RetroArch PS3 releases (v1.0.0.2)

[quote=“STLcardsWS”]

Yes with RetroXMB you never want to delete the CFG file as there is Custom Option there and can result in a useless package. Well the thing about RetroXMB it was never finished to the vision we had. Our lead dev is gone and no sign of him. I started the project with him (after he approached the idea to me) but all code was written by him (i was an idea guy/tester/ and knew alot about the ins and outs of RetroArch). One good things Sqaurepusher made some changes in v0.9.9 to make RetroXMB less hacky after doobz the lead dev requested some things.

I have not even messed with any of the new version of RetroArch in relation to RetroXMB stuff. been very busy with so many v1.0 questions i think my inboxes are going to explode lol. I am not a “developer” i just had alot of ideas and knew how things operated on RetroArch (tested many things official and unofficial) . Since our lead dev went Missing we never had a current source code so some thing we would have to start from scratch. (but that is mostly for the app that creates the package)

Without testing anything myself yet on v1.0, i want to refrain from giving advice as i just do not know until i dig into. I do have a desire to revive the project but its not something i could do by myself. but i do have some devs in mind who could help.

Edit: If you do want to try a “poor man’s” approach the best way to see and would be the first thing i test personally would be changing the old cores with the new cores (MAKE SURE THE NAMES ARE EXACTLY THE SAME as they were before or how they are in the CFG file). but that could lead to issues and i just do not know yet until i dive in. I will test this a bit myself. also. So if you like just wait for my reply later today on this matter. :)[/quote]

Thank you.

I did a bit of poor man’s reverse engineering and figured out a decent solution for retroXMB:

1. Go into multiman, find your retroxmb file folder in your “/dev_hdd0/game” folder and then DELETE the retroarch.cfg file.
  2. Next, find and delete the old core and put in the new core (don’t change the name).
  3. Load retroarch in your XMB, it will default to the new core and it creates a new .cfg file. Select this core in case it doesn’t know to default, etc.
  4. Go back into MM and find and copy the NEW retroarch.cfg file to your usb flash drive.
  5. Edit the new retroarch.cfg file with any text editor/hex editor to include/introduce this following line: libretro_rom_path = “/dev_hdd0/game/[PATH OF FILE FOLDER (e.g.MAME08522)]/USRDIR/cores/roms/[YOUR ROM (e.g.pacman.zip)]”

note: I placed it right under this line of code… libretro_path = “/dev_hdd0/game/game/[PATH OF FILE FOLDER (e.g.MAME08522)]/USRDIR/cores/mame078_libretro_ps3.SELF” 6) Save the file and put it back on your USB flash drive. 7) Go back into MM and copy the new and improved .cfg file from your USB flash drive back to the above file paths, hence replacing the old deleted .cfg. 8) Next copy the WHOLE file folder (e.g. MAME08522) to your USB flash drive. 9) Copy the WHOLE file folder to your PC desktop. 10) Using a hex editor/text editor find all instances of the rom and change the name to a new rom you might use and, of course, change the name of the file folder (from MAME08522 to–> MAME08523 or something like that, something new) and find all instances of the old MAME08522 with your hex editor app and REPLACE ALL with your new file ext (e.g. MAME08523). 11) Edit the PARAM.SFO using a PARAM.SFO editor and change the file folder name to the NEW name (e.g. MAME08523) and the name of the game. 12) You probably want to change the ART (i.e. the ICON0.PNG and PIC0.PNG files) to something else (since playing GOLDEN AXE with, say, PACMAN box art would be kinda lame. 13) Then, assuming you have WINDOWS 7, and assuming you have the latest version of ALDOSTOOL installed, you need to RIGHT CLICK the folder and look for the “CREATE PKG” option. Click that, it will build a new .pkg for your PS3. 14) Transfer the new .PKG to your USB flash drive and go back to your jailbroken PS3. Once plugged in, install your NEW .pkg like you would any PSN content. 15) Viola! New retroXMB but with the newest CORE and different rom.

Again, a poor man’s approach. Nowhere near as easy as using retroXMB but still a way of creating new retroXMB games using these wonderful new cores.

Tested on my PS3 rebug v4.46.

Thanks for that info. All i did was switch the core and rename it to what is in the CFG file of the retroXMB created package. Seems to work fine, only tested a couple of roms but out of respect to RetroArch developers and sqaurepusher i do not think this is the correct thread for this discussion. You are more then welcome to PM me or start a post in the Off topic part of the forum here (if that is okay with Sqaurepusher) or find me over at PSX-Scene. Just this discussion should stay official…

Hey Squarepusher, thanks for the update! I just installed Retroarch 1.0.0 CEX and I’m having a serious problem with trying to alter the controls. When I go to the input options screen and try to change a button (specifically I’m trying to change the D-Pad to the left stick) it just kicks me back to the input options screen w/o being able to actually change the button. Can’t seem to get this to work. Anyone else have this issue?

Are there different CEX v1.0 version out there?

ANYONE that has problems with anything you need to state the issues. Seriously… The CEX version is working flawlessly on my Console. running Cobra-Rogero 4.46. I did a fresh install of RetroArch (deleting older version then installing) and works fine.

So what issues are you having? because the issues i have seen have been alot of user related error’s and there is no way to tell if the resign is bad on perhaps someone’s CFW if they are not giving the proper details

So if you have problems with the CEX resign please state the following as this helps so much:

1.) What CFW are you on? 2.) Have you done a fresh install? 3.) What exactly are the issues you are having? because some of them may not even be related to the resign. 4.) Do a fresh reboot and see if it works without entering multiMAN. (as mine does) but some said they had to boot multiMAN first. Which has been an issue with various things in the past but seeing as the CFW i am is not having that issue i doubt it a bad resign.

Basically details are needed for anyone having trouble…Since some of us have no issue at all. Other then a couple of minor broken features that is not the fault of the resign. (like the detect core feature)

So details everyone :slight_smile: No one is mind readers here hahaha :slight_smile:

ANYONE that has problems with anything you need to state the issues. Seriously… The CEX version is working flawlessly on my Console. running Cobra-Rogero 4.46. I did a fresh install of RetroArch (deleting older version then installing) and works fine.

So what issues are you having? because the issues i have seen have been alot of user related error’s and there is no way to tell if the resign is bad on perhaps someone’s CFW if they are not giving the proper details

So if you have problems with the CEX resign please state the following as this helps so much:

1.) What CFW are you on? 2.) Have you done a fresh install? 3.) What exactly are the issues you are having? because some of them may not even be related to the resign. 4.) Do a fresh reboot and see if it works without entering multiMAN. (as mine does) but some said they had to boot multiMAN first. Which has been an issue with various things in the past but seeing as the CFW i am is not having that issue i doubt it a bad resign.

Basically details are needed for anyone having trouble…Since some of us have no issue at all. Other then a couple of minor broken features that is not the fault of the resign. (like the detect core feature)

So details everyone :slight_smile: No one is mind readers here hahaha :)[/quote]

Okay, on rebug 4.46 running latest version of MM.

Get this error every time. “You must insert disk error 8001003D.”

If I boot into MM and log out of it, then this problem goes away.

Yes, did a fresh install. Deleted the old one. Did this several times. Tried both CEX versions out there (pretty sure they are the same, just re-posted).

In any case, this is the case. Not sure why this isn’t happening to you. Could it be the latest version of MM? Lastgame? Would an update to MM fix this? Not sure why your retroarch would work and others would not if using the same .pkg. Like to know your secret.lol…

Not the biggest prob in the world. Worst case for now is, turn on PS3 and boot into MM which I do half the time anyways.

So details everyone :slight_smile: No one is mind readers here hahaha :)[/quote]

Okay, on rebug 4.46 running latest version of MM.

Get this error every time. “You must insert disk error 8001003D.”

If I boot into MM and log out of it, then this problem goes away.

Yes, did a fresh install. Deleted the old one. Did this several times. Tried both CEX versions out there (pretty sure they are the same, just re-posted).

In any case, this is the case. Not sure why this isn’t happening to you. Could it be the latest version of MM? Lastgame? Would an update to MM fix this? Not sure why your retroarch would work and others would not if using the same .pkg. Like to know your secret.lol…

Not the biggest prob in the world. Worst case for now is, turn on PS3 and boot into MM which I do half the time anyways.[/quote] A quick google PS3 wiki

0x8001003D	 = Pointer is null. When related to PARAM.SFO : "to play this game, you must insert the following disc. Insert the disc, and then start the game again. (8001003D)": can be resolved by pointing to (only) other PARAM.SFO with Lxx folder. In this case, it s similar than 0x8001003E but with some PARAM.SFO parameter (TITLE_ID?) embedded. Refresh it by using this Lxx or others [Tricks].

Sounds like something is trying to be loaded but exists on some consoles and not others? People who had previous installs of a certain version maybe, a multi man error (has MM even been updated to use this version yet?) I dunno?

But I do know DEX and CEX file structures are different and each need carefully signing properly to get these correctly converted or they will point to things which don’t exist.

Here is the issue, I did not think it was the resign to be honest, (but thanks to your guys details) it must be. I know we had this issue developing RetroXMB, and in the past. but i seriously did not think it was this issue this time as it working for me on Cobra-Rogero 4.46. but here is the issue. I do not have the tools needed so it will be up to someone but here is a post (fmonths ago) from my good friend doobz (creator of RetroXMB). This is what is needed to correct the issue

did you by any chance try signing the cores with scetool? if this is the case, then cores error if you have done a coldboot. You need to use make_self_wc.exe for the cores to start up at coldboot correctly. Cores signed with scetool seem to work fine after you have loaded multiman or rebug toolbox once. From the testing i’ve done, only the EBOOT.BIN from the official pkg needs resigning for it to work on higher fw, not the cores. Why not create a patch package like you did before, that only overwrites the eboot.bin ? should be easier for everyone

greets, doobz

…So what issues are you having? …[/quote]

None I was only asking. Since so many different sites are offering the release and I only want to get sure.

I have only seen one CEX version (that i know of) . There are most likely mirrors of the same CEX version. Which sites are you speaking of?

Hello Squarepusher, thanks for the v1.0.0.1 release! The auto detect function is now working on the CEX version. Only problem is when trying to configure the controls. The Analog D-Pad Mode is not functioning to my knowledge, as well as I can’t change any button to Cross. I like to play NES with the B button as Square and A button as Cross. However, like I said, I can’t set the A button to Cross. Any thoughts? Thanks!

New CEX version works great. Doesn’t have the MM boot problem.

Also, this works fine with retroXMB. Just be sure to rename the cores to the same name as the retroarch.cfg name in your previous folder as the name of the cores are ALL different now. But works great, and without glitches, using this method.

Thx for the Update.

i have done many fresh installs ,but my problem ramains the same everytime ,when retroarch boots, it wont recognize my dual shock directional buttons so i can use anything in it

ps3 60gb ,4.46 cobra/rogero cfw

Strange. I know they don’t work in the game itself (it’s even noted as “Broken” until future releases). But as buttons to access the menu they seem to work fine. Do mean in-games or at all, period? Im running 4.46 rebug PS3.

the first screen of retroarch shows buttons mapping,within it when i press any button ie:directional dpad,x,o,ps etc it will give without any reason an unsigned action to all the buttons.

to restore defaults i will have to unistall and reinstall and again after any button is pushed in first screen it will unisign them again making the whole emu non functioning as it wont take any command ecxept X or O i don’t remember

note that prior versions of 1.0 all work but they don’t have mame so i haven’t got many interest in them,this issue comes with rogero/cobra 4.46 when i was on rebug 4.46 it could not even boot ,error code was 8001000something

any clue ?

Some of the older versions of it are bad or something, or signed wrong. I dunno. Just go onto pax-scene and find that link. It’s works well. But you might need to delete the old one. Reboot your PS. Then perform a clean install.

older ones work 100% but are without mame

its the newer one that doesn’t work i already done tons of rebootings and fresh installs from different fonts but it wont work no matter ,my conclusion is that the problem is because of the app version 1.0.0 and not because a user error or bad ps3

The issue I’m seeing now the 1.0.0.1 is with overscan. I don’t know what effect the “Crop Overscan” setting is supposed to have, but apprently it has no effect. However, most older MAME Roms (PAc-MAn, Donkey Kong) lose their top and bottom text off the edges of the screen unless I set a custom aspect ratio that is severely stretched out. Same for lots of SMS games in Genesis GX plus. Is there a way to set the Default “Core Provided” screen res/aspect ratio to have a default 3% overscan compensation on the PS3 port?

after playing with the custom aspect ratio settings a bit - you can get the overscaned part of the screen to fit when you set integer scale off, and manually set the upper left and lower right corner values smaller to fit the screen properly. The problem with this is, in MAME - every game has a different original aspect ratio, and the value you’re setting is a fixed screen resolution, so when you use this method to fit say Donkey Kong (US) to the screen correctly, then you go to run something like Marble Madness or 720 - it retains the dimensions you set for Donkey Kong, and the aspect ratio is completely wrong, because Donkey Kong is a Vertical orientation game with an original 228x388 resolution, but 720 or Marble Madness are more standard TV size horizontal orientation at 512x384.

The only way to correctly fix it is if Retroarch overall has an Overscan compensation setting, like Multiman Does, which sets the same original aspect ratio but adjusts the overall output regardless of rom or Core being used, by the screen fill percentage.