Shaders crash Lakka, enable OpenGL 2.0 on i915 driver?

Hi there!

Lakka works fine on an old Acer Aspire 3680 until I try to load a shader preset, then it crashes.

To get it to run at all I had to add menu_shader_pipeline=“0” to the retroarch.cfg file and the logs on crashes show a bunch of GL messages followed by a seg fault (https://pastebin.com/hYAN9x6c). I also found this on archlinux.org saying my gpu generation has been dropped to OpenGL 1.4 since mesa 17 which means that according to this article shaders just can’t work on that old hardware since they need OpenGL2.x (they also shouldn’t crash though). The archlinux source also lists a fix by enabling two options in the ~/.drirc file but I can’t get that to work.

Any ideas as to how I could enable OpenGL2.0 after all? Is there any way I can check what version of OpenGL my GPU can actually run? (glxinfo is not installed on Lakka)

Here’s the GPU Log, if needed:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a2] (rev 03) Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [1025:0110] Kernel driver in use: i915 00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27a6] (rev 03)

Thanks for your help!

The RetroArch logs will give you the GL version, however I wouldn’t even bother and find a new gpu…

1 Like

945GM only shave hardware support for OpenGL 1.4.

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t think to look for information on that, but you’re right! Well, guess @natinusala s advice is the best solution after all…

Thank you all