Take a read here:

2 Likes

Thanks a Lot @Cyber !

Would be these ?

shadowMask = "6.000000"
slotwidth = "1.000000"
double_slot = "1.000000"
1 Like

Kinda but not exactly. This might help you with the slot mask sizes.

This is the updated Mask and Layout List

The Slot Mask Width (slotwidth) should match the number of pixels in the mask so if you’re using Mask 6, which is RGB the slotwidth would have to be 3.

The Slot Mask Height (double_slot) should be whatever height you would like it to be, so you can use your eyes to figure this one out.

Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

1 Like

4 Likes

Honestly, the type of slot mask being used here does not work very well at 1080p. (although a black and white slotmask works great, shameless plug: Nesguy's masks. Feedback wanted)

The magenta/green mask also works well with the slotmask settings for the 360 TVL presets although may not look as good with some of the newer, “exotic” subpixel layouts, which shouldn’t be a problem as these settings are intended for older displays.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t the slotmask width be +1 the number of colors in the mask? If using an RGB mask for example, a slotmask width of 3 will draw a black line over the blue line. A width of 4 should be used, but that gives an absurdly low TVL at 1080p (unless the goal is to emulate a small portable TV or something). Also a width of 4 looks very strange with a height of 1, but a height of 2 has the aforementioned problem of being very rough at 1080p and also doesn’t look good with overscaled, core provided aspect ratios- something about the odd number of pixels (5x) per scanline does not play well with a slotmask height of 2.

3 Likes

1080p, Mask 6 (RGB), Slot Mask Width 3

1440p, Mask 10 (RGBX), Slot Mask Width 4

4K, Mask 12 (RRGGBBX), Slot Mask Width 7

Feel free to zoom in to get a proper look at the mask patterns.

3 Likes

Ok yes- slot mask width should match the width of the mask. For some reason I was forgetting that the vertical black lines are not drawn by the slotmask (silly mistake).

I maintain that the slotmask with a height of 2 and width of 3 looks strange in the 1080p shot because it interferes with the scanlines at that resolution. Another thing missing is any representation of the vertical black lines, which would lower the TVL to 270 if you attempted it at 1080p. The main thing is the weird moire pattern resulting from the interaction of the mask and scanlines, which is very unpleasant to look at, IMO. The frequency of the slot mask pattern is too similar to that of the scanline pattern at this resolution.

Even at 1440, there’s still an odd moire pattern of sorts that results from the interaction of the mask and scanlines. At 4k, it looks fine, of course, because the slotmask black line is 1 pixel wide and you have a lot more pixels for the scanline gaps.

2 Likes

1 Like

Strange that you mentioned this because I’m not seeing any moire patterns using these settings. I took them using my 4K OLED with scaling disabled and the desktop resolution adjusted to match the native resolution I was trying to simulate.

Unfortunately, I don’t have my 1080p screen setup at the moment to do native testing at that resolution but I did notice some strange moire pattern briefly using a preset I can’t remember (but most likely one of my Slot Mask presets) in Super Street Fighter II - SNES I think just before I had to dismantle my 1080p setup. I never really got the chance to investigate further.

1 Like

It’s very clear to me on a 1080p screen. The pattern looks like one wavy horizontal line, followed by two straight horizontal lines, followed by one wavy horizontal line, etc. The frequency of the slot mask pattern is too close to the scanline pattern. The scanline gaps are around 2 px wide and the slot mask lines are 1 px wide, so there’s some interference.

On an analogue display we wouldn’t have this problem because the scanline gaps would fall on different parts of the phosphor triad instead of repeating perfectly in a pattern.

3 Likes

1 Like

Yes, certain mask/scanlines combinations seem to perhaps need specific (even) scaling, this also affects e.g. Lottes 4. I thought this was this looking somewhat strange looking on my Surface laptop with scaling of 7 (PC 200p game =1400px), ok with scale 6.

2 Likes

Oh, this is not what I was referring to actually. These look like what I describe as “runt” scanlines, where some of the scanlines seem malformed (narrower) compared to others.

Since I started recognizing these types of anomalies, my solution has been to increase the Integer Scale Offset or Integer Scale %. I suspect the same might be achievable using Non-Integer scale %.

You can try it and see.

Also, don’t want to derail RetroGames4K’s thread anymore.

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

This might be the best I have ever seen Donkey Kong Country look in any preset. I am very impressed.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m trying my best :smiley:

2 Likes

1 Like