Shader that makes 60 fps content smooth(er), on 160 hz display

Is there a shader that acomplishes this? Or can it be created? Maybe involving some type of pulldown…?

I know there’s a motion-interpolation shader, but the results are not the best.

Thank you guys! :hugs:

Edit: i know the option of playing in 120hz (which fits mathematically) is better in theory, but i’ve previously made a topic detailing that the results involving Swap Interval, are very inconsistent, so 160 hz is much smoother in the end, now i’m looking for the best way to marry 60 fps with 160 hz.

The shader system runs in sync with content frames (i.e., ~60 Hz) rather than monitor frames, so it can’t really help there, unfortunately.

1 Like

Oh, that makes sense.

Fortunately the sync is actually very good. Inside the games, the slight judder is unnoticeable (a touch of motion-blur also helps with the perception of smoothness).

One little question (unrelated): Does frame-delay still work with Vsync disabled? Or is it tied to Vsync?

Thanks hunter!

1 Like

I was going to say “tied to vsync” but now that I’m thinking of it, I don’t think it is. It should delay the emulation process regardless of sync status.

1 Like

How interesting.

I tested earlier, before asking, and the penalty of performance associated with certain frame delay number, didn’t seem to be there…but maybe i gained a bit of headroom from the disabled Vsync. I will test again, with more drastic frame delay values, to see if it tanks the performance.

There’s no reason to use it if vsync is off (or when using high refresh rate VRR.) Even if it works, it wouldn’t do anything useful.

Was hoping to shove off some delay in input. But i guess it needs to be around the max value to actually make a difference.