Scrolling Flickering

I’ve noticed scrolling can be an issue with Lakka and various emulated systems. Edges seem to darken during horizontal scrolling and particularly with high-contrast backgrounds. Single-width pixel elements tend to be the biggest problem. At times, this translates to an annoying flicker.

Any ideas on how to solve this? I wonder if a blurring effect (emulating composite/RF video) would soften the image enough to minimize the effect.

Are you sure that’s not just your display? Depending on you device, you can try a shader. RPis aren’t powerful enough for the NTSC shaders, though.

I suppose that’s a possibility. I can try a monitor and see how it looks. This was not an expensive TV but it would be sad if technology had gone backwards, in that sense ;p Back in the day, smooth scrolling was smooth scrolling…

Incidentally, I’m using an Odroid C1+.

ah, your board may be able to handle the ntsc shaders, if you’d like to give one of them a shot.

So, the “stock” or “bilinear” shader do produce better results. They look the same, to me.

I also notice that certain emulated systems seem to exhibit the problem more than others. Right now, Genesis seems to have the most trouble.

However, the display definitely makes a difference. The effect is minimal (if it’s visible at all) on the monitor I tested. The display seems like the main thing to investigate, though I am curious about the possible difference in emulators.

Ok, it sounds like you might be describing uneven pixel scaling, as well. Does the issue go away if you go to settings > video and put the aspect ratio to the 1:1 PAR setting?