RetroGames4K's Mega Bezel screen pics, gameplays & custom settings

This isn’t what I did. I just suggested that @RetroGames4K preserve what he has right now, which has its own intrinsic value before starting to adjust.

I also suggested that representations of “bad” or incorrectly calibrated sets have their place as well and should also be preserved.

So in other words, don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater and also shared my own advice which is to always let your eyes be your ultimate guide.

What you bring to the table is valuable but I’m more inclusive than exclusive when it comes to these things so I think every different and unique look represents more variety in the grand sceme of things.

So you can look at all of this as a sort of hyperbole of how much I admire @RetroGames4K’s presets and his approach to preset development!

1 Like

Sure, always save a backup copy of any settings before adjusting. That’s good practice. I wasn’t suggesting that these settings be discarded, just that it might be worth exploring options for additional improvement in the objective image quality, as well.

I also just want to know what’s going on with that TV, though.

1 Like

Maybe I’m not identifying this correctly, but in that Last Bronx (?) shot, there are hints of lines in the dark area in the center? Also in the Sonic shot, in the darker green shades of the flowers. Gaps can be really tiny on small sets + they get even smaller with 50 Hz resolution.

Examples: 10 Inch:

12 inch:

14 inch (my own):

You’ll see that the gaps are in darker areas of the hair, the rest, not so much.

3 Likes

That’s more or less what you’d expect on a 10 inch, though. Perhaps the difference in the 14 inches is purely down to the quality of the electron guns and variations in beam focus, although I’m still wondering if there’s something else going on with Retro’s TV (is that an emulator or a console? What happens if contrast is turned down?)

1 Like

The Pics from crt are real consoles, Last bronx is a 480i game I think, also my saturn is pal an maybe has to do with that. Also I have a Dreamcast but displays in 60hz, so maybe it’s because of that. Here is the thing, Dreamcast games look more like you want and is in 240p with suite test, So Contrast is ok. here examples of real Dreamcast pics:

Sega Saturn displays in 224p the same as Sega Mega Drive, so these two consoles depend on how scanlines are settled, per example for these two I set (int. Scanlines mode to 0), If I don’t do that it looks odd. My pictures above It was made with the trigger scanlines to 100, and fake scanlines on. Now I set trigger scanlines 650 default and turned fake scanlines off, and I achieved what you want, but for me looks a bit dark. Here Examples from 0 to 2 Scanline mode…

Mode 0 Mode 1 Mode 2

2 Likes

Ok, yeah. I can see the scanlines in those photos. To compensate for the darkness, you might try increasing the post brightness a bit, or play with the bright boosts.

You can also check contrast with the gray ramp pattern or color bars - too much and you won’t be able to distinguish between the lightest bars. Ideally, you’d set contrast to the highest point where all the bars are still easily visible.

2 Likes

Ok so here is another example: my setting from before:

And setting with pronunciated scanlines:

2 Likes

I think you already know which one I prefer :wink:

But seriously, both look great. Just need to play with the brightness options a bit.

2 Likes

well honestly I like it more now, I raised post brightness to 1.10 and chosen scanline 1.0, Maybe I should raise post brightness a bit more, so It would match my first setting then. Thanks

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

3 Likes

Greetings @RetroGames4K,

Congratulations on this milestone! I’m really looking forward to trying these, however I can’t seem to get the password to work.

Also the rar file seems a bit huge for some slangp presets and there seems to be many other shaders and assets from the RetroArch folder included?

Is this how it’s supposed to be?

I can’t the password right either. The rar files contains a clean version of Retroarch as well, that is why the file is so big.

I got it. Just change the lower case “k” at the end to an upper case “K” and it will work

2 Likes

Sorry I made a Mistake it was capital K at the end of the password, I already changed it. The pack only has basic retroarch and mega bezel with the preset…

1 Like

3 Likes