a current source code so some thing we would have to start from scratch. (but that is mostly for the app that creates the package)

Without testing anything myself yet on v1.0, i want to refrain from giving advice as i just do not know until i dig into. I do have a desire to revive the project but its not something i could do by myself. but i do have some devs in mind who could help.

Edit: If you do want to try a “poor man’s” approach the best way to see and would be the first thing i test personally would be changing the old cores with the new cores (MAKE SURE THE NAMES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME as they were before or how they are in the CFG file). but that could lead to issues and i just do not know yet until i dive in. I will test this a bit myself. also. So if you like just wait for my reply later today on this matter. :slight_smile: